Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
biggbill70 (44), CP4 (24), EddieMi (46), EddieT (46), hemi1024 (54), Kage (70), kdj_74 (40), Knightswhitehart (49), otlhouston (47), TX_Space (47), VirtualBman (50)
Who's Online
2 registered (Scott1962, 1 invisible), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63799 Topics
445511 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#292379 - 06/20/09 05:28 AM Returning To Martial Arts
nevermind Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I've been a student of martial arts, mostly Chinese origin, since I was a teenager. Throughout my life I've always found comfort in practicing my skills, mainly for self-defense but more for health in recent years.

My issues due to abuse finally caught up with me this year, though, and even though I've made a great deal of progress I'm having a tough time getting back into an active lifestyle. Recovery has taken a lot out of me, especially with the release of my deep anger that I've had for years.

I haven't become a bump on a log, but my lack of drive is noticeable...at least to me. I'm used to pushing myself physically, but maybe I'm entering a time in my life when I need to practice more patience with myself.

For all survivors, including me, I highly recommend tai chi and qigong. I've been taught by some of the best instructors in the U.S., now I just need to get back to moving again. If anyone else is into any kind of M.A., post here please. I could use your support and maybe lend some in return. I plan on posting here from time to time with updates on my progress.

Deep bows and best wishes.

Master Kan:
"The thorn defends the rose. It harms only those who would steal the blossom from the plant."

Kung Fu, Episode 4

#292386 - 06/20/09 08:55 AM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: nevermind]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I practiced qigong for a while a few years back and found it to be extremely helpful. But then I got out of the habit and haven't been able to get myself back to doing it. Do you have any qigong resources that you recommend?

Mike

#292402 - 06/20/09 01:36 PM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: mike5]
InsideTheWall Offline

Can you guys tell me about qigong? I've been thinking about starting martial arts training and my sister recently tried to sell me on more eastern style thinking and philosophy.

#292411 - 06/20/09 03:32 PM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: InsideTheWall]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
My family does Tang Soo Do, traditional Korean karate. We have a great instructor who is trained by CS Kim (Grandmaster of our school).

My son (15) just got his third degree black belt and daughter (11) will test this fall. Really great for physical development, confidence and discipline.

My wife and I started 2 years ago and are green belts. What a great workout! Never boring, but really intense at times for sure. I was concerned about my back (bulging disk), but it has actually helped relieve the pain.

It's also helped me break through poor self perception (I was a weak, bullied kid growing up). I Wish I had started at 6 like my son.

I highly recommend it.

Jim

My Story

#292487 - 06/21/09 01:13 PM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: Jim1961]
Barney Offline

Loc: Southern Utah/Northern Arizon
Nice to see you and your wife involved and setting the example for your children. So good the kids are as involved as they are and successfully advancing in the belt process. Way to go Dad!!!!!!!!

#292712 - 06/23/09 08:59 AM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: mike5]
nevermind Offline

Hi mike5. Before I get into resources, I should let you know that the types of qigong I've practiced aren't like some that are out there, and I mean OUT THERE. Some people, mainly greedy Westerners, have twisted the science and philosophy while leading others to believe they are masters, when they are really nothing but bunksters.

I became interested in qigong around 10 years ago, but had trouble finding resources due to my remote location. As my interest grew I found travel and careful planning to be necessary to get the most for my time and money. The best resources I came across started with The American Society of Internal Arts, found at www.americansocietyofinternalarts.org.

Through their events and links, I hooked up with Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming found at www.ymaa.com, Grandmaster Gary Torres at www.phoenixdragonkungfu.com and Grandmaster David Chin at www.realhopgar.com.

Another instructor whom I haven't had the chance to learn from but has excellent online information is Grandmaster Liang, Shou-Yu found at www.shouyuliang.com.

With the improved weather here in PA, I plan on practicing some qigong this morning since I'm working 2nd shift today. Hope this info points you in a direction that's helpful. Glad to see I'm not alone, too.

Gassho

Master Kan:
"The thorn defends the rose. It harms only those who would steal the blossom from the plant."

Kung Fu, Episode 4

#292717 - 06/23/09 09:35 AM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: Jim1961]
nevermind Offline

Good to meet you, Jim, and congratulations. Sounds like you've got quite a family, and the martial arts are a great way for families to enjoy fitness, self discipline, confidence and fun.
My wife doesn't share my interest, but our daughter's been bitten by the MA bug after seeing Kung Fu Panda. My most recent instructor teaches Okinawan Goju Ryu karate and we've tried to get her to try lessons, but she has her heart set on kungfu. I've taught her some basics of Contemporary Wushu, Tai Chi and Hsing-I.

Bows to you and best wishes.

Master Kan:

Kung Fu, Episode 4

#292798 - 06/24/09 12:08 AM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: InsideTheWall]
nevermind Offline

Hi. Qigong is the study and practice of nourishing the body's bioelectric energy, or qi, usually through meditation or movement. There are many types of qigong that serve to improve health, increase martial power or aid in spiritual development.
The type you study depends on what your goals are, though many qigong methods serve dual purposes and are simple to perform.

I could get more technical, but it would be best if you researched on your own to gain a more detailed idea if you're interested. I highly recommend books written by Dr. Yang, whom I left a link for above. He's widely recognized as an authority on qigong methods.

Peace and best wishes.

Master Kan:

Kung Fu, Episode 4

#292799 - 06/24/09 12:15 AM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: nevermind]
nevermind Offline

As promised, I'm posting my return activities. Today (Tues), I practiced Shaolin breathing exercises and some mook jong work. Mook jong usually refers to a wooden dummy, but in my case it was iron. It felt a little alien at first because it's been a while, but then I got into my flow. Just like riding a bike.

Peace.

Master Kan:

Kung Fu, Episode 4

#293222 - 06/26/09 05:26 PM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: nevermind]
nevermind Offline

This turned out to be the most productive week fitness-wise that I've had in about a half a year, although I only got to work out three times. Wednesday I spent some time practicing Fu Jow Pai and concentrating on push ups. I can still do clap push ups and knuckle push ups without much trouble, so I haven't lost all my upper body strength. I do have quite a gut, though.

Because of the flab, I started jumping rope again. Rope is my favorite cardio/agility exercise, and I usually mix it up between regular, side-to-side, front-to-back, boxer shuffle and running in place jumps. Felt good to do that again, and it's the kind of workout you can take with you anywhere. I did mine while on break at work.

The weekend will be recreational and chore type activities, maybe some swimming. I'll practice some forms if I have time.

Master Kan:

Kung Fu, Episode 4

#293544 - 06/29/09 02:08 PM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: nevermind]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Curious of your age? I'm 48. My wife and I are testing tomorrow for our green belt first stripe.

Jim

Edited by Jim1961 (06/29/09 02:08 PM)

My Story

#293632 - 06/30/09 09:27 AM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: nevermind]
Stormpen Offline

Loc: NYC, US
I have to be a bit careful with the cardio (hereditary heart condition) but found Jujitsu to fit in fine with that. I stopped about a year ago though due to a shoulder injury (bursitis) after a bad break fall (was supposed to go into a roll, but when from standing straight down on to my shoulder instead).

I am considering doing rolfing or deep tissue massage to break up the bursitis, because I do want to return to the dojo. While learning self defense is a benefit, for me the primary benefit was in learning to relax, and learning to move in new ways. The discipline (of the training exercises) was also good for a calmer, more clutter free mind, perhaps because I had to be fully present - so it was grounding in that respect.

When I do eventually make it back to the dojo, I'll be curious to see what effect being more relaxed will have. I used to carry a massive amount of tension in my body, but have been finding ways to either counteract it, or dispel it. At the least, I'll give my sensei's voice a rest. The word I most often heard was, "Relax!"

#293904 - 07/02/09 07:00 AM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: Jim1961]
nevermind Offline

Originally Posted By: Jim1961
Curious of your age? I'm 48. My wife and I are testing tomorrow for our green belt first stripe.

Jim

I'm 40, 5'9" and about 180 lbs. Last year at this time I had myself down to 14 percent body fat, but I've gotten off track during my recovery. My whole approach to fitness and martial arts has changed because I see now that I developed perfectionist tendencies in order to hide my csa memories and feelings. It's going to take some patience.

Master Kan:

Kung Fu, Episode 4

#293905 - 07/02/09 07:05 AM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: Stormpen]
nevermind Offline

Shiatsu may help, since you're already rooted in the Japanese arts. My Goju Ryu Sensei taught shiatsu massage as well as reiki healing. I'm currently level 2 with the option of moving to master whenever I feel ready. Shiatsu has really come in handy with my wife's aches and pains, I highly recommend it.

Master Kan:

Kung Fu, Episode 4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.