Newest Members
FredM88, Vermona, Jas52, oliviaavaxj, biboy24
12109 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
-Matt- (39), kevin1963 (51), Northwoods (61), rcb0973 (58), sportinrucks (29)
Who's Online
8 registered (CafeMan, lapchinj, 4 invisible), 66 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12109 Members
73 Forums
62492 Topics
438005 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#286020 - 05/01/09 07:04 PM Lost My Job Today- Gift or A Curse?
Clockwise Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Yes, the title is right, I lost my job today. I just got in about 25 minutes ago after walking home from work. My job was as a supermarket cashier and lets just say it wasn't exactly wonderful work. I really don't work well with the public, but the last few weeks have been pretty good. Anyway, when I go to work at 5:30pm today my manager gave me 10 break cards (break cards are worth $2 and are given when you do an exceptionally good job, come to work on a day off or just for any good deed where a simple "thank you" isn't enough). She gave them to me because I agreed to come in later in the day than I was supposed to. I would have gladly come in at that same time without the break cards since I hate working early in the day.

I couldn't have worked more than 20 minutes until I got callled into the managers office. Another manager, a custome service rep and our security officer sat me down and basically told me that yesterday as I went on my lunch break I didn't pay for my items. I didn't know what they were talking about because I am no thief, but they explained to me that as I scanned my items at the self-checkout lane I slid my debit card on the payment device but I never completed the transaction-I just walked away. I don't remmeber it but they have it on camera and honestly, I don't dispute it. I wasn't exactly at my best yesterday. I was stressed out and it could have easily slipped my mind. So yeah, I got fired for not pressing a button on a machine. The items couldn't have cost more than $5 and I would have gladly paied it right then and there but they informed me that they had to follow procedure which I fully understand.

So now, I'm stumped. On the one hand: I don't really like my job and if I could I would be doing something else, but on the other hand: I'm only 19 and have little to no experience doing anything else. Thanks to my parents I lost my license so I can't drive until I get it back on July 8th and even if I could there aren't many places to work here in the suburbs.

I'm stuck. I'm not crying or hating myself, actually, it feels almost like a refreshing dream, but I don't know how I'll feel later. They said that I could call my union rep and have a meeting and probably get my job back, but part of me just wants to let it go and move on.

God is really playing with me today. I get congradulated on doing something good and then I get fired. (sigh) What do you guys think? Should I just more on or fight for my job? I'm in the middle and it hasn't even been an hour since it happened.

Terrick

#286041 - 05/01/09 10:12 PM Re: Lost My Job Today- Gift or A Curse? [Re: Clockwise]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
Clockwise,

If you belong to a union...do you pay dues...???

I mean, if you do...WHY do you???...if you don't want their representation or council.

If, it's an honest mistake...it's an honest mistake...(that simple).

Times are tough...IF you quit, shouldn't it be on Your Terms...???

Human (The Killers)

island

#286052 - 05/02/09 12:28 AM Re: Lost My Job Today- Gift or A Curse? [Re: 1islandboy]
Charlie24 Offline

I agree with 1islandboy about the union thing. Clockwise I used to work at a grocery store working as a cashier like you. It was an emotionally exhausting job dealing with the public.

I paid union dues and got screwed. My old manager was paying me a bagger's salary for cashier work. Total b.s. I fought and won.

Another issue I had a co-worker who was recently promoted to office manager, she got to count the cashier's drawers each night. Well she was helping herself from my drawer, but it was only on Sunday nights when she worked the cash office. My drawer would always be off and I was accused of stealing money. Well how could I know what was happening since I didn't get to count my drawer when I was done. I was accused of stealing when upper management and corporate knew what was going on with this female employee.

I don't work there anymore and am going to college full time. Trying to get a better career than that, thanks to an opportunity to go to college.

Good luck to you and it's too bad that happened. An honest mistake Terrick. Are they willing to listen or have they closed the door on you?

Charlie.

P.S. Sorry if I made this about me, I just can relate to the frustrations you face. Good luck to you man.

#286063 - 05/02/09 09:12 AM Re: Lost My Job Today- Gift or A Curse? [Re: Charlie24]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
Terrick,

Leaving myself out of this one (I've found it hard to keep a job down whenever the healing process really bit down), I would say fight through the union or privately, make sure that even if you don't go back there, the company (not your branch of that store) issues you with a standard "yes he worked here" reference.

You don't want future employers looking at your resumé and seeing "dismissed for dishonesty", they won't care about an explanation, you just won't get the job.

#289171 - 05/27/09 11:57 PM Re: Lost My Job Today- Gift or A Curse? [Re: ComicBookGuy]
Casmir213 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northeast, USA
Terrick,

I know you posted this a while ago, but I just read it recently as I am new here. I don't know if you took any action on it, but I would like to add my two cents to this.

Even if you really don't want the job I think you should still fight this thing. I say this because I think it would be therapeutic for you. It would give you a voice in the matter. It's a matter of being heard and having a voice so that at least you can say you fought back against an injustice.

Show them that mistakes happen and it wasn't your fault and that you didn't deserve to get fired for making just one mistake. I'm sure if you start the process of filing a grievance through the union you'll start to feel better.

Good luck no matter what you decide,
Rocco

WoR Alumnus - Hope Springs, OH, October 2009

My avatar is the farmhouse at the Hope Spring, OH WoR. It's a nice place.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.