Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
12to17 (58), Aaron7712 (48), Defiance Is Best (46), Interpreter (30), Kenn (55), RichardPaulPoill (68), soul (34), Tyler845 (27)
Who's Online
3 registered (traveler, tbkkfile, wiresguy1), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63808 Topics
445577 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#293384 - 06/28/09 03:16 PM Pride Day - But not for me
East Side Truman Offline
New Here

Loc: NYC
It's Pride today in Manhattan. I strolled over to Fifth Avenue with my dog, and took in a bit of the parade. I left after half an hour, though, and I came home feeling so confused. I grabbed Richard Gartner's book "Betrayed as Boys" off my nightstand and just started thumbing through it for any signs of insight. I guess I just feel angry, and I'm disappointed in myself for not feeling "pride" on this day. I have a great relationship with a beautiful man. I wouldn't want to change that for anything. But somehow I still don't feel comfortable with the term "gay". It seems so reductive. And always, always, always, there is the stigma of abuse. Am I gay because of my abuse? Did my abuse happen because I was gay? What part of my sexuality belongs to me? My SA began when I was 14. It was my first sexual experience, and the "relationship" lasted into my twenties. I can't get him out of me. I'm 45 years old now, and I just want to move on. But every time I turn around I feel his presence. I"m still angry. A parade isn't what I need today. Maybe a hug. Thanks for letting me vent.
Truman

#293389 - 06/28/09 05:35 PM Re: Pride Day - But not for me [Re: East Side Truman]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
"Labels are for cans", you're Truman and that's what matters.

((((Truman)))) safe hugs Brother

Stay strong
Mike

#293413 - 06/28/09 08:15 PM Re: Pride Day - But not for me [Re: mogigo]
KENKEN Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NOTHERN COLORADO
As Mike stated, your Truman and that is all that matters. I can relate however to your questions and to how you feel.

This weekend was our PrideFest here in Colorado also. My very loving partner and I attended the parade and all the festivities today.

But as my lover and I were talking on the way home, we are both so happy to be apart of the gay culture. This is who we/I am and I am not sad or angry for being gay. I don't know if my over 5 years of SA was a major part of my sexuality or not. I just know and feel that this is who I am and I feel I need to accept that. I don't want to hide from Me or from anyone else who I am. I am Ken and that is all that counts.

Ken

From the Movie: Antwone Fisher

***WOR ALUMNI SEQUOIA MARCH 2008***

#293419 - 06/28/09 09:19 PM Re: Pride Day - But not for me [Re: KENKEN]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi my brothers.

Who needs labels??

Right here, right now, and forever,
Litle Pete & big Pete, will give you/us, compassion, understanding and love.

Love for YOU all for just being YOU.

Heal well my brothers/friends.

Little Pete & big Pete.. (1 Irishmoose)

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#293431 - 06/28/09 11:02 PM Re: Pride Day - But not for me [Re: petercorbett]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
When will Gay - will the day ever come? - accept that not every homosexual man wears his sexuality as his primary identity?

My sexuality as a Queer man is simply one more component of the very complexe and unique person that I am, but it neither precedes me into a room nor dominates the evening's conversation.

When it becomes culturaly popular for heterosexual men to introduce themselves around the room as "Hi, my name is X and I'm heterosexual", perhaps only then will I revise my position.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.