Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (54), Ready2MoveOn (44)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63789 Topics
445471 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#288977 - 05/26/09 08:22 PM Blueshift changing screen name.
Jaifian Offline

Loc: washington state, USA
When I signed on as blueshift about a year ago I wasn't thinking about how many internet searches would turn up my name if I had a screen name that is also some famous person, place, thing, or phenomena as opposed to how many would turn it up if I have a completely unique screen name that I made up myself.

As you may know, "blueshift" is also the name of a the phenomenon in which the light waves change the color of a body moving towards the viewer at a high velocity. So anyone wanting info about that phenomenon is likely to also run into my posts made as "blueshift".

So, for privacy's sake I decided to greatly reduce the internet exposure my posts get here on the public side by changing my screen name to something that gets no results from a google search.

So same great product, different name. You've heard that one before I'm sure. lol

#288983 - 05/26/09 08:49 PM Re: Blueshift changing screen name. [Re: Jaifian]
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
Is that like Diamond Shreddies Mister Shift?
I've been called infallible enuff times...
waddayathink?
Sounds like a wise decision to me & you wear it well.

C

#288987 - 05/26/09 09:14 PM Re: Blueshift account now defunct [Re: Jaifian]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
i guess that would be more like it.

people may think you can arbitrarily change your screen name, but you can't. the username is in stone once it's chosen.

for very good reasons, sometimes we will elect to allow a display name change under certain circumstances, but in doug's [fka blueshift's] case, his account was simply closed [ ie banned and made inaccessible permanently].

for his own privacy reasons stated above he decided to go the route of starting over with a clean slate.

i hope that clarifies things a bit.

ron

#288999 - 05/26/09 11:05 PM Re: Blueshift account now defunct [Re: Sans Logos]
Jaifian Offline

Craig! Long time no C! I have been pretty irregular myself lately (on MS, that is lol) so I suppose I've just been missing your posts, but it's nice to know u r still here. smile

#289003 - 05/26/09 11:35 PM Re: Blueshift account now defunct [Re: Jaifian]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Now you just need to get credit for your 1240 previous posts. My username has several other users on Google including some truck parts dealer in Ohio. Good luck with your new username. I'm sure that it won't affect your progress.

Mark

#289010 - 05/27/09 12:19 AM Re: Blueshift account now defunct [Re: Trucker51]
Jaifian Offline

Your posts are probably seen by thousands of truckers every day! lol

#289019 - 05/27/09 01:19 AM Re: Blueshift account now defunct [Re: Jaifian]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Hmmmm, I must admit, that's a thought that just never occurred to me.

I've been online so much for about 9 years, I have a full online name, ----- even a joke address which i write into annoying web forms where I'd rather not give my actual one.

I suppose googling Dark empathy will turn up my posts here or in one of the various other places I've written, ----- though I always try "dark" before dark empathy (though after the anime boogie pop Phantom with the character called Dark, it's pretty often taken these days).

funny enough, that thought doesn't actually bother me for some reason, ----- I'm not sure why, ---- but obviously that's me and others will feel differently.

For amusement's sake, here's my spoof address:

The ivory tower,

13, desolation row,

The windmills of my mind,

zip/postcode 000 unzipppered!

#289023 - 05/27/09 01:33 AM Re: Blueshift account now defunct [Re: dark empathy]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
We are now a shiftless bunch!! laugh

Allen

pufferfish

#289024 - 05/27/09 01:45 AM Re: Blueshift account now defunct [Re: pufferfish]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Better than being a shifty bunch! ;D.

#289042 - 05/27/09 05:46 AM Re: Blueshift account now defunct [Re: dark empathy]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
They'd probably search for doppler effect or something, unless they only heard about it on tv or something, but i understand what you mean. I tried and i don't turn up any of your posts by entering blueshift into google. Being a physics student i will certainly miss your old screen name lol, but hope the new one works out well!

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.