Newest Members
Jerone, teba, Serpenta, mojo, James M
12114 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
4 registered (genedebs, Jas52, HD001, 1 invisible), 66 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12114 Members
73 Forums
62510 Topics
438084 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#294218 - 07/04/09 03:54 PM Rolling Stones
Happy Birthday michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Guys,

I am siting here listening to the STONES with a corona."Shattered" And my 2 year old daughter is dancing next to me to the song "Beast of Burden". "Anybody seen my baby?". Can't say I have always like the stones but it seems that they were here before god.So have "Smpathy for the Devil". And might be here after him."Tumbling Dice". Man will they ever "fade away"? I was born in 1961 and there were born 1962.So"Gimme Shelter". Seems to me they made the sound track to my life."Paint it Black". Unlike Zelleplin and other bands that i loved I don't think I will ever tire of the STONES. May they roll on forever. "You can't always get what you want" no truer words ever spoken.

Who wrote the sound track to your life?

"Miss you"

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#294222 - 07/04/09 04:44 PM Re: Rolling Stones [Re: michael banks]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Mike,

Interesting subject you started here. Nice about you and your daughter dancing. Beast of Burden is my favorite song by the Stones.

My first thought for my life would have to be Linda Ronstadt. Not so much the hits as the album cuts between them. So many songs, Hasten Down The Wind, Blowing Away, Try Me Again, Prisoner In Disguise (bet you guessed that one) and so many more. Plus the radio hits. To me she sang the emotions I had trouble expressing. I can recall where I was when her new albums came out and what was going on in my life. I was a young teen when I discovered her and glad I did.

Glad you did this. Gonna put some of her CDs on.

Daryl

#294225 - 07/04/09 05:01 PM Re: Rolling Stones [Re: prisonerID]
Happy Birthday michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Daryl,

It isn't it great how a certain song can transport you to a specific time and place in your life. Like a trigger for your memories of your youth.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#294281 - 07/05/09 09:50 AM Re: Rolling Stones [Re: michael banks]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Mike,

Yes, it is a great thing. I find it comforting, for the most part, to be transported back in time. To highlights in high school and college. A little nostalgia can do the heart good. To think about friends now scattered across the country. And some crazy, reckless times that I might not do again but am glad I did then.

A big kick was when the girls were younger playing those old releases. When the oldest one started driving and would borrow my car the younger would go with her and got hooked on a few Ronstadt songs. Wow. Then she and I singing to them later on. Something I will never forget. I was a young adoptive guardian to my neices. It was a good bonding time. Worth having to get rid of the convertable!

Thanks again for this thread. "It's So Easy" to get into it. Couldn't resist.

Daryl

Edited by prisonerID (07/05/09 10:25 AM)

#294284 - 07/05/09 10:48 AM Re: Rolling Stones [Re: prisonerID]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Hi Mike,

Well, for me and "my generation" it's got to be the Stones, the Who, Clapton and Led Zep. I'm not sure exactly why, but "Won't Get Fooled Again" is a song that still moves me like it did when I first heard it back when Who's Next first came out.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#294427 - 07/06/09 07:03 PM Re: Rolling Stones [Re: roadrunner]
Casmir213 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northeast, USA
Mike,

Springsteen, definitely Springsteen. I still struggle daily with some of the themes he wrote and sang about. I've always related to him when he sang about his relationship with his father and how we as sons "inherit the sins of our fathers". This is quite relevant in my life to this day.

Rocco

WoR Alumnus - Hope Springs, OH, October 2009

My avatar is the farmhouse at the Hope Spring, OH WoR. It's a nice place.

#295052 - 07/12/09 05:51 PM Re: Rolling Stones [Re: Casmir213]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Stones' Midnight Rambler was a popular tune with my crowd, along with some of the tunes off of Exile on Main Street and Sticky Fingers. The Who was also big in my younger days, Zeppelin, Cream, Hendrix, Yes, Pink Floyd's Meddle then Dark Side, followed by digging into some of their earlier stuff, Elton John, Jeff Beck, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent, the MC5, Bowie, and Iggy. Humble Pie, J. Geils, ELP, then Aerosmith and Johhny Winter, then finally Rush and Van Halen before succumbing to more modern rock like X, the Circle Jerks, the Gun Club, XTC, the Stray Cats, the B52s, U2, and many more, before discovering old blues too. Muddy and Howlin' Wolf are two of my favorites there, with Cleveland's Mr. Stress Blues Band one of my favorites there from the 1980s.

These days it is almost painful to have to hear lots of what I used to listen to in the 1970s. I saw Aerosmith 8 times, all between 1973 and 1976, the Yes and U2 7 times each. I've seen the Stones, Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd 3 times each. The last rock concert of any size that I saw was Government Mule at a nightclub in the Twin Cities over in the theater district south of downtown Minneapolis. My last concert was a fireworks show put on by the Pasadena Philharmonic Orchestra at the LA Arboretum. Some gal that I knew was singing with them that night. Since then my closest connection to any live music was being introduced to the guitarist of Siouxsie and the Banshees and his wife and son in LA a few years back. Had dinner with them in Santa Monica in fact.

One thing that I'll say about living in my 50s, and that is that my musical tastes have changed. No more loud music and big crowds for me!!! Glad to hear that you kids enjoy your taste in music, Mike. My dad was big into country music, and back then I couldn't stand it. One thing that I inherited after my dad died was all of his old records. So if anyone out here has a thing for Roy Acuff and Bashful Brother Oswald I have all of their records (safely stored in my garage)!!!

Mark

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.