Newest Members
beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1, AustinChemist, wild_turky
12276 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4113 (60), Andre M, (36), catchup22 (62), jim OCA 7 (57), sidhearthur (55), SkyClad (65)
Who's Online
4 registered (susie, I Want 2 Thrive, Doubter, 1 invisible), 29 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12276 Members
73 Forums
63164 Topics
441712 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#287950 - 05/18/09 06:14 PM Movie: The Boy In the Striped Pajamas
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
***Not Triggering***

This is a movie I really enjoyed. I don't mean to undercut the tragic elements of the story. What I enjoyed is that the boy actor brought home to me so many memories of myself.

The boy Bruno, played by Asa Butterfield, is supposed to be 8, but I really suspect he is 9. But that doesn't matter. He just looked and acted like I think I must have at that age. That is precious to a guy who lost his childhood through traumatic abuse.

Furthermore, the cruel personality of Lieutenant Kotler was very much like that of my abuser at age 12. Not nice at all. Imagine a child like Bruno being in total care of a monster like Lt. Kotler for 2 weeks without any oversight and you have the picture of what happened to me.

Sometimes guys in MS ask what they can do to bring back memories of themselves. This is a good way. Watch films that are well done and that will bring you back to yourself at that age.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

Edited by pufferfish (05/18/09 10:04 PM)
Edit Reason: to add Lt. Kotler

#287954 - 05/18/09 06:45 PM Re: Movie: The Boy In the Striped Pajamas [Re: pufferfish]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

I almost rented this the other day. I wish I did now.

#287975 - 05/18/09 09:37 PM Re: Movie: The Boy In the Striped Pajamas [Re: Riley]
GeorgeMartin Offline

This movie I rented at the local Movie Gallery too. I liked the movie somewhat, but the whole environment in the movie was "off". I mean you have an environment of which the people are supposed to be dressed in a German way, sound German as in speaking "atleast" with a German accent. The Jewish boy, his clothes were never dirty, neither were the other prisoners at the alledged Work Camp.

The mother of the boy, she became instantly "down", "mental" over becoming alledgedly so suddenly aware of the "smoke" in the woods from the "Camp" and yet when they, the parents decided the two children and wife would leave to reside with other relatives, the mother instantly is "back to normal" and is pleasant with her murderous husband. They were speaking and dressed as if they were in some '50 English movie, not from and of Germany, which made this movie less that real, atleast for me anyway. But wow, what an ending!!

They would have done a headcount and matched the numbers to make sure they were accounting for who they were exterminating too. Very unlikely a small boy would have gone unnoticed and unchecked in such a Concentration Camp regardless of how remote. German Nazis with the wonderful help of IBM of America, were obsessed with accountability in who they detained, and exterminated.

Want to read more? War Against the Weak, Breeding Better Vermonters, IBM and the Holocaust.

My family was targeted in New Hampshire by the Children's Aide Society (now called Children's Protective Services) which then allied with the Eugenics Movement here in New England.

Never assume it didn't happen here in Amerika. It did starting with the Native People's, Boarding Schools and Trains; etc.

#288720 - 05/24/09 08:00 PM Re: Movie: The Boy In the Striped Pajamas [Re: GeorgeMartin]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
THat was one of the toughest movies I've sat through. Was stuck with Jaw-On-Floor for quite a while.

Still's Globs

New Video

#293836 - 07/01/09 05:08 PM Re: Movie: The Boy In the Striped Pajamas [Re: Still]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

I finally got around to renting this movie. Even though it may not have been historically accurate I definitely enjoyed it. Much like Mysterious Skin I thought it did a very good job of covering a very screwed up topic. With that ending, I can say that I view the Holocaust very differently. I saw many similarities with both Bruno and the other child. I'm still kind of shaking from that ending thou. Brought up alot of emotions.

#293843 - 07/01/09 06:22 PM Re: Movie: The Boy In the Striped Pajamas [Re: Riley]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Allen,

I haven't seen this one yet, but thanks for your comment - it's on my list now. smile

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#299212 - 08/13/09 11:42 PM Re: Movie: The Boy In the Striped Pajamas [Re: roadrunner]
gimmeacall Offline

i haven't seen this movie yet ... but i believe it should be ok

Edited by ModTeam (08/14/09 12:26 AM)

#299222 - 08/14/09 01:43 AM Re: [Re: gimmeacall]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State

Edited by Freedom49 (05/22/10 02:20 AM)

#299277 - 08/14/09 12:38 PM Re: Movie: The Boy In the Striped Pajamas [Re: Freedom49]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

I will be renting this movie. I KNOW it is healing to revisit the memories.

Another movie I just watched was "Vision Quest". I was awesome. My high school days were NEVER like this but, I can start now.

DJ

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#299309 - 08/14/09 04:03 PM Re: Movie: The Boy In the Striped Pajamas [Re: DJsport]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I saw it's available to instantly watch via netflix.... so one of these nights....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.