Newest Members
OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843
12365 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
gryffindor (67), KevinSweeney (57), latinflavor815 (52), latin_flavor_815 (52), RTMark (33), sabooka (35), southpaw10 (46)
Who's Online
4 registered (nltsaved, Shyshark, 2 invisible), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12365 Members
74 Forums
63549 Topics
444003 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#293043 - 06/25/09 07:31 PM DUI laws are irrational and immoral
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States

#293062 - 06/25/09 10:25 PM Re: DUI laws are irrational and immoral [Re: Hauser]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

I do think there needs to be some sort of drunk driving laws on the books, but certainly there has to be some reasonable room to allow a couple. A few years ago or so every state was pressured to reduce the legal BAC limit from 0.1% to 0.08% in order to qualify for federal highway funds (I can't remember the details, but I think this was the jist of what happened.) I know I could drink 3 pints of beer and possibly cross this limit, yet I am no threat on the road at that point. But certainly there has to be some limit and laws, otherwise it would turn into a free-for-all on the roads. I just have no clue what that limit should be. Unfortunately it isn't like the good ol' days when the cops had you leave your car and either made you walk or gave you a ride home.

#293081 - 06/25/09 11:32 PM Re: DUI laws are irrational and immoral [Re: ericc]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

That .08% is ridiculously low, and I often wonder if it encourages seriously drunk people to just drive anyway, since the offense is the same if you only have 2 beers or 12.

It's not just that which bothers me, it's also the notion that you don't even know if you're "guilty" without a cop using his breathalizer. Also, I find the notion of being guilty of a crime which carries major penalties, when you never harmed anyone or destroyed any property, disturbing.

I mean, where is the justice in it?

What about those legally drunk drivers that go to the bar EVERY night, drive home, and never cause accidents, for DECADES at a time? Are they REALLY "dangerous"?

Also, what about those SOBER drivers that kill people?

I just.................

I just wonder what our driving experiences would be like if we were only charged with crimes when we actually HURT someone or damage property.........not merely having a certain amount of alcohol in your blood.

#293090 - 06/26/09 12:09 AM Re: DUI laws are irrational and immoral [Re: Hauser]
myboyhoodfears Offline

Edited by myboyhoodfears (08/31/09 12:19 PM)

#293149 - 06/26/09 09:33 AM Re: DUI laws are irrational and immoral [Re: myboyhoodfears]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

I get that.......

And I understand the approach that most countries around the world take to deal with the problem of that proverbial loser that drinks 2o beers in 3 hours at the bar, gets in his car, and kills a family of six because he drives on the wrong side of the highway.

But.......to include EVERYONE that has ALMOST ANY AMOUNT of alcohol (.08%) and charge them equally.......it seems......unjust.

What the heck can be wrong with having a glass of wine or 2 at dinner?

Well, in the eyes of the law, you're GUILTY and deserve to have your license stripped away, to pay thousands in fees and fines, and suffer the humiliation of being arrested........something is wrong with these laws.

#293547 - 06/29/09 02:40 PM Re: DUI laws are irrational and immoral [Re: Hauser]
myboyhoodfears Offline

Edited by myboyhoodfears (08/31/09 12:16 PM)

#293555 - 06/29/09 04:54 PM Re: DUI laws are irrational and immoral [Re: myboyhoodfears]
cstjude Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Canada
For what it's worth, the blood alcohol limit throughout Canada is .08% and the offences of driving while impaired and driving with a blood alcohol level of over .08% are separate. This is to reoognize that you can be impaired below .08% and you can be impaired by conditions other than alcohol (temporary physical injury, emotional distress, etc. etc.). There has been some talk by MADD to advocate for a .05% blood alcohol level limit since at least 2000 / 2001.

#293560 - 06/29/09 07:35 PM Re: DUI laws are irrational and immoral [Re: cstjude]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Alan,

As a truck driver the limit for me when I am driving is .04.
Got to be careful if I even smell a drink.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#294182 - 07/04/09 09:35 AM Re: DUI laws are irrational and immoral [Re: michael banks]
LilacLouie Offline

Loc: Utah
I have been hit by drunk drivers twice in my life. The last time made me 100% disabled, and it's permanent. It was a 19 year old kid, intoxicated & no driver's license. And people tell me how unreasonable DUI laws are.

They're right. They are.

DUIs have no right to endanger anyone's lives.
And so a 19 year old kid can get his rocks off by getting drunk, I am now permanently disabled.

"Give me a break"? No, give ME a break.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.