Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beluga (64), Isreal101 (65), Phil Sober (41), phil1973 (41), Teddy Bear (63)
Who's Online
5 registered (Shyshark, woodenshoes, dan_in_newengland, 2 invisible), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63645 Topics
444495 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#289379 - 05/29/09 12:59 PM Do you tip servers?
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States

My question for you guys is; Do you tip waiters/waitresses? Please explain why you do or do not.

I DO tip servers, because I happen to believe in the business model (except for the fact that Uncle Sam insists on requiring servers to report a minimum of 8% on their gross sales as actual income, regardless of weather they receive a tip or not) I think it's total bullshit that our government is even taxing people who make such a small amount of annual earnings, but I digress.

The most prominent reason I believe in the system of tipping servers is because it's their #1 reason to perform, to be timely, to be pleasant, to be personable, and they're also you're first line of defense against the cooks in the kitchen who are trying to hand out bad/cold food to the customers. A server who has a reasonable expectation for a tip will make sure that the food is hot, timely if desired, and not stuff that was picked up off the floor after it was accidentally dropped. I believe in the tipping business model for the restaurant industry.

My question still stands; Do you tip or don't you?

#289380 - 05/29/09 01:07 PM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: Hauser]
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
unless the service is absolutely lousy I always tip at least a minimum of 10% (usualy closer to 20% - especialy if there is good service - or if it's slow and I know the person really needs the money)

waiters/waitresses work really hard - yet they have a very low base wage - they really do live off of the tips they make

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#289382 - 05/29/09 01:14 PM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: Hauser]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
i do tip, and always in cash as much as possible, even when i pay with a credit or bank card. i leave a minimum of 20% and often times more, simply because in working with the fickle public, they deserve to know that their service is valuable. i can also be a lousy tipper if it is obvious that the server does not 'like me', or if they seem to be more doting on the table they imagine will net them a larger gratuity, especially if i arrived and have already been seated.

when i eat out, i usually go to a select few restaurants, because i know that my dining experience at the particular establishment will be pleasant, and the service will not interfere with my enjoyment of the food or the atmosphere.

i think for equality's sake that everyone's traceable income should be taxed. but for people barely making minimum wage, and being mandated to report a percentage even if they did not receive the amount they are forced to claim, is ludicrous.

#289392 - 05/29/09 03:03 PM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: Sans Logos]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
You know me Alan, and I usually tip 18% to 20%, always cash to the server. For unusually high end service I have tipped as high as 25%, and for incredibly lousy service I'll pay much less too. When I am on vacation in Vegas if I'm up I tend to tip like a high-roller. A couple of servers over time have lost their jobs as the result of really lousy service at my table too.

I think that a consumption tax would be the best way to go. If you earn less, you will spend less, and be taxed less too.

#289418 - 05/29/09 07:56 PM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: Trucker51]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
In Britain the dynamics are different, so we don't tend to tip as much. There are not many places in Britain where tipping would be considered very normal, people might look at you strange if you offer a tip. Although in posh restaurants it seems more customary, which is strange, it should be more customary for the poorer restaurants not the fancy ones. In America i have heard that the servers make up alot of their wages from tips (not so in the UK), so if i was in America i would certainly tip, but i wouldn't be overly generous since i work hard for my money too and i can't give it out like smarties.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#289419 - 05/29/09 08:03 PM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: Hauser]
Clockwise Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I do tip waiters and waitresses simply because I know what it's like to work with the public-it's hell. You pretty much get blamed for everything. I always feel embarrassed when I go out with certain relatives because they treat some of the servers like complete shit. I'm not sure of the whole gratuity model and such but I do understand a person who puts on a brave face does their job, no matter now small, with pride.

#289421 - 05/29/09 08:17 PM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: Clockwise]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yes, but then servers are not the only people in public service who take all the blame for everything and still put on a brave face. I'm not saying they don't deserve it, just representing the other side of the coin.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#289422 - 05/29/09 08:28 PM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: Clockwise]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
My parents are retired teachers, and I am told, it is amazing what a janitor will do for you....if you treat them like human beings.

I have the same mindset for tipping...

Locally...at my popular hangouts,I even tip for bad service, (which normally happens during the tourist season). I understand when they are overwhelmed and the bottom line is, they spoil me whenever possible.

Closing Time (Semisonic)

island

#290029 - 06/02/09 11:56 PM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: 1islandboy]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

I know it is different in Europe than the U.S. but for myself I try to hit close to around 20% but really adjust for the situation. If it is a cheap bill I usually go more just because usually there is still a certain baseline of effort (even on say a $10.00 tab). My dad once made a comment that he doesn't tip as well on the wine portion of a bill if it contains expensive bottles of wine. For example, he wouldn't tip someone $20.00 to open a $100.00 bottle of wine. But that really has not ever been something I have needed take into account.

#290054 - 06/03/09 08:30 AM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: ericc]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
I use to tip a lot better when I thought they were barely squeezing by with the tips and wages, but then I learned someone I know makes $18/hour as a waitress at Perkins (not even a fancy restaurant) when you average all the tips out. That's 7 dollars more than I make an hour -- I don't feel so bad not giving 20% now. With that info I'm sort of annoyed that I'm made to feel like I "have to" tip more -- I'm not rich either! wink lol

#290059 - 06/03/09 10:36 AM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: AndyJB2005]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
I've got shades of the opening of Reservoir Dogs in my head now laugh

I do tip but always in cash for that serving person and never as part of a service charge by card - too many greedy-arsed managers pocket the cash for themselves in the UK now. 10% is my minimum and they get more if they go the extra mile with the service.

Not that I'm Mr Shouty-pants if anything goes wrong, I'd just take the tip down to 5% or not leave one at all, depending on whether it was the specific server's fault.

Edited by ComicBookGuy (06/03/09 10:37 AM)

#290078 - 06/03/09 01:18 PM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: ComicBookGuy]
here4him Offline

Yeah I tip the waitstaff if my cup stays full....(if my cup is empty for any extended amount of time the meter starts droppin) and my food is hot. I also tip the girl that does my hair and the chick that does my nails and pedicure provided i'm not bleedin when I leave. I don't do % I give what i can usually no less than $3 for my family of 3 but if you have an attitude believe I don't feel that I'm EVER REQUIRED to tip and have no prob with payin the bill and walkin out.

#290081 - 06/03/09 01:31 PM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: here4him]
wojax Offline

Loc: Florida
Hi
I always tip...normaly $5.00 if the servic is good 2 if not.
My wife was a waitress for many years and earned good tips that is how we made it...I like you never leave a tip on a card..
Gary

Jer 7:23 ps 91:16

#290135 - 06/03/09 07:19 PM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: wojax]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
There are places out there which have sullied the idea of tipping. I have a Quizno's sandwich shop near me, and their sandwiches are good in a pinch. But they have a tip jar sitting next to the register, as if saying "give us more of your money." They didn't serve me anything like the servers at restaurants. They didn't come out to a table, take my order, and bring it out later. They just made my sandwich and rung me up. Other places do likewise, not being servers at all, they just simply have a jar there for more money.

The origin of tipping has it roots (perhaps in part) in the story of a gentleman named Dr. Johnson who would visit his local coffeeshop on some regular basis. He would drop a few pence into a box labeled "To Insure Promptness." Note these words spell out T-I-P with their first letter, hence the acronym of tip. The idea was to induce a hightened motivation in the generally listless attendants. These days it has morphed into simply supplementing a server's income, used more as a way to convey ones level of satifaction with the service.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#290142 - 06/03/09 09:19 PM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: FormerTexan]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I feel it's also good to point out that it's best for the server, if you do leave a tip, to make it in cash you're paying the regular bill with a credit card. Why? If you pay the tip on the credit card, it leaves a paper trail of liability to the server on reported income, so they HAVE to the full income tax.

What's my point? Why not leave out the greedy middle-man (IRS) and maximize your transaction?

#290159 - 06/03/09 10:55 PM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: Hauser]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Is that true Andy about T.I.P.? Interesting. Alan, good point as well not that I am condoning such a thing.

#290179 - 06/04/09 12:27 AM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: ericc]
myboyhoodfears Offline

Edited by myboyhoodfears (08/31/09 11:56 AM)

#290180 - 06/04/09 12:28 AM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: ericc]
Charlie24 Offline

I think this is a great topic guys. I agree about if the service is bad I'm less inclined to tip well. As others stated it really all depends on the service. I didn't know about the the tipping in regards to credit cards. I've been told by a good family friend that if you don't leave a cash tip that the server doesn't get the tip at all. Never really understand it until it was explained to me in great detail here within this message. I guess I will have to try and remember that from now. Good points gentlemen.

Charlie.

#290187 - 06/04/09 01:05 AM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: Charlie24]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Like I said before, if it's a little hole-in-the-wall place and they seem to be not making a lot, I'll tip them more. But if it's a busy place and they're making more than my wage in tips, I'm not gonna tip big just because I'm "supposed to" tip big.

I hate that...that I'm "expected" to...how hard is it to bring out a plate and drink...that's $5 worth of work? lol wink

#290579 - 06/07/09 12:59 AM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: AndyJB2005]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Quote:
just doing your job...like serving hot food,..pouring drinks and such, does not "really" warrant extra money

Thus my issue with places like a sandwich shop just setting a "tip" jar by the register. They did nothing exceptional to seek any extra money from me. Just doing their job, their paycheck is supposed to cover that.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#291910 - 06/16/09 03:46 PM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: FormerTexan]
GentleSoul Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Manhattan
Thanks fellas for the very interesting perspectives. I usually am very generous because I believe highly in karma - you get back what you put out.

#293617 - 06/30/09 04:00 AM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: GentleSoul]
lostcowboy Offline

Loc: North Texas
If a sandwich shop has a "tip" jar by the register, the owner is stealing from his employees. In the US if the employee can get tips then the owner does not have to pay minimum wages. When I go to a subway shop, I stand and go through the line, and take the food to my table, get my drink, take my trash to the trashcan, I don't expect to pay a tip, so I don't. If they should put a tip jar by the register, I am going to start giving them hell. If I go to a all you can eat buffet, I will normally give a tip, if they bring something to the table, and I see that they also clean the tables.
Most people leave the tip on the table, but I have learned something from my wife who is much older than me. Being that we are disabled we give ether one dollar for each person at the table or ten percent of the bill which ever is larger. Anyway when we are ready to leave my wife will call the waitress over, and personally give her the tip and thank her for giving us such good service. She does this even if we didn't get that good of a service. But I have noticed it don't take long for them to start remembering her and giving excellence service. I do believe the waitresses like that personal thank you even more that tip.

True story, about 20 years ago me and the wife were on the way to las vegas, we stopped at this truck stop to get coffee. The counter was full so we got a table. We got our coffee, but our waitress went in the back and did not come back out to give a refill. I finally got up with the two cups and headed to the counter, where I was properly served by the other waitress. My waitress finally came with my bill for the two cups of coffee. At which point I put a penny on the table and gave the other waitress a five dollar bill while the first waitress saw it. The next time I saw my mom again I told her this story, expecting her to agree with me, (She was a old time waitress). Instead she told me that I had made a mistake, she said you should not have left the penny. It seems that in the depression, leaving a penny was code for (you have given me excellent service but I cannot pay you for it at this time.) So if you have bad service don't leave a penny!

#294214 - 07/04/09 02:50 PM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: lostcowboy]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
laugh I once knew some guys who talked about tipping cows. laugh

#294322 - 07/05/09 05:56 PM Re: Do you tip servers? [Re: pufferfish]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: pufferfish
laugh I once knew some guys who talked about tipping cows. laugh

you're a funny guy smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.