Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
biggbill70 (44), CP4 (24), EddieMi (46), EddieT (46), hemi1024 (54), Kage (70), kdj_74 (40), Knightswhitehart (49), otlhouston (47), TX_Space (47), VirtualBman (50)
Who's Online
3 registered (manipulated, Jleed, 1 invisible), 18 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63801 Topics
445520 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#288956 - 05/26/09 05:34 PM Victims No Longer
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Hello all.

I wanted to ask if there was anyone on here that has read the book "Victims No Longer" by Mike Lew. I have heard it was a good book, but was wondering if anyone would be willing to expound.

Would it be worth to buy?

JR

#288972 - 05/26/09 07:41 PM Re: Victims No Longer [Re: J.R.]
b869 Offline

Loc: Philippines
I haven't read it yet... but people here said its really a good book and could help a lot

When thing get complicated go back to simplicity

Harvey Fierstein
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.

#289014 - 05/27/09 12:59 AM Re: Victims No Longer [Re: J.R.]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
HI MY BROTHERS.

FOR ME THE BOOK VICTIMS NO lONGER WAS WORTH IT'S WEIGHT IN GOLD.
ANOTHER BOOK THAT I FOUND FIRST WAS BROKEN BOYS/MENDING MEN. ALSO WORTH IT.

FOR ME THEY WERE A TREMENDOUS HELP IN MY ONGOING RECOVERY.

HEAL WELL MY BROTHERS/FRIENDS.

PETE (IRISHMOOSE)

Edited by petercorbett (05/27/09 01:00 AM)
May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#289016 - 05/27/09 01:03 AM Re: Victims No Longer [Re: b869]
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
it was one of the 1st books that I read...

it's a great book - well worth it to buy in my opinion - I like the layout of the book - everything is broken down into topics that seem to build upon the previous one - it's very straightforwardly worded - easy to understand - just a very good book...

even a lot of libraries have it if you don't want to spend the money to buy a copy yourself

if anonymity is an issue check out our site's bookstore here MS Bookstore - they ship in plain packaging that no one will know what's inside...

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#289062 - 05/27/09 09:04 AM Re: Victims No Longer [Re: TJ jeff]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well, from the reviews here, sounds like a pretty good book. In High School, I got the Courage to Heal book and workbook from my guidance counselor, still trying to work through them too.

#289114 - 05/27/09 04:11 PM Re: Victims No Longer [Re: J.R.]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
JR

Victims no longer is an excellent book. I bought my first copy in 1990 or 91. When I was first started recovery and there was not many rescources available. The book helped me to understand myself and some of my behaviors in a whole new lite. Made me realize that I was not alone and my behaviors were not my fault.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#289115 - 05/27/09 04:16 PM Re: Victims No Longer [Re: michael banks]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
JR,

Victims No Longer is a compassionate and meticulously accurate book that opened the way for a whole range of literature on male survivors. It was a pioneering work when it first appeared and the author was invited to speak about it on the Oprah Winfrey show. Mike Lew himself is one of the most caring and gentlest men you could ever hope to meet, and his way with survivors is astonishing.

VNL was one of the first survivor books I read, and this spring I have been going through it again. It amazes me how much I keep learning from it each time I pick the book up. You won't regret buying a copy.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#289367 - 05/29/09 11:33 AM Re: Victims No Longer [Re: roadrunner]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well, sounds like you all really recommend the book. I am on my way to get it right now, thanks for all the advice.

#289369 - 05/29/09 11:37 AM Re: Victims No Longer [Re: J.R.]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
you can get it pretty inexpensively on amazon.com

#289371 - 05/29/09 11:52 AM Re: Victims No Longer [Re: Sans Logos]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yes, I just ordered it through the MS Site which linked me to Amazon and it was pretty cheap.

I also ordered "Beyond Betrayal" by Dr. Richard B. Gartner.

Thank for all your help.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.