Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63648 Topics
444519 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#293544 - 06/29/09 02:08 PM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: nevermind]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Curious of your age? I'm 48. My wife and I are testing tomorrow for our green belt first stripe.

Jim

Edited by Jim1961 (06/29/09 02:08 PM)

My Story

#293632 - 06/30/09 09:27 AM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: nevermind]
Stormpen Offline

Loc: NYC, US
I have to be a bit careful with the cardio (hereditary heart condition) but found Jujitsu to fit in fine with that. I stopped about a year ago though due to a shoulder injury (bursitis) after a bad break fall (was supposed to go into a roll, but when from standing straight down on to my shoulder instead).

I am considering doing rolfing or deep tissue massage to break up the bursitis, because I do want to return to the dojo. While learning self defense is a benefit, for me the primary benefit was in learning to relax, and learning to move in new ways. The discipline (of the training exercises) was also good for a calmer, more clutter free mind, perhaps because I had to be fully present - so it was grounding in that respect.

When I do eventually make it back to the dojo, I'll be curious to see what effect being more relaxed will have. I used to carry a massive amount of tension in my body, but have been finding ways to either counteract it, or dispel it. At the least, I'll give my sensei's voice a rest. The word I most often heard was, "Relax!"

#293904 - 07/02/09 07:00 AM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: Jim1961]
nevermind Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Jim1961
Curious of your age? I'm 48. My wife and I are testing tomorrow for our green belt first stripe.

Jim

I'm 40, 5'9" and about 180 lbs. Last year at this time I had myself down to 14 percent body fat, but I've gotten off track during my recovery. My whole approach to fitness and martial arts has changed because I see now that I developed perfectionist tendencies in order to hide my csa memories and feelings. It's going to take some patience.

Master Kan:
"The thorn defends the rose. It harms only those who would steal the blossom from the plant."

Kung Fu, Episode 4

#293905 - 07/02/09 07:05 AM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: Stormpen]
nevermind Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Shiatsu may help, since you're already rooted in the Japanese arts. My Goju Ryu Sensei taught shiatsu massage as well as reiki healing. I'm currently level 2 with the option of moving to master whenever I feel ready. Shiatsu has really come in handy with my wife's aches and pains, I highly recommend it.

Master Kan:
"The thorn defends the rose. It harms only those who would steal the blossom from the plant."

Kung Fu, Episode 4

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.