Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
fakir (71), HelpMeHelpHim32 (41), motherstars (65)
Who's Online
2 registered (traveler, 1 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64189 Topics
447924 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#291659 - 06/15/09 06:59 AM I know what it's called, Genophobia!
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
I've talked about my problem with anything to do with S on these boards before.

Doing a quick wiki, I actually found it has a name, ---- Genophobia.

while I know there's a danger in self-diagnosis, sinse I've not particularly got anywhere in 18 months of just jawing about the subject with three successive counsellers, I've wondered if a new approach is called for.

so, I've been having a look at what people recommend for treating Genophobia, ---- and frankly not particularly gettinyg anywhere, ---- partly because several of the sites I found are a litle too specific on what precisely the phobia is about, ---- ie, the S word and related matters explicitely.

Some of what has been said about genophobia and lack of relationships though is dead on.

I was therefore wondering if someone, ---- perhaps with more access to resources on mental health, could please have a look for recommendations on Genophobia. I will also talk to my T about it on Thursday and see what she can suggest.

#292004 - 06/17/09 12:30 AM Re: I know what it's called, Genophobia! [Re: dark empathy]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
From all that I read off of Google, Genophobia is a fear of s-x or s-xu-l int--c--rse, rather than a fear of the word itself. There were some both inpatient and outpatient treatment options here in the US but I will have to keep looking for options in your neck of the woods. A link to a history of s=xu=l victimization has been established in research done here.

Mark

#292292 - 06/19/09 03:20 AM Re: I know what it's called, Genophobia! [Re: Trucker51]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
I'm not precisely sure how specific the fear has to beto count as genophobia, ----- whether it merely relates to the physical activity itself, or (as in my case), most everything to do with the subject up to and including my own physical reactions.

while my problem with physical affection is fairly universal, it becomes 100 times worse if the person involved is young and female, ---- and even worse if it's someone I'm actually attracted to. In fact the only girl of my age I allow physically close to me is my Russian friend who's literally like a brother, and part of this is that we long ago mutually agreed that neither of us was attracted to the other as more than a friend.

This is why I told the university counseling service that while I was happy seeing a female counseller, it had to be an older lady at least in her late fourties or fifties.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.