Newest Members
Barracuda312, Just Hanging, mossTI, E35, 1975
12339 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
deaddreamer (41), hkkim (55), tony watashi (44)
Who's Online
2 registered (Aptrick, 1 invisible), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12339 Members
74 Forums
63433 Topics
443434 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#287438 - 05/14/09 04:07 AM My Inner Child
Clockwise Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
A lot of you have probably read and/or responded to my thread about not being able to sleep. Again, thank you for your responses and support.

Over the past few weeks I've been up past 3 in the morning and with nothing to do I usually listen to music and watch tv. Lately, I guess you could say I've been getting in touch with my inner child, mostly watching cartoons from when I was a kid. Some of them I watch and say to myself "How in the hell did I ever look at this?" but a few I've actually enjoyed watching. Shows like (please don't laugh) Little Bear, Gullah Gullah Island, Speed Racer, Top Cat, The Jetsons, Popeye, Kipper and the Pink Panther just to name a few. Most of them were long off the air by the time I started watching them as a kid but not only does it feel good to somewhat relive the happy times of my childhood I actually find myself laughing and enjoying the shows.

I like it. Even though I wish I could be asleep at least I'm not bouncing off the walls like I used to when I couldn't sleep. You guys ever do things like that? I know a lot of you had terrible childhoods and I'm sure just the thought of them brings back horrible memories, but do you ever just sit back at try to remember the good times even if they are few and far in between?

#287469 - 05/14/09 11:53 AM Re: My Inner Child [Re: Clockwise]
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
ther's absolutely nothing wrong with cartoons - everyone needs happy things in their lives - many many adults still love to watch cartoons - myself included smile

cartoons where one of the happiest things in my life as a child - I'd get up in the early hours before mom and watch bugs bunny, mighty mouse, road runner and coyote, woody woodpecker, the flintstones, the jetsons, popeye, ect...

watching cartoons as a young kid was my happy time before the darkness of another day after mom awoke

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#287562 - 05/15/09 12:59 AM Re: My Inner Child [Re: TJ jeff]
Shadow+Walker Offline

Loc: desolate foggy nights, USA
Cartoons that were my top picks: Pink Panther, Bugs Bunny, Rocky and Bull Winkle, & Super Friends

My all time favorite show was Six Million Dollar Man. When that went off the air I thought Battlestar Galactica was way cool!

Runners up: Waltons, Little House on the Prairie, Hardy Boys,
Emergency, Adam 12, Dragnet.

Check out a cool song by a hot band..."Unbreakable" by Fireflight: official video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWRJAHaOrYg

#287581 - 05/15/09 08:21 AM Re: My Inner Child [Re: Shadow+Walker]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Hi Terrick,

Yep, I often now look back to the good times I had as a boy, and that has been very important to my recovery. I think we really do need to incorporate the "good stuff" into our vision of ourselves as boys. It is all to easy for survivors, as adults, to continue holding on to that feeling we had as boys that we were utterly different, damaged beyond repair, freaks just pretending to be real boys. It's not true!

And cartoons? Well, I imagine you can guess what my favorite was - and still is!!!! laugh

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#288398 - 05/22/09 12:40 AM Re: My Inner Child [Re: roadrunner]
MrEdd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Texas
I recently met my inner child.

#288512 - 05/22/09 08:55 PM Re: My Inner Child [Re: MrEdd]
Charlie24 Offline

I'd like to get to know my inner child. I think I'm starting to get to know the little me.

Shows I enjoyed were: Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, Zoobilee Zoo, Rugrats, Doug, SNICK, Fraggle Rock. Now I know these aren't all cartoons but they were some of the few shows I enjoyed growing up. I also remember being fascinated with cartoon movies at the time, American Tail, Little Mermaid, Fievel Goes West...

I recently had a teacher tell me that the moment you loose touch with your inner child is when you really get old. I think there is some truth to that.

That's great your getting in touch and getting to know that inner child.

Charlie.

#288552 - 05/23/09 04:46 AM Re: My Inner Child [Re: Charlie24]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Back in the 80s I saw a program on PBS called Homecoming. It was about John Bradshaw and his "inner child" workshops.

I was drawn right in. So much of what he discussed hit home (no pun intended) for me. I took a day off work and went to his workshop at the Pittsburgh convention center.

It was the first time I had thought of the "inner child" inside me and it was very powerful. The room was packed and there were many men my age there (in their 20s). He spoke a lot about children growing up in alcoholic families and the damage done, and many of these guys were in tears. I suspect that some (like me) also had CSA in their pasts.

I purchased the book (Homecoming) and read it quickly. Looking back, my life improved somewhat and I was healing a bit. I was more confident and socializing more. This was the first time I felt that I wasn't a freak and someone understood me.

Jim

My Story

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.