Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
3 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, pattom, 1 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63373 Topics
443143 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#293074 - 06/25/09 11:11 PM secrets vs privacy
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

I am needing to figure out what is the difference between secrets and privacy.

My family was messed up. It seemed everyone was protecting everyone else in secrecy. I did not learn what privacy was.

I am deep in an issue and I am thinking if I understood the difference between secrecy and privacy I will be able to find some resolution.

I have been told of a book by John Bradshaw about this very topic.

Please help.

DJ

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#293133 - 06/26/09 07:26 AM Re: secrets vs privacy [Re: DJsport]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
DJ,

Just a quick thought. Privacy is something that we expect (both from ourselves and others) that protects us from those that are not close or who we do not trust.

If I am having a disagreement with my wife, and I share with a close friend but he tells his wife and she tells someone and... This violated what I would expect as being a private piece of information.

Secrecy I think feels more like "hiding something". It has a much more negative connotation to it. You MUST keep this secret or else... Like someone is defining what you choose to share of your experience. That seems to me that they are violating MY boundaries by making such demands (overtly or subtlety).

Jim

My Story

#294429 - 07/06/09 08:01 PM Re: secrets vs privacy [Re: Jim1961]
Casmir213 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northeast, USA
DJ,

It's a good by Bradshaw. I've recently purchased it and will probably read it again soon. It's called "Family Secrets", and it describes exactly the difference between healthy privacy and unhealthy secrets that you are looking for in your post. It's a must read for you.

Rocco

WoR Alumnus - Hope Springs, OH, October 2009

My avatar is the farmhouse at the Hope Spring, OH WoR. It's a nice place.

#294441 - 07/06/09 10:00 PM Re: secrets vs privacy [Re: Casmir213]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Rocco.

I will purchase it or go look for it at the local library.

I do need to read it.

DJ

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.