Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 18 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443354 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#291242 - 06/11/09 01:50 PM Re: How Important Is Church? [Re: WalkingSouth]
LowSky Offline

Loc: Glen Burnie,MD
Being religious has NOTHING to do with FAITH.
Having FAITH has NOTHING to do with being religious.

Dan

#291282 - 06/11/09 10:29 PM Re: How Important Is Church? [Re: LowSky]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
low,

Well said.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#291310 - 06/12/09 07:05 AM Re: How Important Is Church? [Re: michael banks]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
Put it this way Terrick, I went to a different church than that of my parents, when it became clear that my Dad stopped believing and my Mum blew hot and cold and still does to this day.

That's one way to shut up your stepdad, go find a church of your own, since clearly he's not someone to be around on Sundays if he's shoving this church down your throat.

Edited by ComicBookGuy (06/12/09 07:08 AM)

#291908 - 06/16/09 03:28 PM Re: How Important Is Church? [Re: ComicBookGuy]
GentleSoul Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Manhattan
Hi Clockwise,

I think church has a profound role in many peoples' lives. When I went to church, I remember how people would gather round and socialize after mass and recollect how happy they were. I remember the social functions that were organized like bake sales, festival fundraisers, and choir practices. I would surmise that participating in these events allow people to feel less lonely, get a chance to socialize, and be around people that they feel are "safe". In a world of chaos and suffering, I think churches IMHO serve a useful purpose in providing sanctuary, order, and support. But I'd also like to point out that support groups such as Alcoholic Anonymous and other 12-step groups also provide the comfort and spirituality, than some organized religion. I belong to a 12 step support group and there isn't that much difference compared to churches. I do find more comfort, truth, and love in 12 step support groups. I've been going for at least 3 years and it is very humbling to witness a man bare his soul about "acting out" and revealing secrets (so similar to my own) that he's been burdened with for years. It really is an awesome experience and the connections that are established are just spiritual. I'm sorry this is sounding like a plug for AA but I think religion is very important to many people. Without religion I would think this world be in a deeper crisis of faith.

Jay

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.