Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cards (33), korbin2003 (39), Rosemary (53), Zebra (47)
Who's Online
5 registered (Austintexan, Bluedogone, don64, Obi, wild_turky), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63215 Topics
442037 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#289666 - 05/31/09 02:46 PM MS Conference in 2010
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Does anyone have any info about suggested hotels and costs of accomodation during the up coming MS Conference in New York next March? I'm trying to formalize a proposal at work to be sent to the conference, but without hotel costs, I'm not able to get a complete costing.

Anyone know where to get this info? And if you have any ideas about hotels, please let me know as I have no idea where I should stay. Thanks.

Jim

#289669 - 05/31/09 02:56 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Geeders]
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Jim,

The conference will be at John Jay College which is located near Columbus Circle. It is very convenient to the subways so hotels can be in the immediate area or out lying areas depending on your budget and willingness to travel by subway. In the immediate area is the Westside YMCA which is very affordable with hostel (shared bath) facilities. I have stayed there myself and is was a great affordable option. Quickbook.com has some good values.

Hope this helps as pricing can change pretty quickly in NYC.

Everything works out right in the end. If things are not working right, it isn't the end yet. Don't let it bother you, relax and keep on goin
- Michael C. Muhammad

"I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing."
� Rabbi Hillel

#289677 - 05/31/09 03:52 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Ken Followell]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
I found this searching Google for you.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=hotels+near+columbus+circle+nyc&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&ei=GN0iSpnBB6HytAO1sLSVBA&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&cd=1&resnum=1

Not mentioned are the Plaza at the south end of Central Park on Avenue of the Americas (6th Ave) and the Waldorf-Astoria, on the southeast corner of Central Park too. Trump Plaza is likely to be mighty pricey too. The Broadway subway line runs right through the area, so you could stay in Connecticut or even Rye, NY, and ride the train down to Grand Central, then take the 42nd Street Shuttle from Grand Central Station over to the Times Square Station and transfer to the Broadway line. The Avenue of the Americas line also runs out of the Times Square Station too. As I recall, the Long Island Railroad also shares a station with the Avenue of the Americas line so you could stay out on Long Island too. And there are plenty of other passenger rail and subway options too numerous to mention here.

Be sure to bring plenty of dough with you too, because NYC is one of the most expensive cities in America. Try Priceline.com or Expedia.com too.

Here is a little preview: http://www.trumpintl.com/

Mark

#289686 - 05/31/09 05:09 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Trucker51]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Ken and Mark for the suggestions thus far.

I've done a bit of snooping, and I can't believe the prices I am seeing! The Y looks like the best bet yet, but at $150++ a night, WOW!And the Trump Tower.... the day I spend that kind of money on a hotel room, well it better come with a butler as well!

I had no idea that NYC was so expensive. After I convert to Canadian funds, I think I'll be wearing out the zero key on my keyboard! laugh

Thanks again guys.

Jim

#289738 - 06/01/09 01:09 AM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Geeders]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Here is a mid-price hotel in Stamford, CT located so that you could walk to the train station. They run just $90/night plus tax.

http://www.stamfordamsterdam.com/

Here is a Super 8 motel near the train station in Stamford, CT. They run $71/night plus tax using an AARP/over age 50 rate.

http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=03165

Here is a Sunday commuter rail schedule from Stamford to Grand Central on the Metro North Commuter railroad.

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_results.cfm

The fare from Stamford is $18.50 roundtrip off-peak or $24.50 roundtrip peak. The railroad offers a local train that makes a number of stops at 66 minutes and an express train that only makes a few stops at 47 minutes. They run about every half-hour from Stamford, CT on Sunday. Parking in NYC is absurdly expensive so why don't you stay in Stamford, CT and park your car there??? I don't know what a NYC subway token is these days but I am guessing $3.00 each way with free transfers at the Times Square Station from/to the Grand Central Shuttle to/from the Broadway line. As I said before, there are plenty of other options available outside the city in nearly every direction too. Stamford is right by the ocean, not that it will make much difference in March. Were you planning to drive or fly??? Stamford isn't too far from La Guardia Airport, though depending on your time of arrival there it could take you an hour or 4 hours to drive to Stamford from there. Watch-out for rush-hour NYC-style, which goes from 5:30 AM to 9:30 AM in the morning and from 2:30 PM to 7:00 PM in the evening. For a little premium you can get into a Holiday Inn, Hilton, or Marriott in Stamford too.

The Stamford Marriott Hotel looks really high-end and it is $109/night on their 3-night rate between March 18th and 21st.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/stfct-stamford-marriott-hotel-and-spa/

Did you know that there are only 2 subway systems in the US that employ big heavy guys to push people onto the trains so that they can close the doors???

I wonder what that job pays in NYC???

Mark

Oops!!! That train schedule is a Sunday schedule. Weekdays the trains run every few minutes from Stamford to Grand Central Station.

#289810 - 06/01/09 01:35 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Trucker51]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Delete--not applicable.

Edited by Trucker51 (06/01/09 03:48 PM)
Edit Reason: new info

#289829 - 06/01/09 03:01 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Trucker51]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

American Airlines would like to fly you from YYZ to LGA roundtrip for $281, leaving 7:30 PM on March 18th, 2010, and returning on the 21st in time to work Monday.

Your Itinerary ?

Date & Time
AMERICAN AIRLINES
OPERATED BY AMERICAN EAGLE

Flight #4853

YYZ Toronto

Mar 18, 2010
07:35 PM

LGA New York

Mar 18, 2010
09:15 PM

ER3
AMERICAN AIRLINES
OPERATED BY AMERICAN EAGLE

Flight #4861

LGA New York

Mar 21, 2010
06:10 PM

YYZ Toronto

Mar 21, 2010
08:00 PM

ERD
Fare Summary ?
Average Fare per Person - 213.92 USD
Passenger Type Used in Pricing

Fare per Person

Additional Taxes and Fees per Person *

Total Price
1 Adult

Fare: 213.92 USD

Taxes: 67.63 USD

281.55 USD
Total Price

281.55 USD
Plans Flexible? Check lower fare availability.

* Fares are not guaranteed until tickets are purchased
* For U.S. residents, the ticket price per person shown above includes applicable surcharges.
* Flights not on American Airlines, American Eagle, or AmericanConnection® are on a request basis only. Fares and
availability are subject to change
* In order to comply with federal security regulations, we may provide government agencies access to data
you disclose to us

* Foreign taxes based on itinerary or non-U.S. billing address may apply. Additional Fees, such as checked bag charges, may apply.

Trip Insurance ?
Recommended: Protect Your Trip
Your travel plans are an investment worth protecting. Look for the opportunity to purchase trip insurance on the payment page before finalizing your ticket purchase.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Other times both earlier and later are also available. So far this is the cheapest fare that I could find. If you stay at the Stamford Amsterdam Hotel they will pick you up and drop you off free to/from LGA. 3 nights at the Marriott on their 3-day rate is $327 plus tax, or 3 nights at the Amsterdam in a queen room are $277 plus tax, and 3 roundtrips on MTA-North between Stanford, CT and Grand Central off-peak are $55 ($73 peak times) total plus $18 for the subway. You would not need a car but you could likely get a weekend rate from Enterprise for $150 +/- for a Jeep Liberty if you wanted to drive around. Choosing other Stamford hotels could reduce this cost further though the free shuttle from LGA is worth something certainly.

Total cost is $621 for air & train travel and staying at the Amsterdam hotel in Stamford, CT for 3 nights, which sure beats staying at the "Y". Add a weekend car rental for $150, which will cost less if rented in Stamford (no airport taxes). A taxi from midtown to LGA Sunday afternoon would run about $40.

Imagine that: The entire trip for less than one night at the Trump Tower, and staying at a Marriott to boot???

Have fun,

Mark

#289865 - 06/01/09 08:40 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Trucker51]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dear Trucker???Mark...

You should start a new moniker with Mark-Travel Agent Extraordinaire! Thank you very much for the hard work!

Now to get the boss to pay for it all! laugh

Cheers and thanks again Mark-TAE!

Jim

#289914 - 06/02/09 04:59 AM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Geeders]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I used to live near Stamford in kindergarten and 1st grade and again in 9th grade, and I have taken that particular train down to Grand Central Station too. When I lived there the railroad was the New York, New Haven, and Hartford. Now it is a part of MTA. The first roller-coaster that I ever rode on was the old Wild Mouse over at Playland Amusement Park in Rye, NY 10 miles west of Stamford too. I've flown in and out of La Guardia several times and we stayed once at The Plaza Hotel. Rockefeller Center is near John Jay College too. And in my trucking career I have driven through that area and all over NYC and Long Island too. Notice that I didn't recommend staying in Jersey City, NJ. I've stayed there too.

Another hint: Try to get onto your selected outbound train from Grand Central a little early if you want to find a seat. Grand Central is a huge train station with 200 platforms on 2 levels, plus different subway platforms on other levels. You might want to have dinner in the city Friday night to avoid the outbound crush at rush hour. Don't forget to make a reservation if you do want dinner in the city. Non-peak travel times start after 8:00 PM Friday nights outbound. Invest in a subway map, if for no other reason than to show it to your boss. Try to walk with the flow, not against it. Everywhere that you go there it will be a lot like going to a football game in Toronto. If you get lost, the locals are generally not too helpful either.

Better take your laptop so that you can ask Logan or me.

Just kidding,

Mark

#290082 - 06/03/09 01:36 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Trucker51]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I am looking to go to the MS Conference next year. I live in the Northeast corner of CT. What would be a decent inexpensive
place to stay at where I could easily travel to the Conference?

Also, I was wondering the the Conference itself would be breaking the bank? I have a little money, but I can't use it all up and have nothing when it is over.

J.R.

#290084 - 06/03/09 01:39 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: J.R.]
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
The conference committee is working on getting a list of hotels together. They will be posted on the site once the agreements are negotiated.

Everything works out right in the end. If things are not working right, it isn't the end yet. Don't let it bother you, relax and keep on goin
- Michael C. Muhammad

� Rabbi Hillel

#290088 - 06/03/09 02:08 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Ken Followell]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Ken. I'm waiting with baited breath to complete the costing to present to my boss.

Jim

#290125 - 06/03/09 05:56 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Geeders]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

J.R:

I have found motels that are even less-expensive as you go further east along the old New York, New Haven, and Hartford line (now MTA-North) than in Stamford. Stamford is located fairly close to La Guardia Airport and has access to express, as well as local, commuter rail. The Super 8 there is fairly inexpensive too. I'm sure that you could find less-expensive lodging in both Bridgeport and New Haven with access to the train too, though with distance comes extra rail cost involved too. Port Chester, NY is also on the same commuter rail line and has several higher-end hotels there too. Port Chester is even closer to Grand Central Station and La Guardia Airport than Stamford is, so there may be a relationship between distance and cost in play there too. I just looked at Stamford because that is where my experience is. I lived in nearby Greenwich, CT when I was a kid for a few years.

Mark

#290136 - 06/03/09 07:56 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Ken Followell]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Ken,

Originally Posted By: Ken Followell
The conference committee is working on getting a list of hotels together. They will be posted on the site once the agreements are negotiated.

What will the conference registration fee be this time? Many guys need this sort of information well in advance for purposes of financial planning.

Thanks,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#290147 - 06/03/09 09:35 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: roadrunner]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you Mark for the information. How close is Milford to the train station? We have relatives that live there, and probably could stay with them.

About how much was the last conference's registration fee? Is there a certain price for members, and a certain one for partners who are not members?

Look forward to the response.

J.R.

#290204 - 06/04/09 05:57 AM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: J.R.]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

J.R.

There is a station in Milford, CT on the New Haven branch of the MTA-North Red line. A one way trip to Grand Central Station takes about 90 minutes from Milford. The fare is divided into peak or off-peak rates on weekdays. Weekends are all off-peak prices. Off peak from Milford runs $25 roundtrip if you buy your ticket at the station in Milford, or $33 at peak times. You can also buy a split one way peak, the other way non-peak ticket for $29 from Milford.

http://mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

Here is a link to the schedule page. You will have to enter
your point of departure and what time that you want to leave.

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_results.cfm

For you other guys hoping to save a few bucks, the MTA-North
map shows all of their destinations. Plus there is the Long
Island Railroad and the Port Authority Hudson (PATH) rail
lines to New Jersey, Amtrak into Penn Station, and all of the
NYC subway and elevated routes too.

Here is another exciting map for those of you heading to the Big Apple.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Here is a trip planner to help you get from Grand Central to
John Jay College. You will have to enter your starting and
finishing point, and how far that you are willing to walk.

http://tripplanner.mta.info/customPlanner/customPlanner.aspx

The cost for the subway and bus combo is $2.00 each way.

Personally I will be staying at the Trump Tower, after I win the lottery!!!

Mark

#290225 - 06/04/09 10:01 AM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Trucker51]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

All this train/bus stuff is gibberish to my ears. I live in the country, and have never even seen a train, never mind try to figure out how to ride one!

Hopefully I can figure it out when the time come, as long as the price of the conference isn't too expensive.

J.R.

#290259 - 06/04/09 02:53 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: J.R.]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Almost nobody except the very wealthy drive a car to Manhattan. Daily parking rates are just way too expensive. A single parking space weekdays in midtown Manhattan can run $40-$50 per day, when a space is available, as most parking spaces are sold on a monthly basis. Space is at such a premium that parking garages often have automobile elevators rather than ramps. When using one of those garages it is a lot like valet parking, where they take your car and expect a tip later. When we lived in Greenwich in the 1960s and 1970s, most everyone who commuted to Manhattan on weekdays rode the train and the Subway to get to work there.

Why don't you try to hook-up with one of the guys who will be staying in Stamford or Port Chester? You could ride down on the train and meet them, then go together from there to Grand Central and on to John Jay College. Midtown Manhattan is a very busy and very crowded place.

Riding a train is a lot like riding a bus, except it is a bit louder inside the train. Some trains have lounge cars and Amtrak often runs dining cars, lounge cars, and sleeper cars in addition to coach and business class cars. You get to the train station and buy your ticket then wait for the train to show up. Once you get on a conductor will take your ticket, though there may be some newer electronic method of ticket-taking these days too. On most trains you can walk between the cars as the train is moving. Most longer-route commuter trains and Amtrak also have restroom facilities onboard too.

Grand Central Station and riding the subways might be a tough place for a beginner. On the subway you have to buy a subway "token" which is a coin, and either ask for a bus transfer or get one from a machine. The token will admit you through a turnstile. Then it is down the escalator and onto the train platform to wait for the train to show up. The subway routes are both numbered and color-coded. Make sure that you don't get on the wrong train, as there may be more than one route using the same platform. The engineer will call stops out on the train's PA system, and the stations along the line will also have lighted signs with the name of the station that you can read from the train. If you are also riding a bus you will have to give the bus driver your transfer ticket or pay again if you don't have a transfer. If you ride a city bus, the route and route number will be displayed above the windshield and sometimes on the side by the front door too. If you want to get off the bus there is either a cord that you have to pull or a button that you have to push usually above the windows to alert the driver that you want to get-off.

Welcome to the big city, what can we do you out of? Just be careful, stay in well-traveled areas, and try to go with someone else, and you should be fine. Don't flash too much cash, and perhaps put your wallet in your front pocket too. Carry some extra cash in a pocket just in case. Be wary of and try to avoid people who want to help guide you or give you directions for a financial consideration. Just be aware of your surroundings.

Hope that you enjoy your trip to the big city and hope that you find the conference beneficial.

Mark

#290261 - 06/04/09 03:03 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Trucker51]
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
Sorry Mark, but it has been a few years since you have been on the subway. Tokens have gone the way of silver dimes and quarters. Now there is a MetroCard that you can buy from vending machines at the station.

- Michael C. Muhammad

� Rabbi Hillel

#290268 - 06/04/09 03:34 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Ken Followell]
steveb121 Offline

Loc: Swindon, UK
Hey guys

I'm coming over from the UK, with some other group members and also the usual crew, hopefully...namely Mike Lew, Ken Clearwater and many some, or all of the others that were there last time, on the International Panel

It would be good to meet, face to face, some of you guys and also good to see you again Ken....it doesn't seem that it was that long ago we were in Orlando!

Before that, I am speaking at the conference in Dallas, so will be over there in October of this year

Hope everyone planning or hoping to come, can make it

Steve

#290283 - 06/04/09 04:55 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: steveb121]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

So, does anyone have any idea what the conference fees would be this time around? If you don't know about this year's, what were last year's?

#290309 - 06/04/09 07:52 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: J.R.]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

The last time that I rode the subway there was in the mid-1980s, from Grand Army Plaza in Brooklyn up to Lower Manhattan for dinner then back. I have driven a semi over both the Queensboro and the Williamsburg Bridges though, along with the George Washington Bridge, the Whitestone Bridge, the Throg's Neck and the Triborough Bridges, plus the Verrazano and the Goethall's Bridge too, as well as through both the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels. Nothing like driving a heavily-loaded semi on the BQE or the Cross-Bronx Expressway. I even know how to drive a semi off of Long Island to the Bronx without having to pay a bridge toll too!!!

Mark

#290372 - 06/05/09 08:17 AM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Trucker51]
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
The final pricing for the 2010 conference is still being worked on. The pricing for the 2007 confernce is here 2007 Conference Fees .

I believe using these prices will be a good basis for budgeting costs.

- Michael C. Muhammad

� Rabbi Hillel

#290377 - 06/05/09 10:32 AM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Ken Followell]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ken,

What's the "pre-conference"?

#290402 - 06/05/09 01:52 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: J.R.]
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
The pre-conference institutes are a full day of on one topic and are held the day before the conference officially begins. Under the conference tab on the home page you will find information on the Previous conference including a de>

- Michael C. Muhammad

� Rabbi Hillel

#290407 - 06/05/09 02:37 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Ken Followell]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Ken. Now I have an idea of what the Conference offers. Are there sessions that partners can attend? Can they attend ones that the male survivors go to, or do they have to go to something separate?

J.R.

#290409 - 06/05/09 02:53 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: J.R.]
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
The program committee is working on workshops geared to partners. The workshops will state who the intended audience is.

- Michael C. Muhammad

� Rabbi Hillel

#290410 - 06/05/09 02:59 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Ken Followell]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

OK, sounds good. When do we expect to hear more concrete answers? Will there be scholarships available this time around?

J.R.

#290414 - 06/05/09 03:20 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: J.R.]
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
I don't have a date for the registrations to be ready for publication. There is a HUGE amount of work being done by volunteers coordinating with presenters from around the globe that needs to happen before that. Please be patient. I would recommend not being dependant on scholarships.

People are working on that but the funding for them is always difficult and in the current economic situation I cannot see funding getting any easier.

- Michael C. Muhammad

� Rabbi Hillel

#290490 - 06/06/09 04:31 AM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Ken Followell]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

This is a link to a site that shows a number of hotels around Port Chester, NY, which is closer to both LaGuardia Airport and Grand Central Station than is Stamford, CT. I chose Stamford in part because they enjoy access to express trains there. Port Chester is a local train stop on the MTA Metro North line and appears to be fairly expensive too.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Port+Chester,+NY+hotels&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&ei=QCgqSq6lHKOytAOaxsSuCw&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&cd=1&resnum=1

#290531 - 06/06/09 03:17 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Trucker51]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

For those of you who would desire a decent hotel property in New Jersey with rail access to both Newark Airport and Manhattan there are Candlewood Suites hotels in both Secaucus and Jersey City. A single queen studio suite with a kitchenette, wireless internet, and a 32-inch flat screen runs $135/night for the dates of the Conference. Currently the hotel chain is running a buy two nights/get one free deal which would make 3 nights $270 plus tax if they will take that deal this far out. The hotel also offers a free morning and evening shuttle to the nearest rail station too. The one in Jersey City is right on the waterfront with a view of lower Manhattan. From the Jersey City property you would ride the PATH line to the 34th street station then take the Broadway subway line from there.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cw/1/en/hotel/NYCNJ/transportation?start=1

The Secaucus station is on the Newark Airport AirTrain line into Penn Station on Manhattan.

http://www.panynj.gov/AIRTRAINNEWARK/

Mark

#291039 - 06/10/09 08:47 AM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Trucker51]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
I'm glad you finally mentioned NJ, Mark. Newark airport is a short train or bus ride to Manhattan. Likewise, there are tons of less expensive hotels in NJ. If you book a place on the Jersey side of the Hudson, it is very easy to get to Manhattan and a short walk from Port Authority (busses) or Penn Station for trains.

Check out NJ but don't form an opinion just based on the NYC area of NJ.

Ken
(From scenic, almost rural NJ)

#291048 - 06/10/09 10:49 AM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I've driven all over New Jersey, many, many times. There are some good parts of New Jersey too. My one cousin lives out near I-78 and I-287 in a nice neighborhood there. New Jersey is where I had to take that load of mushy tomatoes to (to Campbell's). It wasn't my fault. Princeton is a nice town, I've delivered groceries to the Wild Oats store there, Whole Foods in Millburn and Montclair too. Then again, I have been to a bunch of places in New Jersey that a lot of people wouldn't want to go to, like the Hudson Motel on Truck US 1 & 9, over by Rube's, right off of Exit 15E off of the Turnpike.

One time that I went to New Jersey over at Newark Airport a Fedex jet had crashed and was laying upside down in the middle of the runway. Before I got there some trucker with a heavy NYC accent said on the CB radio that it looked like "a dead pigeon with its feet sticking up in the air". Still to this day this is one of my favorite memories of my many trips to New Jersey.

Mark

Edited by Trucker51 (06/16/09 05:14 PM)
Edit Reason: wrong road

#291086 - 06/10/09 04:15 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Originally Posted By: Ken Singer, LCSW
Check out NJ but don't form an opinion just based on the NYC area of NJ.

Ken
(From scenic, almost rural NJ)

Ken's part of NJ is beautiful - really nice. And from all over NJ there are good rail and bus connections to NYC that are pretty cheap. When I was at Princeton we used to walk up to Nassau Street and hop on the first bus; we would be at the Port Authority Building in just over an hour.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#291512 - 06/13/09 11:19 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: roadrunner]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

You can also stay out on Long Island, or up in Patterson, NJ, Patterson, NY, Port Jervis, NY or Poughkeepsie, NY and ride the train to Manhattan too. Heck, you could even stay on Staten Island and ride the train to the Staten Island Ferry, but who would want to stay out on Staten Island???

http://www.mta.info/lirr/html/lirrmap.htm

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/simap.htm

I also found a really inexpensive hotel in Paterson, NJ that is only a two block walk from the train. Just remember that you get what you pay for in New Jersey too!!! The Scottish Inn there is only $58.49 per night for those dates, and it is only 18 miles from LaGuardia Airport too.

http://www.bookroomsnow.com/

Mark

#291922 - 06/16/09 05:20 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Trucker51]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I finally had to look up Lambertville on the map. For many years I used to be an advocate of missing the toll on the NJ Turnpike by driving west on US 202 from I-287 then dropping south on NJ Rt 31 down to I-95 north of downtown Trenton. Most likely I was one of those out-of-State truckers that the locals from New Jersey just love to hate. I have even driven US 202 into PA too, and I have also picked-up freight several times at Flemington, NJ. I can't say that I have ever been to Lambertville though. Do you know if there are any low-clearance bridges there (under 13'6")?

Mark

#292178 - 06/18/09 08:45 AM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Trucker51]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

As long as you stay on 202, the bridges are Interstate heights. Lambertville is the last exit before PA on the Delaware River. If you parked your truck there, it would be a 15 min walk to my house.

Appreciate your travel agent suggestions. I think as we get closer to the conf, people who want to avoid the high NYC hotel prices will be talking about reasonable places outside of the city that are close to public transit to get into the city.

The conf site is a relatively short walk from Port Authority, where the busses go, and Penn Station for the trains/subways.

#298717 - 08/10/09 12:44 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
sironsea Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
How much is the conference itself?

#298721 - 08/10/09 01:08 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: sironsea]
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
The final budget numbers are not complete yet. When the prices are ready it will be posted on the conference tab and a blast email will be sent out.

- Michael C. Muhammad

� Rabbi Hillel

#305403 - 10/06/09 02:14 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Ken Followell]
steveb121 Offline

Loc: Swindon, UK
Whilst in Dallas, I got my confirmation email from MS, telling me that I will be appearing again in NYC for the conference in March 2010

Hope to see as many of you guys there, and I will be bring a few more brits with me too

Steve

#305448 - 10/06/09 09:19 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: steveb121]
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
I just got an email update this evening. This looks like a great program!

#308751 - 10/31/09 08:45 AM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: outis]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Is there a program posted somewhere with the presentations and presenters? I saw a psychologist yesterday who did a presentation on complex PTSD and it was excellent and very informative. If we don't have something on PTSD, I would like to propose her for the conf.

Would someone from the conf committee contact me?
Thanks

#311608 - 11/24/09 01:53 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi, Guys.

How does the conference compare to a woR? The conference looks very busy and NOT much for indvidual attention. Is it mostly for professionals?

After reading about both the conference and WoR, it seems the WoR allow a between chance for individuals to interact with each other.

The WoR seem to be less expensive too. Is this true?

Maybe I am wrong.

DJ

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#312401 - 11/30/09 02:54 PM Re: MS Conference in 2010 [Re: DJsport]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi DJ:

I hope that this finds you well. I will let you know what I have thus far been able to learn. Please keep in mind these are not "official" MS responses conerning the conference.

The conference, and a WOR should not be confused for being the same. While I have not attended a MS conference before, I have attended many similar events. A conference is more academic, learning oriented, large lecture rooms, small groups sometimes. Speeches, presentations. Tons of people, frequently in hotels or similar venues that can hold large numbers of people. Cost last time I think was in the $300 U.S. range I think.

A WoR is a lot more intimate, and geared specifically toward the individual participant, addressing his needs for safety, and learning about himself. Although there may be upwards of 20 or so men there, the opportunity for individual attention is built right in by virtue of the number of therapists who co-facilitate the WoR. Every therapist present is concerned about you, and focused on meeting what you perceive to be your needs. Its an opportunity to grow in untold ways, while remaining safe, and supported by the T-team, and your fellow participants. No one there will hurt you. They may challenge you a bit, to re-examine an issue or two, but they will not hurt you. Having participated in two WoRs, I can say the cost is about double the cost of the conference. Buyt so worth it, believe me. I believe that this cost diffrential is based solely on numbers. The more attending, the lower cost per head.

At the conference, given the constituency most likely to be interested in atending, there will be safe rooms, where anyone who finds themselves in difficulty with the issues, or material being presented, can go for support, and reassurance. While the outcome of a visit to a safe room may indeed be therapeutic, the purpose is not to provide individual therapy, but more of safety blanket to help get you through what you are experiencing.

I hope I have been able to address some of your questions regarding these two great events. If you need to ask another one, you know where to find me! smile

Jim

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.