Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
innocence (60), pablo999 (53)
Who's Online
3 registered (WalkingBuffalo, GT13568, 1 invisible), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64189 Topics
447919 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#292785 - 06/23/09 09:29 PM Things are not as they appear
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
I do this all the time, I'll look at someone who I think is having a good life and say "Damn, I'd give anything to be them". Well I just found out for St. Louis Cardinals player Khalil Greene things aren't exactly as they seem. The article only states that it was an anxiety disorder but TV reports reveal its Social Anxiety Disorder.

Khalil Greene thanks Cardinals for their support
By Derrick Goold
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
06/23/2009

Full text at: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/...89?OpenDocument

Fair use Excerpt:
Before the game at Citi Field, he described the role his teammates and others played in facilitating his return from the DL stint to address debilitating anxiety, a condition he felt contributed to a difficult ending with his former team.

"Given my experience in San Diego wasn't a great one, that left a bitter taste in my mouth," Greene said. "It felt like the trust factor had been shattered. On the micro-level aspect of it, that didn't involve the clubhouse, but I really felt soured by that. Here, obviously, they want me to contribute, but at the same time I felt a genuine sympathy for my well being. ... I wanted to respond to that."

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#292791 - 06/23/09 10:26 PM Re: Things are not as they appear [Re: onlyakid]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

jtt,

As a survivor I can relate to that feeling of wanting to be "them". We look at "them" and believe their life is happy, fun, loving, etc. In fact I think we imagine their lives to be the essence of what ours isn't.

You draw the point quite well that many times that perception is only in the survivor's mind; that "they" actually have problems too. In fact their problems may well be just as debilitating to them as ours seem to us.

Hard to keep that concept in mind, but it helps put things in perspective.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.