Newest Members
OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843
12365 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
gryffindor (67), KevinSweeney (57), latinflavor815 (52), latin_flavor_815 (52), RTMark (33), sabooka (35), southpaw10 (46)
Who's Online
7 registered (JW1230, 5 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12365 Members
74 Forums
63551 Topics
444008 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#294474 - 07/07/09 06:27 AM Smoking habits
b869 Offline

Loc: Philippines
I'm planing to quit smoking on my birthday.Its hard because its ne of the thing that helps me clam down and wake up..

Well I eat a lot of hard candy it helps a little but its not really that affective.

I wish I never started smoking.... but I that time I didn't got a chose

any advice on how to quit w/o using a patch???

Marvin

Edited by b869 (07/07/09 08:01 AM)

When thing get complicated go back to simplicity

Harvey Fierstein
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.

#294529 - 07/07/09 04:01 PM Re: Smoking habits [Re: b869]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Ronald Reagan quit chewing jelly beans (or so he said), but if you can get someone like your dad to buy you the patches, the gum, or the lozenges it would be much easier for you to quit. Without any of those nicotine-replacement aids you will go through a withdrawal period of perhaps a week of intense cravings, night sweats, and bad dreams. The bad dreams might continue for some time in fact, in which you will get your cigarette and just when you are lighting it you will wake up, sometimes with your heart racing. One of the quitting methods here involves taking the anti-depressant Zyban for a few days after initially quitting but you would likely have to involve your doctor to use this product. You could also use Chantix to block nicotine receptors in your brain but I have heard that Chantix has some bad side-effects.

Just keep your hard candy or jelly beans in your pocket where you used to carry your cigarettes and when you unconsciously reach for a smoke you will get a piece of candy instead. Before your birthday I would recommend trying to cut-down from full-flavor cigarettes to lights then ultra lights, which will reduce your nicotine intake over time. Then try to cut-down on the number of ultra light cigarettes before you approach your quit date. Get rid of all ashtrays, lighters, and try really hard to avoid public ashtrays too. Get some sleep after you quit and drink plenty of water too. Maybe try some chewable vitamin C after you quit too. Initially you may have to stay away from friends who smoke too.

It is a good decision to try to quit now while you are still young. Good luck with your attempt. Your first chance is the easiest chance.

Mark

#294560 - 07/07/09 09:53 PM Re: Smoking habits [Re: Trucker51]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Cold Turkey is the only way to do it. Be miserable. Embrace it. Face it. Conquer it.

#294565 - 07/07/09 10:20 PM Re: Smoking habits [Re: b869]
Stormpen Offline

Loc: NYC, US
I'm gearing up toward the last week of smoking myself. I've been taking Chantix, which does help with the cravings (took it before and quit for 3 weeks before something nasty fell out of my memory and I started again). A lot of people report difficulty sleeping - not surprising considering withdrawals have begun. The nausea a lot of people report isn't either - though I find this typically showed up after having a cigarette.

Remove smoking from your thinking might help as well - keep busy, and if you find your mind wandering to cigarettes, do something to distract yourself. Long showers, long walks, push-ups - it's all good.

Other than that, having small mints, tic-tacs, lifesavers, etc. around to focus on when a strong craving hits can also help. A friend cut cubes of fruit up and put them in a lunchbox, and used those to counteract the hand-to-mouth pleasure habit.

Good luck mate, hope to see you on the other side.

P.S. if you go a couple of days without a cig, you'll start to notice how much they stink. I never knew how much until I quit the first time...

#294608 - 07/08/09 05:27 AM Re: Smoking habits [Re: Stormpen]
b869 Offline

Thanks guys..

This is my 3rd attempt. all those attempts went will till something bad happens. I hope this time I could stay stron g and stop smoking forever!...

Marvin

Harvey Fierstein
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.

#294613 - 07/08/09 07:10 AM Re: Smoking habits [Re: b869]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Marv.........

I took me 3 serious attempts before I was successful.

Failure is acceptable, as long as you don't give up on ever trying again.

#294676 - 07/08/09 08:59 PM Re: Smoking habits [Re: Hauser]
Stormpen Offline

Loc: NYC, US
Originally Posted By: Hauser
Failure is acceptable, as long as you don't give up on ever trying again.

Yep. Don't give up giving up.

Hmmm... seems like there might be a bit of a comedic bit in there along the lines of "Who's on first?" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShMA85pv8M)

#294767 - 07/09/09 04:10 PM Re: Smoking habits [Re: Stormpen]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I'm backing you Marvin!
Think about all the benefits, and i don't only mean the fact that you wont have to take smoking breaks during MS chat and miss out on all the conversation, but all the health benefits too smile

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#294831 - 07/10/09 04:24 AM Re: Smoking habits [Re: king tut]
b869 Offline

Thanks Guys

I really hope I could be successful this time.

I'm quitting on my birthday cause its kinda a gift for my self in the future.

Marvin

Harvey Fierstein

#295063 - 07/12/09 07:36 PM Re: Smoking habits [Re: b869]
Charlie24 Offline

Marvin I'm really glad your gonna try and knock this smoking habit out my friend. We will be happy to be here and help ya out.

It's been proven that once you quite smoking successfully after about 10 years your lungs are able to repair themselves.

Really fascinating the amount of crap we throw at our body and are able to tolerate, I'm amazed what little knowledge I've learned.

Your gonna do great my friend.

Charles.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.