Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
fakir (71), HelpMeHelpHim32 (41), motherstars (65)
Who's Online
3 registered (Shyshark, 2 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64191 Topics
447939 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#134974 - 08/23/05 04:47 PM "Seasonal-affective disorder"?
ForeverFighting Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Mexico, USA
A lot of my fears of winter have to do with the SA, so I don't know how much of this comes from what. Ironically, I also live in a part of the USA that gets more sun than a lot of places, so who am I to complain.

I'm really, really affected by the seasons and the dark. I cannot get out of bed, even with a fork-lift, if there's not some kind of light. I get more and more depressed. I've looked at all kinds of lights that come on before the alarm goes off. I do go to tanning places in the winter, because it seems like I don't get so depressed, but I don't want to fry myself.

I'm sure there are guys here who live in darker, colder places than I. Do you have any suggestions? What do people do in Seattle or Norway do to keep from crawling in a hole and withering away until summer?

Any suggestions would be really helpful. It's only August, but I feel it coming.

"This search for the truth--it's not for the faint of heart."--Goren on 'Law & Order: CI'
"The former things will not be called to mind, neither will they come up into the heart."--Isaiah 65:17

#134975 - 08/26/05 08:30 PM Re: "Seasonal-affective disorder"?
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Mike, who is reading whos mind here, I was on a site before about lamps.

You can buy daylight lamps, and I have some, and they do work.

Halogen lamps are also good to.

I feel like hibernating until spring, every fall, and it does get pretty dark here in Winter.

I have friends in Finland where it is totally dark from November till February, and I ask them what they do?

They just say they stay indoors on a computer, Sweden and Norway are too, cold damp dark and miserable in Winter, so I guess I am luckier.

It is a good subject,

ste

#134976 - 09/02/05 09:08 PM Re: "Seasonal-affective disorder"?
ForeverFighting Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Mexico, USA
Thanks, ste. I think I'll get some of those lamps. Somebody else told me that tanning first thing in the morning helps, too, so I joked with my wife that maybe we could get a giant tanning thing and hang it right over our bed and set it on a timer. The screeching sound of an alarm clock can't get me out of bed, but I bet 6,000 watts of tanning lamps would do the trick when they pop on at 6 a.m. \:D

"This search for the truth--it's not for the faint of heart."--Goren on 'Law & Order: CI'
"The former things will not be called to mind, neither will they come up into the heart."--Isaiah 65:17

#134977 - 09/02/05 10:04 PM Re: "Seasonal-affective disorder"?
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Mike, the daylight lamps are definitely cool, they are blue in color, but it is as close as daylight as I have known, and they do work for me.

Dont forget to use UV goggles at night when using 6000 watts of tanning lights, and dont think you just woke up in a dream that you are on vacation in the sun

I wish I could cope with seasonal change, but I have to think that maybe it is not so bad.

I can see the beauty of all the seasons, but I hate the dark nights, and short days, and long for spring to come and greet me,

ste

#292854 - 06/24/09 02:35 PM Re: "Seasonal-affective disorder"? [Re: reality2k4]
gabrieljosh Offline

One of the simplist natural remedies for seasonal SAD is light therapy. Light therapy involves purchasing a special light. This light replicates the rays of the sun. The person suffering from SAD sits in front of this light with their eyes open. This light is not found in normal incandescent household lights, and must be purchased exclusively for this type of therapy.

#292874 - 06/24/09 04:55 PM Re: "Seasonal-affective disorder"? [Re: gabrieljosh]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: gabrieljosh
One of the simplist natural remedies for seasonal SAD is light therapy. Light therapy involves purchasing a special light. This light replicates the rays of the sun. The person suffering from SAD sits in front of this light with their eyes open. This light is not found in normal incandescent household lights, and must be purchased exclusively for this type of therapy.

the UV (ultra-violet) component in light is what is needed. It is found in ordinary fluorescent lights but even more in those fluorescent bulbs made for growing plants with or for aquarium fish tanks.

Watch out! UV (ultra-violet) also causes mutations in skin cells and can lead to squamous cell carcinomas after a delay of dozens of years. I got a lot of sun burn on my arms when I was a young thing and now I have some problems from it.

Some people take melatonin. It is a hormone-based supplement obtained in some health food stores. What you buy must be very dilute. I have heard warnings about it because the side-effects of melatonin are not well understood. Melatonin induces lactation in female animals in addition to other less well understod side effects.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

Edited by pufferfish (06/24/09 05:04 PM)
Edit Reason: melatonin

#322479 - 02/17/10 10:01 PM Re: "Seasonal-affective disorder"? [Re: pufferfish]
Charlie24 Offline

I used to get SAD when I lived in Michigan. There were times when we wouldn't see the sun for like 3 or 4 months straight, no joke.

Yeah sunlight is so important in our health. In my nutrition class we learned about the importance of Vitamin D. It's really best to get it from the sun but supplement or fortified foods also can be beneficial. In class the professor told us the importance of Vitamin D in health and well being. It's now being lauded as a miracle drug, time will tell if it's really true.

So back to the topic, we talked about how the lower 1/3 of the United States have generally lower levels of depression and SAD and other diseases.

I love living in Arizona where we see the sun so often. It does help with my mood, attitude and just how I'm feeling. I love the sun and love the feeling of it on my body, warming me up.

I've noticed I don't feel as bad I as I did when I lived in Michigan and I do believe the sun and exposure has helped me, I'm sure other factors too but I feel better with sunlight.

Great topic.

Charlie.

#322551 - 02/18/10 03:34 PM Re: "Seasonal-affective disorder"? [Re: Charlie24]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
There is strong scientific evidence that human need certain amounts of sun lit.
I have heard that besides Vitamin d, like Charlie suggested, there are other important values that the the sun plays with like regulating amounts of hormones in the body.

I did not read the responses so i do not know if someone else has already suggested this but I know that there are special lamps that one can purchase that are extremely helpful.

Some of them, a doctor should be included in the decision to suggest the appropriate one. I know that the very expensive green lamp ones are the best.

I can ask my doc which one he would recommend if you want.

I know that I also have trouble in the winter time more than any other time of year.
there maybe many things to blame for that like that most of my csa history took place during the winter time and often ever december I feel a great sense of foreboding with the coming of winter.
i also hate(loath, detest, despise, etc.) the cold weather, it feels like its is invasive and slightly painful to me as it seems to invade me and my body!
I know that I always feel safer and generally better durring the summer time and warmer months.

good luck
Logan

-Blade Runner

#324626 - 03/10/10 01:54 AM Re: "Seasonal-affective disorder"? [Re: Logan]
WellILikeDirt Offline

I live in Canada, winter sucks here. This is also when I was the most abused.

Winter sucks really bad for me. I hardly eat, I sleep from 5am to 6pm everyday and when I am awake all I can do is lay on the couch and wish I was either asleep or dead.

I used to drink alcohol heavily to make myself pass out, the doctor gave me anti-anxiety meds, Ativan. I took them ten at a time so I would blackout. Winter is rough for me.

I try my best to keep in good spirits when I am awake in the winter and focus on playing video games, but most of the time I just sit there on the "Start" screen and wish I was dead.

I don't want to live like this anymore.

Try reading philosophy, Foucault, Nietzsche. They have helped me quite a bit and I have (for the most part) stopped hurting myself.

You are not alone my friend.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.