Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
clutzygurl (22), dun (50), Gene (50), ufp1964 (50), Zoot (68)
Who's Online
3 registered (don64, tbkkfile, susie), 20 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63354 Topics
442999 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#291398 - 06/13/09 09:53 AM Obama's doing it again.........
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Here we go!

U.S. pledges $73 million in aid to Zimbabwe
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/06/13/us.zimbabwe/index.html

Oh, GREAT. Now we're borrowing money from the Chinese and Japanese and Arabs and giving it away to a country that we're starting to emulate. Zimbabwe has an estimated annual inflation rate of 89.7 SEXTILLION in 2008 because they're criminally irresponsible in the printing of their own currency. Oh, and while our great friend of the West, Robert Mugabe, rules a country with a 94% unemployment rate and a rampant cholera epidemic which is directly tied to their fiscal policy, he has birthday parties which includes 2,000 bottles of champagne (Mot & Chandon or 61 Bollinger preferred); 8,000 lobsters; 100kg of prawns; 4,000 portions of caviar; 8,000 boxes of Ferrero Rocher chocolates; 3,000 ducks!!!

THIS IS CHANGE?

#291403 - 06/13/09 11:04 AM Re: Obama's doing it again......... [Re: Hauser]
HurtinginMD Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cranston, RI
Hmmmmm... all i can say is told ya....buyers remorse is the worse kind

#291405 - 06/13/09 11:20 AM Re: Obama's doing it again......... [Re: HurtinginMD]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I have several charges I could lay against Robert Mugabe. The man is rotten to the core. But for Obama to pledge our tax dollars to this petty despot in Africa is nothing short of criminal. We are already in hock to the tune of trillions. The people of Zimbabwe need to stand up for themselves, arrest Mugabe and his henchmen, and deal harshly with them in the public square for all the wrongs they have done against the people of Zimbabwe.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#291414 - 06/13/09 01:22 PM Re: Obama's doing it again......... [Re: FormerTexan]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
We give many Billions in foreign aid all over the world. What is worse, $73 Million to Zimbabwe or $40 Billion per year to Israel? For the most part Israel is a viable State on its own without any of our aid. Perhaps if we give some of our spare foreign aid change to Zimbabwe some percentage of their population won't starve. Does anyone know how much aid we have given to Iraq or Afghanistan? Or how much we have given to the Arab States with lots of oil to sell? Trust me, what we give to Zimbabwe, the former white-ruled Rhodesia, is a drop in the foreign aid bucket. Yes, the leadership is corrupt. We seem to have an affinity for corrupt foreign leaders over time. Remember the Shah of Iran or the Marcos family in the Philippines? They were both highly corrupt and we gave each of them 100 times as much as we're giving Mugabe. Maybe through our aid we can hasten economic reform there. Maybe even create some new markets for some of our products. And yes, as has always been the case in the past, enrich a corrupt dictator in the process too!!!

I can't blame this on Obama exclusively, because enriching corrupt foreign dictators is a tradition of ours with a long, rich, and colorful history.

#291428 - 06/13/09 02:58 PM Re: Obama's doing it again......... [Re: Trucker51]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
What a heartbreak. cry Have you seen the news pictures of the teems of hungry women and children in a country with 97% unemployment? Rape of women and children is commonplace. Much of the population just sits around and waits for some kind of dole.

I saw on the interview of Zimbabwe's new president Tsvangirai on the News Hour. He holds a tenuous post as president after almost 30 years of rule by the corrupt Mugabe. Because of the corruption and abuse from the system, the new president is just holding on by his fingernails.

I know it doesn't seem right to us, but $73 million is the cost of several military tanks or half of a fighter jet.

The following is a quote from the Washington Post:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2009/06/12/obama_pledges_73_million_to_zi.html?hpid=sec-politics

"Tsvangirai became prime minister in February as part of a power-sharing deal with Mugabe, who had ruled Zimbabwe for 29 years. The arrangement was a bitter compromise struck after Tsvangirai outpolled Mugabe in presidential elections last year, but the president was unwilling to cede power."

I spent two years as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Liberia. It was a heartbreak to pour our efforts into that country and then see it burned by a civil war a few years later. The school where I taught was burned to the ground. The biggest problem there, as in Zimbabwe, is corruption. Liberia presently has a good and forward-looking president. It is money well spent in Liberia to try to help those people. A few dollars there can help a large number of people. The average annual income in Liberia when I was there was $30 per year. Even though some of our support money might be siphoned off by some corrupt interests it is still worth it.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#291562 - 06/14/09 01:27 PM Re: Obama's doing it again......... [Re: pufferfish]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi,

Yep! A billion here and a billion there. Or a million here and a million there. And pretty soon were talking about real money. Real money that the USA doesn't have.

But for the life of me I just cannot understand why we have to give it to various countries to get them to like us.

Hungry women & children. Rape of women and children. Courrption?
Hell it's right here in our own country. Detroit? Boston? Washington? Dallas? we can go on and on. But who cares??

Oh yes, I take offense when we start to say for the cost of a tank or a fighter jet, we could do this or that with that money.

But let me tell you that without that tank, or fighter jet. We damn sure wouldn't be free. Nor the freedom beacon for the world that we seem to be.

My take.

Heal well my brothers/friends,

Pete (Irishmoose)

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#291802 - 06/16/09 12:10 AM Re: Obama's doing it again......... [Re: petercorbett]
cstjude Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Canada
Interesting posts.

But from the outside looking in (that is, from Canada), I have to say that these types of moves on President Obama's part (I can have no opinion on this one specifically) seem to indicate a shift in US foreign policy; a shift that seems to be realigning the US with the idea of a global community.

As for the notion that more guns and tanks or fighter jets makes a country more free, I can't agree with that. Albert Einstein said you cannot simultaneously prepare for war and peace. How does arming the nation to the teeth preserve freedom? I'm not judging, I really want to know the rationale for that assertion. Because it seems to me like more of the rhetoric that lead the US to abandon its moral authority and integrity on the world stage over the last 8 years. I do not see the US as as a beacon of freedom at the moment. But I would applaud any course of action that saw the US advocate for a more peaceful world abroad. No offence meant, honestly. I'm only offering a perspective from the nation next door that shares this continent with our brothers and sisters in the US.

C.

#291876 - 06/16/09 12:54 PM Re: Obama's doing it again......... [Re: cstjude]
cstjude Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Canada
...and Mexico.

C.

#291877 - 06/16/09 01:04 PM Re: Obama's doing it again......... [Re: cstjude]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Jude,

Makes you wonder where our ecomony would be now if we had used some of the money and brain power we spent saving the world. To saving our nation most likely we would not have the mess we now find ourselves.

Alan,

How about the 100,000,000,000 they want for the IMB. That is packaged with the war funding.

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#291880 - 06/16/09 01:14 PM Re: Obama's doing it again......... [Re: cstjude]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
Quote:
a shift that seems to be realigning the US with the idea of a global community

i have to say i look at things that way too. it's obvious in light of the global effects from the recent [or current] currency flow problem plaguing the entire world financial infrasystem that we are clearly not the island we want to believe ourselves to be. we think because we are american citizens that we have some control over what is threatening to impact our way of life. we are one piece in the whole puzzle and the problem is so much larger than the sum of its parts. our spending habits are voting for us, and the vehicle was careening out of control long before january 2009.

i'm just glad we are no longer being 'guided' by a steering committee that is sneaky, deceptive and managing finances unwisely.

1 out of 3 ain't so bad, and the '1' still remains to be seen; call me in about 5 years or better still, 10 years, after sarah palin has her whack at it in 2012.

perish the thought! confused

ron

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.