Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
8 registered (manipulated, ShortedDiode, Jude, focusedbody, 3 invisible), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63808 Topics
445565 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#288023 - 05/19/09 04:55 AM Belief In God By Default?
Clockwise Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I do believe in God. But there are times where I wonder if I believe because I want to or because that's what I've been taught.

I'll be a junior in college this fall and before that I went to Catholic school my whole life. I'm not Catholic, I'm Baptist, but my parents would have rather had me go to a good religious school than a public school where I probably would have been eaten alive.

Along with that and having a family of average church-goers its easy to see why I'd believe in God, yet I still question my belief. I feel like I believe in God because I need something to believe in and God and Heaven just happen to be the best thing. I just can't accept that I am born, I live, I die and then that's it. I have to believe that there's something else after this life because if there wasn't then what's it all for?

There was a time when I stopped believing-it was right after my father died. I just couldn't believe that God would take the most important person in my life away from me like that. I've since started believing again, but its just not the same. I guess I would rather be naive like I was when I was a kid than to have this huge question mark over my head.

So what do you guys think? Am I just worrying about nothing? Thanks for reading.

Terrick

#288028 - 05/19/09 07:14 AM Re: Belief In God By Default? [Re: Clockwise]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Terrick, I think your thoughts are very valid. We often follow what we know from others - family, friends, mentors...etc. It is okay to question but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Try exploring your beliefs. See what you easily accept about God and then what you might believe differently from the influence of others. Make it personal for you. Seek advice from a church authority but study on your own. Form what you believe. You will eventually feel more solid about your beliefs. Don't let anyone deter you from this. To some it may seem like treason to question. I believe but am forming my own way with God. It may not line up with friends and family but that is their problem. Don't worry. You will come out better for it.

Glad you posted this. Got me to thinking more.

#288514 - 05/22/09 09:03 PM Re: Belief In God By Default? [Re: prisonerID]
Charlie24 Offline

Terrick I felt like you were a bit a mind reader for myself regarding this topic. I agree with you completely about the born, live, die, gotta be something more. I've discussed this openly on this site about while I feel like there is a god I'm just not sure if I believe in it. I think about if there isn't a god that how significant life would be for me. How insignificant we are in the universe. What is out there? I'm kinda branching out from your topic but boy can I relate to you bud.

Charlie.

#288523 - 05/22/09 09:38 PM Re: Belief In God By Default? [Re: Clockwise]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
my faith in the supreme presence of awareness has nothing to do with religion, which is a system of beliefs created by men to make sense of it all.

i too was exposed to religiosity early on in my life, and i tried to make god fit into that box, but that idol was powerless to help me in anyway that lead to inner peace and freedom.

some people do not value a relationship with that which gave us our breath and our substance. i know for myself, when dealing with the effects and the damage of having been sexually abused and assaulted, raped, that the spirit, that which cannot be contained in the walls of molecular structures, moved me into a realm from which i have not ever wanted to leave. some may call it the kingdom of heaven, but whatever it is, i would not be able to live without 'it'.

it has brought 'me' peace, joy, love and understanding such as i had never known. i am caught up in the warm embrace of a power that does not flow from any dogma or creed. it just is, this power which keeps the air rising and falling in my chest, wants me to know and share its deep abiding presence in my life on this plane.

#288722 - 05/24/09 08:07 PM . [Re: Sans Logos]
bardo213 Offline

Edited by bardo213 (06/21/13 07:33 PM)

#289795 - 06/01/09 12:14 PM Re: Belief In God By Default? [Re: bardo213]
Tedure Offline

Loc: Utah
Terrick,
Keep believing in God. I know He's real. This life is a test.

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. (Ether 12:27)

Take care brother,

Ted

#289944 - 06/02/09 11:00 AM Re: Belief In God By Default? [Re: Tedure]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Terrick,

I think it's natural and normal to question our religious beliefs as we become older. It's something we need to do if our faith is to continue to be relevant to who we are and what we want and do in the world.

A medieval Muslim theologian wrote a book in about 1110 AD in which he discussed this problem, and it's amazing to me how relevant his thoughts are even today. What he says is that religious faith isn't some fixed thing that good people have and bad people lack. A good person doesn't have faith because he turned it on, like he would light a candle.

This theologian goes on to compare simple literal faith to a vase on a shelf. When I raise questions about my faith that vase of literal simplistic belief is shattered. What can I do? I can pretend that nothing has happened. I can put the pieces back together and set the reassembled vase back in its place. I can say, "Here is my vase, as before." But is that true? No. There is no vase. There is only a bunch of broken bits stuck back together. What I have now cannot serve any purpose to which I might want to put a vase.

What I really need to do is to take the pieces of broken glass, melt them in the furnace again, and reblow the vase. What I get will be the same glass, but it won't be the same vase. What I create now will reflect what I need now, and it will represent the efforts of someone who is more experienced and thinks differently than he did years earlier.

All that will be okay. Your faith and beliefs have to meet your own needs. Whether they satisfy the demands and expectations of others is not the point; let them worry about that.

Hope this helps some.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#289951 - 06/02/09 12:11 PM Re: Belief In God By Default? [Re: roadrunner]
wojax Offline

Loc: Florida
Terrick,
First God Bless you son...You are asking questions i hear over and over by high school and college kids...How do i know for sure.....And I think it is a fair question...
To know is to examine your releaionship with the Lord ...Is he the Lord of your Life? Do you know that he Died for you? Only you can answer these types of question...
You keep searching and asking question untill your sure. Just remember God is always there ....
Blessings Gary

Jer 7:23 ps 91:16

#290108 - 06/03/09 04:44 PM Re: Belief In God By Default? [Re: wojax]
Clockwise Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Your responses have really opened my eyes up. I've never seen myself as a very religious person but I try to live regular life as best I can. I have always wondered though why so few teenegers believe in God. It's like everyone over the age of 15 that I've ever asked has said that they don't believe in God. Why is that?

#290112 - 06/03/09 04:56 PM Re: Belief In God By Default? [Re: Clockwise]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Terrick,

Many teens do indeed believe in God and consider religion to be an important part of their life. But our teen years are a time of challenging and questioning in general, and many teens zero in on religion as a target for such challenges, probably because religion is an area that we so obviously follow the lead of our parents for a long time during our childhood. Separating ourselves from parental authority involves a lot of experimenting with separating ourselves from things that we have inherited from our parents.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.