Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
4 registered (masryt, pattom, 2 invisible), 26 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63175 Topics
441759 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#28995 - 12/19/02 09:31 PM Re: afraid of who i must become
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Would it be helpful for a post about "normal" childhood sexuality? A post about "abuse-reactive" sexuality? I can put some info up, if there people want to know about this area. I teach a course on child and adolescent sexuality for grad students and can give you a brief (?) posting on this area if you want to know about what is "normal" childhood sexual behaviors as well as talk about abuse-reactive (caused by sexual victimization).

Ken

#28996 - 12/19/02 09:41 PM Re: afraid of who i must become
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Hi Ken,

Thanks much. I would very much appreciate so info on normal child and adolescednt sexuality.

Bob

#28997 - 12/20/02 12:20 AM Re: afraid of who i must become
Don-NY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Long Island, NY
Jeff,

I know what you're saying. What next? How could I have been so (dumb, blind, foolish, etc., etc.)?

I can only offer what I keep telling myself; a bunch of cliches, but true for me.

--One day at a time. Where I think something is going or how it will turn out is hardly ever accurate, especially when other people are involved.

--Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. I once cut all contact with a group of friends because two of them were "bad influences" on me. I regretted that for a long time, because of the good friends I lost.

--Don't burn bridges. Sometimes the only way onward is back across that bridge.

About your wife, I know people like her. In fact, my sister is like her. Nothing ever changed her mind, until recently. She has realized that according to her beliefs, her own "choices" must be responsible for problems she is having, including some health problems. The shoe is truly on the other foot now and she wonders why people have little sympathy and understanding for her.

Interestingly, this sister has always been the one to completely fall apart in an emergency or crisis situation. Just the phone being out of order can put her into a ranting fit that becomes an attack on anyone in the vicinity. Is your wife like that too?

I know for a fact that she is terribly insecure. She will hardly ever ask for help with anything, and then complains that no one offers help. If she does ask, she will then criticize the quality, amount, effort, or timeliness of the help given. She is compulsive with respect to cleaning and record keeping.

Any of this sound familiar?

I'm not really recommending this, but if the occassion for a rational discussion should happen, you might ask her what I asked my sister once. "Why do you choose to be so critical? Why do you choose to never give the benefit of the doubt? Why do you choose to never show compassion or understanding?"

My sister had no answers, but she did think about it, and her behavior did change for a while.

Don't know if a lot of this applies, but at the very least, maybe you can let her know that it is her choice to behave and think the way she does, and you would really like to understand that choice. Or is it a choice? Maybe it too is the result of a "sick mind"?

Donald

#28998 - 12/20/02 06:32 AM Re: afraid of who i must become
guy43 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Ken,
Please do post whatever you can on both topics you mentioned.
Thanks -jer

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.