Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443354 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#288382 - 05/21/09 10:46 PM Words that are Hard to Say
kid-at-heart Offline

Loc: Kansas
Does anyone have problems with not being able to say certain words?
I've just been getting started on this site and so many things are popping up I want to talk about to see if there are others facing similar issues and how you're dealing with them. The not-alone thing really is being helpful.

Over my life I have counted I think around 60 words at one time I couldn't speak. All related to the body and or a hint of intimacy to them. Most of them I have no or less trouble with now like earlobe, elbow, toe, some cringing over boyfriend, girlfriend, dating..but there are others that I still have problems with.
I don't know exactly what to ask other than if someone else has had or having this problem and what has helped?

thanks,
Sam

Edited by kid-at-heart (05/21/09 10:48 PM)

#288383 - 05/21/09 10:52 PM Re: Words that are Hard to Say [Re: kid-at-heart]
christianfather Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TN
There are a lot of words that trigger or I can say or hear yet. It's hard some times

#288385 - 05/21/09 11:16 PM Re: Words that are Hard to Say [Re: christianfather]
kid-at-heart Offline

I've managed a lot of work arounds in my life to cover the fear up.
Thanks for responding christianfather

#288386 - 05/21/09 11:47 PM Re: Words that are Hard to Say [Re: kid-at-heart]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Hi.

this is sounding very familiar. Ever sinse i became an adult, words like the S word have been incredibly painful for me to here, ---- and anything more explicite feels incredibly wrong, like a small electric shock in the back of my neck. this covers just about any discussion of the subject at all in anything more than the widest sense.

I know exactly where this comes from, sinse humour on that subject was a pretty major part of my abuse, so I got entirely used to believing something bad would happen whenever I got close to the subject, but it just feels like a reflext reaction to me, ---- something I can't kick.

Talking on this site has helped, as has having adult discussions about the subject with people who know my history and can use euphemisms, which helps me separate the subject from the phonemes that bother me, but sinse the subject itself also bothers me, I've never managed a work around at all and this is something I'm stil trying to get around.

I'm hoping that if I can work on my fear of the subject, it'll decrease fear of the word, ---- but this is proving a long process.

I'm now reminding myself of Harry potter and "he who must not be named" and the business abou fear of a name creating fear of the thing itself.

thanks for raising this topic, it's really nice to know that other people are working on this as well, and I deffinately hope you find a way around it.

Luke.

#288393 - 05/22/09 12:26 AM Re: Words that are Hard to Say [Re: dark empathy]
MrEdd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Texas
For a long time, I could not memorize the serenity prayer because I would go blank when I got to the word "Trusting".

Trust is, in my estimation an irrational concept.

#288443 - 05/22/09 10:51 AM Re: Words that are Hard to Say [Re: MrEdd]
Shadow+Walker Offline

Loc: desolate foggy nights, USA
I hate the "locker room conversations." Especially among the professionals, it seems so out of place.

I myself have a hard time typing the word "come" as in to approach or draw near, because of the other connotation. I will restructure the sentence or paragraph to avoid it.

As a professional I sometimes have to adress human sexualtiy, and as a legitimate topic of concern or academically I can do so. Probably because I am in control of the quality and direction of said discussion.

Peace,
Shadow+Walker

Check out a cool song by a hot band..."Unbreakable" by Fireflight: official video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWRJAHaOrYg

#288612 - 05/23/09 05:03 PM Re: Words that are Hard to Say [Re: dark empathy]
kid-at-heart Offline

Hi Luke,
Knowing you are out there too having problems helps take the sting out of feeling like its a big secret that it's very diffcult to hear or say some words.
At some points of progress throughout my life I would make myself say one of the words when I got around to feeling like I could. And with time some just wore out being afraid of them.
When younger I used to shift into "doctor" mode to hear the s..word in a group to be able to not run from a room.
My work-arounds were to use a wide de>

#288613 - 05/23/09 05:04 PM Re: Words that are Hard to Say [Re: MrEdd]
kid-at-heart Offline

Oooo, I can relate to that one.

#288614 - 05/23/09 05:12 PM Re: Words that are Hard to Say [Re: Shadow+Walker]
kid-at-heart Offline

I'm getting too, that since we're all talking about having trouble with some words, that everybody I see out there in the world may have problems too. Its not just me. Oddly that makes me feel more "normal."

I work with a bunch of women nurses and can they ever have "Locker room" talk.
I'm very familiar with the sentence restructuring verbally. I can point to a body part, make a joke, spin it..but man has that taken a lot of energy.

Talking in the shower has helped me at time making bold attempts to spit out a word. Sort of like it won't have so much power over me then.

Thanks Shadow-Walker

#288672 - 05/24/09 10:30 AM Re: Words that are Hard to Say [Re: kid-at-heart]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I find the word "abused" actually quite hard to say out loud to people, i think it is because i feel so much that when i say the word out loud that it shows on my face that i know the word very well, and that makes me nervous. It doesn't stop me from using the word though.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.