Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
8 registered (AustinChemist, susie, Dave PNW, 3 invisible), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63173 Topics
441753 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#290531 - 06/06/09 03:17 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Trucker51]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
For those of you who would desire a decent hotel property in New Jersey with rail access to both Newark Airport and Manhattan there are Candlewood Suites hotels in both Secaucus and Jersey City. A single queen studio suite with a kitchenette, wireless internet, and a 32-inch flat screen runs $135/night for the dates of the Conference. Currently the hotel chain is running a buy two nights/get one free deal which would make 3 nights $270 plus tax if they will take that deal this far out. The hotel also offers a free morning and evening shuttle to the nearest rail station too. The one in Jersey City is right on the waterfront with a view of lower Manhattan. From the Jersey City property you would ride the PATH line to the 34th street station then take the Broadway subway line from there.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cw/1/en/hotel/NYCNJ/transportation?start=1

The Secaucus station is on the Newark Airport AirTrain line into Penn Station on Manhattan.

http://www.panynj.gov/AIRTRAINNEWARK/

Mark

#291039 - 06/10/09 08:47 AM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Trucker51]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
I'm glad you finally mentioned NJ, Mark. Newark airport is a short train or bus ride to Manhattan. Likewise, there are tons of less expensive hotels in NJ. If you book a place on the Jersey side of the Hudson, it is very easy to get to Manhattan and a short walk from Port Authority (busses) or Penn Station for trains.

Check out NJ but don't form an opinion just based on the NYC area of NJ.

Ken
(From scenic, almost rural NJ)

#291048 - 06/10/09 10:49 AM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I've driven all over New Jersey, many, many times. There are some good parts of New Jersey too. My one cousin lives out near I-78 and I-287 in a nice neighborhood there. New Jersey is where I had to take that load of mushy tomatoes to (to Campbell's). It wasn't my fault. Princeton is a nice town, I've delivered groceries to the Wild Oats store there, Whole Foods in Millburn and Montclair too. Then again, I have been to a bunch of places in New Jersey that a lot of people wouldn't want to go to, like the Hudson Motel on Truck US 1 & 9, over by Rube's, right off of Exit 15E off of the Turnpike.

One time that I went to New Jersey over at Newark Airport a Fedex jet had crashed and was laying upside down in the middle of the runway. Before I got there some trucker with a heavy NYC accent said on the CB radio that it looked like "a dead pigeon with its feet sticking up in the air". Still to this day this is one of my favorite memories of my many trips to New Jersey.

Mark

Edited by Trucker51 (06/16/09 05:14 PM)
Edit Reason: wrong road

#291086 - 06/10/09 04:15 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Originally Posted By: Ken Singer, LCSW
Check out NJ but don't form an opinion just based on the NYC area of NJ.

Ken
(From scenic, almost rural NJ)

Ken's part of NJ is beautiful - really nice. And from all over NJ there are good rail and bus connections to NYC that are pretty cheap. When I was at Princeton we used to walk up to Nassau Street and hop on the first bus; we would be at the Port Authority Building in just over an hour.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#291512 - 06/13/09 11:19 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: roadrunner]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

You can also stay out on Long Island, or up in Patterson, NJ, Patterson, NY, Port Jervis, NY or Poughkeepsie, NY and ride the train to Manhattan too. Heck, you could even stay on Staten Island and ride the train to the Staten Island Ferry, but who would want to stay out on Staten Island???

http://www.mta.info/lirr/html/lirrmap.htm

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/simap.htm

I also found a really inexpensive hotel in Paterson, NJ that is only a two block walk from the train. Just remember that you get what you pay for in New Jersey too!!! The Scottish Inn there is only $58.49 per night for those dates, and it is only 18 miles from LaGuardia Airport too.

http://www.bookroomsnow.com/

Mark

#291922 - 06/16/09 05:20 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Trucker51]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I finally had to look up Lambertville on the map. For many years I used to be an advocate of missing the toll on the NJ Turnpike by driving west on US 202 from I-287 then dropping south on NJ Rt 31 down to I-95 north of downtown Trenton. Most likely I was one of those out-of-State truckers that the locals from New Jersey just love to hate. I have even driven US 202 into PA too, and I have also picked-up freight several times at Flemington, NJ. I can't say that I have ever been to Lambertville though. Do you know if there are any low-clearance bridges there (under 13'6")?

Mark

#292178 - 06/18/09 08:45 AM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Trucker51]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
As long as you stay on 202, the bridges are Interstate heights. Lambertville is the last exit before PA on the Delaware River. If you parked your truck there, it would be a 15 min walk to my house.

Appreciate your travel agent suggestions. I think as we get closer to the conf, people who want to avoid the high NYC hotel prices will be talking about reasonable places outside of the city that are close to public transit to get into the city.

The conf site is a relatively short walk from Port Authority, where the busses go, and Penn Station for the trains/subways.

#298717 - 08/10/09 12:44 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
sironsea Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
How much is the conference itself?

#298721 - 08/10/09 01:08 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: sironsea]
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Bradenton, FL
The final budget numbers are not complete yet. When the prices are ready it will be posted on the conference tab and a blast email will be sent out.

Everything works out right in the end. If things are not working right, it isn't the end yet. Don't let it bother you, relax and keep on goin
- Michael C. Muhammad

"I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing."
� Rabbi Hillel

#305403 - 10/06/09 02:14 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Ken Followell]
steveb121 Offline

Loc: Swindon, UK
Whilst in Dallas, I got my confirmation email from MS, telling me that I will be appearing again in NYC for the conference in March 2010

Hope to see as many of you guys there, and I will be bring a few more brits with me too

Steve

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.