Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
2 registered (Johnnygolightly, Bluedogone), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63373 Topics
443141 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#293162 - 06/26/09 10:54 AM Concealed Carry Permit and Therapy
Highlanderhog Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arkansas
Just asking anyone who may know. What if by finally finding a T and starting treatment I get diagnosed with say PTSD. Would that put me in a legal quandry ? I have carried a gun on my person or very close by since I was 16 (now 49)and for the past 6 years legally with a CC permit. I have never pulled or used in anger in all that time. In fact my motto is " If you catch me after I run away ( or at least try to )then I will shoot you". I would use to protect other's lives. But any thoughts on this ? Any facts on this ?

Edited by Highlanderhog (06/27/09 10:38 AM)
I have lived the saying " religion is for people afraid to go to hell and spirituality is for those who have already been there." But, I am happy for anyone who has a Higher power that works for them no matter where they find it.

#293176 - 06/26/09 12:04 PM Re: Concealed Carry Permit and Therapy [Re: Highlanderhog]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
That is a question for a lawyer. It's most likely going to depend on which state issued the permit.

#293382 - 06/28/09 02:32 PM Re: Concealed Carry Permit and Therapy [Re: Hauser]
Highlanderhog Offline
MaleSurvivor

yes that is true about a Lawyer, but I can't/won't ask a lawyer in my town . I trust him completely and he is a long time family friend, so it would take at least 2 weeks before 1/2 the folks in town would know. Hey did you know, or you won't beleve who was molested and by________.I run in circles of people like doctors and lawyers, etc... They all talk.
HOWEVER, I have no idea what going to a T is like and if having CSA issues would have a person ( on paper anyway ) be labeled as ?????. Can someone give me some opinions or personal observations on the T. issue.

I have lived the saying " religion is for people afraid to go to hell and spirituality is for those who have already been there." But, I am happy for anyone who has a Higher power that works for them no matter where they find it.

#293390 - 06/28/09 05:38 PM Re: Concealed Carry Permit and Therapy [Re: Highlanderhog]
Sykolojik Offline

Loc: Alabama
despite being a site that encourages safety, personal protection seems to be a taboo topic here..every time i bring up the subject of firearms I get criticized heavily..when it comes to protection I rather rely on a gun than on a god..

#293414 - 06/28/09 08:16 PM Re: Concealed Carry Permit and Therapy [Re: Sykolojik]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I would IMAGINE that a PTSD diagnosis given by a privately practicing therapist remains right THERE, between YOU and the T.

#293424 - 06/28/09 10:05 PM Re: Concealed Carry Permit and Therapy [Re: Hauser]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
HLH,

Unless you make threats against others or yourself. Then they are required by law to report these threats to the authorities.
But why would your T know that you have a permit unless you tell them.

In regards to using a T you could always go to a larger city nearby to find one if possible. You also might think about attending the next wor if possible. Most survivors find these to be an extremely benifical event to go to.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#293525 - 06/29/09 10:25 AM Re: Concealed Carry Permit and Therapy [Re: michael banks]
Highlanderhog Offline
MaleSurvivor

I did not think I could attend a wor without some type of T recomendation ? If I can I would love to.

#293561 - 06/29/09 07:39 PM Re: Concealed Carry Permit and Therapy [Re: Highlanderhog]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
HLH,

You could talk to them and explain you situation in regards to trying to find a T. There is a wor up in Canada soon by the way .

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#294028 - 07/03/09 03:33 AM Re: Concealed Carry Permit and Therapy [Re: michael banks]
LilacLouie Offline

Loc: Utah
I used to be a gun collector, and still keep up to date on the gun laws. I am not sure about the PTSD issue even though I have it myself (complex PTSD).
I suggest you check with the NRA, Gun Owners of America AND the Jews for the Protection of Firearm Ownership. I am an NRA member and a life-member of GOA and JPFO (I am personal friends of the gentlemen at JPFO, good men they truly are).

I do not trust lawyers for something like that, because unless you know them well and trust them personally, you really do not know what they are saying and/or if it is true. I have met lawyers that are anti-gun liberals and they will lie in order to support their personal cause.

#294056 - 07/03/09 12:35 PM Re: Concealed Carry Permit and Therapy [Re: LilacLouie]
usmc97 Offline

Loc: Colorado
I think it might differ by state but I legally own guns here in Colorado with a "certified" PTSD label on me. The only thing that would have denied my ownership was that if I had ever been court ordered to be hospitalized.

The statistics? 1 in 4, 1 in 6?
...then there's me the imaginary number

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.