Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
clutzygurl (22), dun (50), Gene (50), ufp1964 (50), Zoot (68)
Who's Online
3 registered (royjay, Obi, pattom), 25 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63359 Topics
443044 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#289477 - 05/30/09 09:14 AM How Do You Reward Yourself?
Clockwise Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
My T once told me to reward myself for having such a good session. He asked me how I would do it and my mind was blank. I had never really thought of how I'd reward myself. I was eating what I wanted, going where I wanted, buying what I wanted-what else could I have? We finally decided that I would totally pig out on chips and soda more than I usually did. It didn't feel like I was rewarding myself though. Even now I don't know how to make myself feel better than usual. So how do you guys reward yourselves?

#289481 - 05/30/09 09:51 AM Re: How Do You Reward Yourself? [Re: Clockwise]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Yeah this has been something i have been trying to make sure i do too.

Sometimes i will just go out and buy some nice icecream or something like that.

Most of the time there is no time to reward myself for anything that i think i did well.

Sometimes if i think i did really well on a piece of work i might give myself an early night and just go to sleep- but that doesn't help with my work.

I used to go out and go to a music cd store and randomly buy a cd that i had never heard of to reward myself after a really hard day (stand there blankly to retrieve the will to go home), and then see if i liked it.

Maybe what you should do is, make a list of things that you want to do or want to buy, and just let this list build up over time because at the moment you will not be able to think of anything, and then when you feel like you need a reward go back to the list which you can keep on your wall or something and pick something, it could be something to buy, or something to eat (or creative to make or cook) or somewhere to visit. Anything. Over the past few weeks i have kept a piece of paper of things i want to buy, and it has certainly grown, so i know that it works.

You may already be buying the things that you want and that, but there is a difference when you know you are doing it to reward yourself.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#289486 - 05/30/09 10:42 AM Re: How Do You Reward Yourself? [Re: king tut]
wojax Offline

Loc: Florida
Hi
May sound silly but I HUG someone..friend, son, daughter grand child..or I might just buy smeone lunch and not tell..just a random act of kindness..They smile na I feel so good inside
Just my way
Gary

Jer 7:23 ps 91:16

#289500 - 05/30/09 12:16 PM Re: How Do You Reward Yourself? [Re: wojax]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Yes,

I habitually reward myself.

It started when I was about 9 and my mother would buy ice cream or something after a dental appointment.

Now I have broadened it from ice cream to anything kind of fun. It might be getting coffee at the local coffee shop or going to the book store and browsing.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#289522 - 05/30/09 04:14 PM Re: How Do You Reward Yourself? [Re: pufferfish]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Ice cream, steak dinners out at a nice restaurant, a trip to Las Vegas, or even a bag of Ho-ho's could all be viewed as some kind of reward. Even that cruise to Mexico that my wife and I went on last Spring was a rewarding experience!!!

My guess is that your therapist is referring to something like a nice dinner out or a trip to Baskin-Robbins, etc.

Mark

#289531 - 05/30/09 05:03 PM Re: How Do You Reward Yourself? [Re: Trucker51]
Jaifian Offline

Loc: washington state, USA
Since I tend to always (whenever I can) do what I most want to do anyway, I have always had a problem with that whole rewarding yourself thing.

I guess to reward myself I have to first deny myself something so I can reward myself with it. lol

#289537 - 05/30/09 05:37 PM Re: How Do You Reward Yourself? [Re: Jaifian]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Terrick,

I think what your T means is that you should choose something really special that you otherwise might not do for yourself. Do you like films? Go see one that really interests you. Are you interested in history? Go to see some historical place that you haven't visited yet - some place right there where you live.

The point is to IDENTIFY this activity as your reward for having a good session. That's what will make it special.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#289601 - 05/30/09 10:51 PM Re: How Do You Reward Yourself? [Re: roadrunner]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
Terric,

I have alway's wanted to try faux rockclimbing. there is a pinnacle at REI (in Seattle) and I am also into the healing power of shiatzu massage. Both would be excellent rewards for me.

...but what/how about you?

Might I suggest, if you need ideas about your area, I would look in the local web paper or simmilar type websights. (under the what's happening section).

You can also find out a lot of usefull information at your local chamber of commerce.

Best of luck...(an update would be cool...!!!).

island

#290042 - 06/03/09 01:46 AM Re: How Do You Reward Yourself? [Re: 1islandboy]
Charlie24 Offline

This is a great topic and I thank you for starting it. For me I'm on a restricted diet of no gluten, dairy or soy. So for the longest time I liked to reward myself with junk food that is free of those foods. I would pig out on it. As a nutrition major and one who wants to lead by example be healthy that isn't the best way for me to want to indulge. I need to find more physical activities that would be just as satisfying without the additional calories that I don't need. I need to figure this out for myself, thanks for making me think.

Charlie.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.