Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
asdude1981 (33), Avery46 (51), hans32 (46), jean-noel (49), Kirk (59), Kirk Wayne (59), Mechanical (21), OldTrafford (50)
Who's Online
4 registered (traveler, susie, 2 invisible), 10 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64192 Topics
447955 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#289251 - 05/28/09 02:20 PM Losing a Loved One (My Dog)
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
Her name Is Cashmere, she is an 11 year old Shih Tzu.

She was my dad's first pick (the runt of the litter) born with birth defects. That being said she was an ultimate companion.

She slept on my chest, when I was resigned to the couch (5+ years) through my trainwreck of a marriage and with me through my entire recovery process.

She is in her bed right now (in front of the sliding glass door, smelling the island breeze)...

I was informed by my vet yesterday...she is all wore out and the compassionate thing to do is put her down.

She has no idea that she will be euthanized in a little more than 5 hours and I'm having a real hard time saying goodbye.

Needless to say I am getting real tired of crying.

I have had a dog since I was 7 and she wont be replaced. (not that she could ever be)...as it's next to impossible to replace ultimate...!!!

My heart breaks, and it's times like these, that being in touch of your feelings really sucks...!!!

Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad (Def Leppard)

island

#289259 - 05/28/09 03:51 PM Re: Losing a Loved One (My Dog) [Re: 1islandboy]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
island,

I am so sorry to hear about your pet. And yes, I know how you feel. I lost my german shepherd Bruno last year and I still miss him. Dogs really are man's best friend, and like you I have been around them seemingly forever.

Now is not the time to consider such things, but a bit later I hope you will relent and perhaps consider getting another dog. No, you won't replace Cashmere. They're all unique and special. But that's exactly the point. A new dog will also be unique and special, just as Cashmere has been. You will both bring each other a lot of joy.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#289276 - 05/28/09 05:12 PM Re: Losing a Loved One (My Dog) [Re: roadrunner]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks for the reply Larry.

I went outside to talk to the neighbor and she managed a few feable barks. (something I haven't heard in a couple of days).

I also sat with her on the couch and she managed half a lick (like she was saying, I love you,but...I don't have another face licking in me... (I guess I'm just going to have to learn to do it myself).

I know I could spend a couple thousand dollars and buy a couple of months. (but that would be selfish of me...as her quality of life would suffer greatly).

There is nothing left to say (I guess)...other than I was hoping if I wrote a little about her, at least a part of her would be here (if only her name), whenever I visit.

If I close my eyes forever (Lita Ford with Ozzy Osbourne)

island

#289303 - 05/28/09 09:17 PM Re: Losing a Loved One (My Dog) [Re: 1islandboy]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

islandboy,

jeez, I'm sorry. I just acquired a small dog a couple months ago and I cannot imagine losing her. My heart goes out to you as you encounter this loss. Please know that you have our compassion and care.

John

#289312 - 05/28/09 11:01 PM Re: Losing a Loved One (My Dog) [Re: WalkingSouth]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you John,

It goes without saying, that I am going to miss the hell out of her.

At the same time, it helped in the end, that she perked up (head out the window) while going to the veterinarian's. (just like old times).

And I got one last facewashing, in her own special way, of saying goodbye. Somebody's got to wear their heart on their sleeves...(and I'm afraid that is going to be me for a while).

Fly to the Angels (Slaughter)

island

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.