Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
clutzygurl (22), dun (50), Gene (50), ufp1964 (50), Zoot (68)
Who's Online
5 registered (dan_in_newengland, Shyshark, 3 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63358 Topics
443032 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#293214 - 06/26/09 04:39 PM Re: New forum needed: Learning Effects [Re: pufferfish]
friendinneed Offline

So Allen. What model do you think a forum on this issue should take should it be kind of just a place to come and chat, or should it have resources, information content as well. Should it have outreach potential to assist the learner directly through chat . Should there be a part for parents/caregivers and maybe one for educators/professionals as well.

I think that these things would be helpful in my opinion and would fill a need. Its just my opinion. You have my full support. Let me know what I can do to support.

Peace,

Shaun

#293247 - 06/26/09 08:04 PM Re: New forum needed: Learning Effects [Re: friendinneed]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Shaun,

I'm so glad you asked.

I would like to see the Learning Effects Forum grow. It would be like a little tree planted. At first it would be small and then it would grow into a bastion of strength for us.

It would include questions which would then be answered as other questions are answered here. But it would have to have additional input, such as book reviews and book outlines. We might move toward having a healing circle for attention deficit disorder as it relates to abuse, and other disorders.

We have already had some discussion of eye disorders as they relate to acquiring skill in reading.

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=291450&page=1

For now the Mod Team wants it to be a part of the Health and Wellbeing Forum. As the Learning Forum content grew it would become its own forum. For now we are supposed to be a niche in the Health and Well Being Forum.

More later.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#293254 - 06/26/09 09:22 PM Re: New forum needed: Learning Effects [Re: pufferfish]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Originally Posted By: pufferfish
For now we are supposed to be a niche in the Health and Well Being Forum.
Perhaps I am mis-reading this quote, but I am not then I'm very disappointed that such a complexe effect of our abuse could be considered, by those who should know better, to be so easily sub-catagorized.

#293274 - 06/27/09 12:20 AM Re: New forum needed: Learning Effects [Re: joelRT]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
We just don't have enough input at this stage to warrant having a separate forum.

Yes I think it's terribly important. But we just have a dribble of questions and answers so far. I don't have enough time to get it going single handedly. We need someone who has some particular expertise and/or time available.

Yes, I have had experience as a (college) teacher and I have done a lot of thinking and a lot of work on my own visual issues and their relationship to reading. I think a lot of guys must have similar problems but we haven't had a very big response to the series presently going on in the Health forum.

Sometimes it's just because there is a lot else going on. That seems to be the case now.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#293459 - 06/29/09 01:03 AM Re: New forum needed: Learning Effects [Re: pufferfish]
friendinneed Offline

As for expertise it is difficult as for so many of us "professionals" we are regulated to death so we can't come across in any capacity as acting in a professional way. Mainly because this could be very dangerous to the affected having never seen or evaluated them. Still I will as an adjunct be willing to begin researching articles for our reference list and will use my knoweledge base in educational, clinical, health psychology to assist there. Also in terms of outline books I can assist there as well. I teach too adjunct. Psych, and life science courses. As for time I would also be willing to be on mod team or whatever to share the burden. I'll do my share just let me know what that should be.

I remember reading several articles related to the subject I will have to try finding them again. I may be surprized but I think finding much is going to be difficult as abuse recovery is still in its childhood stage in terms of science and then correlation to duel feild of medicine from a research method and evaluation issue several varibles are problematic there.

So Allen are you thinking of targeting the college group or younger? The earlier you start intervention the easier it is.

I wonder if there is a way to bullet or something within the health wellness section linking say to friends and family i.e. parents as you say it is going to be a problem getting lost otherwise.

It is too important to allow this to happen.

Peace,
Shaun/friendnneed

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.