Newest Members
pjmd, j_f1974, Dan234racer, ajax, marmill252
12431 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mTm (55), Oz (28)
Who's Online
2 registered (cant_remember, highflight), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12431 Members
74 Forums
63838 Topics
445784 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#279978 - 03/18/09 08:33 PM Re: Nighmares and PTSD [Re: Olive Oil]
jls Offline

Hi Olive Oil,

From everything I know about PTSD recurring nightmares are usually part of the picture. However, my understanding is that PTSD dreams normally involve the particulars of an event that led to the development of PTSD. For instance, sometimes I have sexual nightmares that I know are linked to my SA. At the same time I have had recurring dreams involving natural disasters or nuclear war, niether of which I have never actually experienced. That said, I've been witness to alot of violence and death in my adult life so perhaps its getting all mixed up. In any case, the point I want to make is that stress is stress, and that sexual abuse of any sort can automatically lead to the kind of shock and disbelief associated with someone who has PTSD. I hope your partner gets help for his nightmares. From experience I can say that too many bad night's sleep builds up to quite a deficit. Take care. JS

#280241 - 03/21/09 08:59 AM Re: Nighmares and PTSD [Re: Tadd]
nathan555 Offline

Loc: Australia
Guys if you are waking up with nightmares come onto MS
remember MS being international functions 24 / 7
you might wake up in the night but somewhere its day time
and a survivor might be waiting for a chat.

Nathan

#280443 - 03/23/09 01:47 AM Re: Nighmares and PTSD [Re: Tadd]
ahappyshadow Offline

From the time I left home I remember having a reoccuring nightmare, a snippet of a scene, played over an over again. The color of her bra and panties, the smell, the place and then a deep fearfulness. For years these would haunt my sleep, always triggered with some stressfullness. I never really understood what they meant since I hadnt remembered the abuse yet. Then one day when I was in a department store I smelled the same cheap Avon perfume she wore and everything came flooding back in a daymare. Since then, the nightmares are nearly nightly. My wife is sometimes awakened by the crying in my sleep. The nightmares are always the same, either an occasion with Elaine my female abuser or my uncle. Now I stay awake as long as I can to avoid sleep, only going to bed when I am completely exhausted, then hope for a couple hours without dreams. Like some of the others above, this lack of sleep has the effect of driving the nightmares into the day. These for some reason are the worst. The intensity how hard I fall afterward make them something I fear. Its worse for me around Christmas time which was the last time I was abused by her.
I know it has been very hard on my wife to go through this with me and yet be so powerless to really help. The biggest thing she does for me is believe in me.

#287260 - 05/12/09 09:49 PM Re: Nighmares and PTSD [Re: ahappyshadow]
didi Offline

Loc: USA
My son and nephew (abused at four years old) use to have nightmares every night. They have been in therapy for over a year now. The nightmares only come when they are triggered now.
My son is triggered by smells of Indian food and my nephew is triggered when he has a really bad cold with post nasal drip and cant breath. (those are really bad nightmares) It takes my sister and I a half hour of walking him around(still sleeping) letting him know that it is us and that he is safe and to open his eyes. It is almost like he is "stuck" in his nightmare and cant escape. Does that happen to any one else?

Didi

#287603 - 05/15/09 02:51 PM Re: Nighmares and PTSD [Re: myboyhoodfears]
jls Offline

I have a recurring nightmare where there is this angry, evil force in the actual room that I am sleeping in that whips around my head like a wind. In the dream I am screaming to try and wake up but no sound comes out. I can also see my self from above the whole time, almost like an out of body experience. When I can finally wake up from one of these nightmares I have a really hard time going back to sleep, not because I am not sleepy but am scared to death of the dream occuring again. I also have a number of dreams associated with violence and natural disasters that occur regularly. I can't remember the last time I had a pleasant dream. As it is I'd rather not dream at all.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.