Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
2 registered (focusedbody, 1 invisible), 59 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63107 Topics
441319 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#290323 - 06/04/09 08:48 PM How Important Is Church?
Clockwise Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I haven't been to church in a very long time. Its not that I don't like it because when I go I do enjoy the singing and preaching and such. But, I hate the way my parents sometimes act like church is the end all and be all of humanity. They themselves don't go to chuch very often but they have these little moments where they get all "spiritual."

For instance: my stepdad came in my room and asked me if I had any clothes I could wear to church on Sunday. I said sure, and instead of asking me he decided to tell me that he and I were going to church. Nevermind the fact that I don't want to go. And like everything else, if I say anything about it he'll have a huge attitude and start with his hour-long preaching session about how we don't go to church enough.

I just hate the fact that I don't get a decision in things like that. Not that I have anything to do on Sunday but still, it should be my decision.

OK, now that I'm through with my rant. I want to know, how important is church to you guys? I know as a Christian I should honor the Sabbath but sometimes I just don't care.

Terrick

Edited by Clockwise (06/04/09 08:53 PM)

#290325 - 06/04/09 09:43 PM Re: How Important Is Church? [Re: Clockwise]
Charlie24 Offline

Terrick this all part of growing up or so I've been told. You ask a very valid question. In a few years when your on your own you will be able to make all the decisions for yourself regarding your life.

To answer the question it really depends on the person. How important is organized religion to you? For some, like myself I find the social connection with positive, good people important. I like to go and just sit and be still, I'm very fidgety so it's nice to be forced to be quiet. I think others might say it's a way to connect to God and share it with other like minded people. I really think it is all going to depend on the individual.

I too remember being forced to go to church. Now that I'm out of my parents house I love the independence I have in my life. I've also come to realize how much of a hermit I can be at times, so this is a way for me to be around others, get a bit of social experience for myself in what I consider a good, healthy, safe environment.

I'm glad your asking these questions Terrick good your trying to shape yourself for your future. Hang in there bud.

Charlie.

#290327 - 06/04/09 09:55 PM Re: How Important Is Church? [Re: Charlie24]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi, my brothers.

As a non practicing Catholic, i haven't been in a church in a long time. But in the area of Texas where I live it's Baptist country. The nearest Catholic church is 30 miles away.

But here's my new view about "churches".

I'm here in the hill country boonies of Texas. I have taken the Indian view.

I go outside, look up to the heavens, then look all around me, the trees, the grass, the birds & the clouds. I can see God every where, no walls, no ceiling, no collection plate, no preacher/priest/minister giving me hellfire and damnation. I talk to God directly and marvel about HIS wonders.

But inside of me I still hold a grudge against him. Where was he when I was a young boy?

So try it your way, whatever works for you. Who needs a building??

Heal well my brothers/friends.

Pete (Irishmoose)

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#290333 - 06/04/09 10:45 PM Re: How Important Is Church? [Re: petercorbett]
wes-b Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Western, Canada
Terrick;

You opened a very interesting door, kudos to you. I think of church as community and fellowship with like minded believers. It is good and supports my faith, and as such is worthwhile. Is church a specific building... not for me, to go back to antient texts church is community worship and communion in humble submission to a Higher Power; I am in `church` when there are 2 or more of us together in worship. I'm a non-denominationalist Theist who goes to buildings known as churches and commun here a MS with fellow believers from the comfort of my home/office.

May your days of healing and recovery be blessed by those you serve.

Wes

Edited by wes-b (06/04/09 10:47 PM)
Edit Reason: needed it ;-)

Continuing to meet more of my fellows as I "Trudge the Road of Happy Destiny".

My Story, 1st pass

#290378 - 06/05/09 10:37 AM Re: How Important Is Church? [Re: wes-b]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Church is very important to me. Yes, there are some days I have doubts, even as to if there is even a God. However, for me, I truly feel there is a God, and without Him and His guidance, I would not be where I am today. I have made it a long way, I am in a much better place than I was 5, 10 15 years ago. However, there is a long way to go, and I pray that I have the stamina to make it.

#290453 - 06/05/09 10:22 PM Re: How Important Is Church? [Re: J.R.]
Tedure Offline

Loc: Utah
Well, I having always gone to church. I figure that church is for the sinners like me, Didn't Christ say,"The whole have no need of a physician." well I need to see the doctor at least once a week!

Happy Trails,
Ted

Edited by Tedure (06/05/09 10:22 PM)

#290750 - 06/08/09 07:57 AM Re: How Important Is Church? [Re: Tedure]
LowSky Offline

Loc: Glen Burnie,MD
" Let us not forget the assembling together."
I have my family there and some of them know of my past. Church is not important to me, my relationship with Jesus is. As far as being coerced into going, I say you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Your stepdad needs to understand you are an adult, he can no longer force his religious ways on you.
IMHO there are only two times you should go to church:
When you feel like it,
and when you don't.
I've found that the times I don't want to go are the times I get blessed even more than when I want to go.
As far as his attitude, that is just it, HIS attitude. Just because he acts in a way unbecoming way towards you does not mean you have to re-act.
Are you wise or a fool? When a wise man and a fool argue, only the fool wins.
Thanks for letting me share, I hope this helps.

Dan

Dan

#291035 - 06/10/09 08:16 AM Re: How Important Is Church? [Re: LowSky]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Terrick,

I think many spiritually minded young people like yourself go through stages where they wonder what the Church has to offer them and just don't feeling like going to church services on Sunday just for the sake of going. Perhaps the real question is this: How important is it to you to have other people around you with whom you can share your faith and raise your questions?

I was estranged from the Church for quite a long time because I was abused by a man with official connections with the Church, and he used that influence against me in so many terrible ways. But eventually I came to feel that there was something important about what I was missing, and in recent years I have been trying to make my way back to the Church.

My thought on this one is that you need to follow your heart. If your faith is important to you, but you aren't interested in going to church or are active opposed to going, then I would say, ask yourself why this contradiction exists. Maybe it's something that has nothing to do with church itself.

However this works out for you now, remember that you always have the option of doing things differently later on. What's important isn't the presence of your warm body in a pew, or what>
This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#291137 - 06/10/09 11:04 PM Re: How Important Is Church? [Re: roadrunner]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I never went to church, unless it was a school based thing. With the school i even stood up infront of everybody in church and have given a prayer all by my own- i think i was chosen because i was small and it amused people.

To me god and religion are completely different things, but thats a different arguement.

If church was like a community thing, like a club, and i had friends there, and believed in their work, i would treat it like any other club, and go when i could, but if i was busy with more important things i wouldn't go.

Sometimes i wished that i could go to church because i liked the songs and liked singing them, we would sing those in school assemblies and i think it is a good way to start the morning in school when you are young- to wake you up.

I've never for a second thought that there is a physical thing or place on this earth that means you are somehow closer to god. I still don't believe that.

I wont pretend to know exactly what the churches are like in America, but the ones around me are not really like a club. They are full of 80 year old people who are desperately looking for god on the eve of their death, or searching for another human being to talk to. I can honestly say, that out of all my friends, and all the adults i have met over the last 20 years of my life who live near me, none of them, as far as i know, are regular church goers. However, we do have 3 churches/chapels in 5-10 minute walking distance, each way, from my house. And many more not far if you want to drive a little. They are populated only by elderly. And mostly not populated.

These buildings were created during industrial and social strife, economic depressions, and religious upheavals, when everybody needed something to hold onto. With the english changing things and coal mines shutting down and politics changing. Now that things are better, that industry is stable again and people can afford to put food on the table these old buildings remain only for community events and clubs that are nothing to do with christianity, and of course the old who still like to go to the services. America seems very different. I sometimes try to imagine it, but i can't.

I wish i could help you out Terrick, but it is a whole different world to what i know and can comprehend.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#291150 - 06/10/09 11:51 PM Re: How Important Is Church? [Re: king tut]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Terrick,

This coming from a church goer, it's not nearly as important as the condition of your spirituality. Some of the worst despots of all time were church goers. In fact some of them were the top dog in the church organization they belonged to. Church or religion does not make a person better, it's what's in your heart that counts.

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.