Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
4 registered (learning2remember, Shyshark, pufferfish, 1 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63366 Topics
443094 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#289508 - 05/30/09 02:30 PM Paint with acrylics?
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
My questions:

How do you start, do you have to paint the backround first?
Acrylics, you can mix them right?
but don't use water right?
and you use normal brushes? i have some brushes- i'm going to use them anyway because i dont want to buy any
and how long does it take to dry?
do you have to wait inbetween colours?
how do you make detail using acrylic paints?
how do you make skin colour?
how do you make definite lines between blocks of colours?

i have some acrylic paints and a canvas that is 12x16 inches (looks just smaller than A3), i want a bigger one but this will do
i didnt buy any of it, my brother used to do art, and i dont think he will want any of it anymore, so im stealing it

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#289528 - 05/30/09 04:52 PM Re: Paint with acrylics? [Re: king tut]
Jaifian Offline

Loc: washington state, USA

Not really, though painting the background first is usually the best way to start most paintings.

but don't use water right?

Right. You only need water to clean the brushes.

and you use normal brushes?

Sure any soft bristled brush is fine. Of course, for covering areas, you usually want a flat brush as opposed to a round one.

and how long does it take to dry?

It depends on the temperature in the room, and how thick you spread the paint but at around 70 degrees, it usually doesn't longer than five minutes for a fairly thin coat to dry... maybe an hour and a half if you really glub it on.

If you aren't trying to blend colors on the canvas (which is very difficult with acrylics) then you will need to wait for one color to dry before painting over it or next to it without the colors bleeding onto each other.

Just use a fine brush. If you find the paint is too thick, you can thin it with water, but unless the paint's really old or something it should be fine.

Pink white and brown.. just keep adding more of each till you get the tone you want... of course, lighting is a factor. If you want the light lighting the person you're painting to be a certain color, you will want to include that color in the flesh tone.. at least where that color of light is hitting the surface.

It depends on your goal. If you're trying to make a person or object stand out from the background you can outline it with black with a fine brush as long as what your trying to outline isn't also black.

Hope this helps.

#289757 - 06/01/09 05:25 AM Re: Paint with acrylics? [Re: king tut]
b869 Offline

Loc: Philippines
Your Highness!, smile

Originally Posted By: king tut

I was planing to ask this questions too a couple of days ago I guess you beat me LOL

Marvin

When thing get complicated go back to simplicity

Harvey Fierstein
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.