Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Blank (36), christx (41), Heartonfire (38), Nathan LaChine (31)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 22 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63124 Topics
441426 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#290185 - 06/04/09 12:50 AM This past Sunday at the local church I attend
Charlie24 Offline

So guys I've started trying to get back into the routine of attending weekly church services. It has felt good to be around others and I notice the positive effects I get from church seem to carry over into the beginning of the new week, which helps me overall.

So this past Sunday my parents and brother were in town and my mom really wanted to get to church, she is very good about going and attending service. It was Pentecostal Sunday and most of the congregation were wearing red. It was also confirmation Sunday. The young adults gave their presentations.

When it came time for the last young woman to address the crowd she told her story of being raped by a person she thought was a friend. After it all she became so mad at God for what happened and how she felt. Finally she had the courage to tell her mother and other trusted adults to get help. She now feels as though God is working through her to improve her life after being a victim.

I'm not gonna lie, I was kinda shocked by her revelation in her confirmation speech. I was proud of her for being able to share her story with others, I've found that helps. She is a courageous young women.

After the service was coming to an end the Pastor made the announcement how proud she was for the young woman coming forward and that if others had been abused to come forward and share their stories with her. Had my mother not been there I might have been tempted to go and share my story with the pastor. Again I admire her for being able to come forward and share that very difficult and frightful, painful rape story. It helps, it really does.

It was refreshing to have such a church so open, honest, caring and compassionate for its members and visitors. This church is pretty liberal, they believe and state that God loves everyone, unconditionally and we need to the same. I've actually for the most part enjoyed going to this church and felt very welcome and invited.

!!!DISCLAIMER!!!!
(Not trying to start a debate, wanted to share her story.)

#290191 - 06/04/09 01:30 AM Re: This past Sunday at the local church I attend [Re: Charlie24]
Tedure Offline

Loc: Utah
Charlie,

Way to go, I know going to church has always helped me too!

Christ is the Prince of Peace. “My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled neither let it be afraid.”

I know this is true, keep happy

Your brother, Ted

#290224 - 06/04/09 09:22 AM Re: This past Sunday at the local church I attend [Re: Charlie24]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
charlie, i think it is very healthy, natural and necessary thing to belong to something larger than ourselves. i congratulate you for getting involved. maybe the pastor's invitation for others to share their stories is a tap on the shoulder for you to do the same. what a great way to give away complete control of your own self image and raise awareness about this grave issue. open the door to let people in and you will see a beautiful change in both yourself and them. in the same way that this girl inspired you, she inspired others, and you can do the same. let this community know that you are one of the many, and others will start to come forward. then the community will change as it begins to realize the depth of tragedy and suffering that effects its members. it can then minister better to those. and it will be in a position to inspire greater hope.

good job there charlie!

ron

#291852 - 06/16/09 10:39 AM Re: This past Sunday at the local church I attend [Re: Sans Logos]
LowSky Offline

Loc: Glen Burnie,MD
Charlie, I am in a recovery group and as part of my healing I have written my testimony. Doing the mental research was/is helping me deal with my past. I want to share it with my group and hopefully will someday, but if I NEVER share it,it was worth the tears it brought. Anyone have any thoughts about writing a testimony? Good idea or Bad? Public or Not?

Love in Christ, Dan

Dan

#292457 - 06/21/09 01:15 AM Re: This past Sunday at the local church I attend [Re: LowSky]
Tedure Offline

Loc: Utah
Dan,
Sharing your Testimony is a great thing to do, Write it or say it to someone. That's how you strengthen it! Don't be the least bit ashamed to share, The Bible says:

Rom. 1: 16
For I am not aashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth.

I know God lives and He loves Me.
Ted

#292475 - 06/21/09 10:23 AM Re: This past Sunday at the local church I attend [Re: Tedure]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Charlie,

I think it's a great experience to hear other Survivor's stories, especially when it is unexpected and in such a public forum (which sounds like a great place of worship).

My T has suggested that everyone is a Survivor of something. That we humans ARE survivors. She did not say this to minimize my experience, but to suggest that maybe I (we) have more in common with others than we think.

Peace,
Jim

My Story

#292496 - 06/21/09 02:54 PM Re: This past Sunday at the local church I attend [Re: Jim1961]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
jim, if only 'the others' knew what we knew..... ah, the land of taboo..... would they dare go there, as we have? whistle

lol, ron

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.