Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
2 registered (bluesky, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63412 Topics
443342 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#289090 - 05/27/09 01:40 PM Re: Telling women about your past [Re: Juni]
shoes_untied Offline

Coaster,

While reading your original post I was overwhelmed at one point. It sounds evil but when I saw "Lots of torture, whippings, violence,..." I was so happy. I thought that I wouldn't share those things in common with anyone else. I know it sounds stupid but I thought in that way I was still alone.

I found this site last night and I'm still learning how "not alone" I am. I guess I just wanted to thank you for sharing that aspect of your abuse.

Justin

#290595 - 06/07/09 02:58 AM Re: Telling women about your past [Re: shoes_untied]
coaster Offline

You're very welcome Justin. I'm glad you know you are not alone.

Coaster

P.S. In future, I'll put the note "triggers" into the message.

#293462 - 06/29/09 01:10 AM Re: Telling women about your past [Re: Juni]
inpainincanada Offline

Loc: edmonton
the biggest mistake i ever made was not telling my ex before I was married about my struggles. You dont have to wear a sign, or disclose if you are only dating casualy, but if you are in a serious relationship or looking for a comitment, then some disclosure is required, in my opinion.

#294216 - 07/04/09 03:20 PM Re: Telling women about your past [Re: inpainincanada]
movingforward23 Offline

First let me say that I really appreciate the honesty and forthrightness on this site... I have been struggling with this for a long time but I really feel like this is the kind of place I was looking for to begin finding answers/myself.

This is very personal but I am going to do my best to get through it all in one post... warning for those who don't want to know too much about me.

I am a probable survivor of abuse that would have taken place before I was 5 or 6 years old. I say probable because I only have one memory of it that for many years I convinced myself was a dream/sick fantasy. I do not have ANY memories of my life before first grade (age 7) and have never been able to explain why that is. Over the years I have come to put the pieces together (low self-esteem, phobia of sex and sexual intercourse, extreme guilt and shame about sex, panic attacks, fear of being touched by any person) and believe that I was sexually abused by my grandfather, who has since passed away. The biggest aftermath of this has been a struggle with my sexual orientation.

Right now I am 23 years old and have for the past few years identified as gay. This came as the result of several years of feeling no strong sexual attraction towards anyone. When I first started to masturbate (age 13 or so, shortly after the death of my grandfather), I thought of boys about my age being tied up by older men, which incidentally coincides with my one memory of abuse. I have never fantastized about myself in any kind of sexual situation, but characters I have created. (And I'm aware that dissociative identity disorder is common in survivors of abuse, but let me assure you I am entirely aware that they are fictional people I created and no part of myself.) At the time I was beginning to date a girl in my class, who I felt a very strong emotional attachment to, but nothing physically. We kissed once in two years of dating and it felt extremely uncomfortable. I had no desire for any sexual intercourse with anyone of either sex.

In high school, I began to develop what I suspected were crushes on guys but never acted on them. I avoided dating until my senior year of college, where I was in a short-lived and sexually unsatisfying relationship with a male. At that point my family had been pressuring me to date women and ultimately my mother cornered me and asked me if I was gay. I told her I thought so and have been "out" to my family and close friends ever since.

After college I moved to a different city and am selectively "out" to my friends and coworkers. I have my first real boyfriend and am starting to realize that our relationship is severely troubled. I have never been able to climax in the presence of anyone (including the current bf) and have difficulty maintaining an erection for more than a few minutes at a time. When I do get an erection, it's thinking about tying the other person up/being tied up. I feel as though this is more of a sexual festishization than an actual physical attraction to my boyfriend or anyone else I have been with. During the time I have identified as gay I have not thought about women sexually and have not seriously entertained the idea of dating one, with the exception of my best friend whom I have been close to ever since third grade (and in fifth grade, before puberty, I believed I was in love with.) We live in different cities now and I have told her I am gay, but I believe she does have romantic feelings for me.

My problem now is the relationship in which I have found myself. I have disclosed to my boyfriend that I believe I was abused and that I have never been able to "perform" sexually. He has been nice and understanding about it, but it is beginning to put a strain on the relationship. He has said several times he suspects that I am not gay, and I don't know what to say to him.

At this point in my life I have not dated a woman since early high school (14-15) and have never attempted to hook up with one. The last thing I want to do is lead anyone on (whether it be my boyfriend or a "test" woman) and I'm quite confused by it. I have never been effeminate and am extremely uncomfortable identifying as gay, especially since I am finding myself repulsed by so much of the physical component of my current relationship and all my past encounters with men. I am open to the possibility that it may be internalized homphobia combined with low self-esteem and emotional vulnerability, but I am not sure. I am planning to move again within the next few months to a city about an hour away. I do not know how long I can continue faking my way through the relationship I am in, but I wouldn't have the first idea how to approach a girl romantically.

If anyone can relate to this in any way, I would really appreciate any help or advice you can give me. Thanks much for reading.

"Mark"

#294221 - 07/04/09 04:21 PM Re: Telling women about your past [Re: movingforward23]
myboyhoodfears Offline

Edited by myboyhoodfears (08/31/09 12:24 PM)

#294231 - 07/04/09 06:23 PM Re: Telling women about your past [Re: myboyhoodfears]
InsideTheWall Offline

I'm straight Mark, but what you posted resonates with me. I think you should break off this relationship and explore your hetero side a bit, which you're considering. Your boyfriend is probably expecting you to do this, but be gentle about it. As for meeting women, I'm kind of at the same stage.

#294468 - 07/07/09 02:41 AM Re: Telling women about your past [Re: movingforward23]
krayoss Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: west
I wish you strength to bear with everything, you are not alone.
Peace&Love
Chris

Edited by krayoss (09/07/09 03:31 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.