Newest Members
mojo, James M, FredM88, Vermona, Jas52
12111 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
-Matt- (39), kevin1963 (51), Northwoods (61), rcb0973 (58), sportinrucks (29)
Who's Online
11 registered (don64, I Want 2 Thrive, CafeMan, Cam76, 4 invisible), 65 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12111 Members
73 Forums
62494 Topics
438019 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#286986 - 05/10/09 10:36 AM Teen boy abused by other teens *Triggers*
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
This article gets to me in two ways:

1) As in numerous other news articles, the incident is "alleged." It is never pinned down as an absolute event from a reporting perspective.

2) The victim's mothers states "You expect your child to be safe at school." Hello! I grew up in an unsafe elementary school and an unsafe middle school. I feel her "expectation" is more about denial.

Teens charged with sexual battery of student
TAMPA, Fla. — Four teenagers have been charged with sexual battery against a fellow member of their flag football team in a locker room at their Tampa area middle school, authorities said.

The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office said in an e-mail statement that the alleged incident happened April 30.

Authorities said in the statement that two of the suspects allegedly held the 13-year-old victim down while the other two sexually battered him with a broom stick and a hockey stick at the Walker Middle School in Odessa.

The victim came forward Tuesday, claiming he had been bullied, a school district spokesman said. They sat the students down, and law enforcement authorities were notified after details of the alleged assault were revealed.

The four students have been charged with sexual battery and false imprisonment, according to the sheriff's office.

The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office identified them as Randall John Moye, 14; Raymond A. Price-Murray, 14; Lee Louis Myers, 14, and Diemante J. Roberts, 15.

Assistant State Attorney Pam Bondi said the four will be charged as adults.

"It is sad, so sad," the victim's mother told the St. Petersburg Times. "You expect your child to be safe at school."

The Associated Press does not identify victims of sexual assault and is not identifying the boy's mother to protect his identity.

The mother told the Times the school advised her not to discuss the matter until she had retained a lawyer.

"I want to protect him," she said. "It's so private."

The teens continually harassed and picked on the boy between March 15 and May 5, 2009, the sheriff's office added in its statement.

Parents were alerted Thursday through an automated phone messaging system, saying there had been a serious incident on campus and that the students under investigation were no longer at the school, said Stephen Hegarty, spokesman for Hillsborough County Schools.

"We've moved them off campus while we're investigating this," he said.

The suspects' parents have declined interview requests.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#286989 - 05/10/09 01:28 PM Re: Teen boy abused by other teens *Triggers* [Re: FormerTexan]
myboyhoodfears Offline

Edited by myboyhoodfears (08/31/09 11:51 AM)

#286996 - 05/10/09 03:17 PM Re: Teen boy abused by other teens *Triggers* [Re: myboyhoodfears]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
You raised a good point that I thought of a while ago: this one not a simple "assault." This was a rape. But the media never seem to associate this word with males, as if it is only a female-associated term.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#286997 - 05/10/09 03:40 PM Re: Teen boy abused by other teens *Triggers* [Re: FormerTexan]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Originally Posted By: FormerTexan
This was a rape. But the media never seem to associate this word with males

Andy,

More importantly I think that still in 2009 society at large refuses the association of the words RAPE and MALE. My former psychiatrist got into quite with me about it (about three months ago) and insisted that I had been 'sexually abused' that that was the proper defininition of what was done to me.

Anyway, back to this thread - while we all know that media's pupose in reporting is to stir up sensationalism with the aim of sales, still I can't help but see the silver lining here. The story of what happened to this boy got told! It was put out there in the public arena and can now serve as
1) one more example to parents of how they need to be more vigilant where their children are concerned;
2) permission to other boys who find themselves in similar situations that it's perfectly alright to come forward and disclose the abuse.

Let's also remember that this boy told, and that he was BELIEVED and SUPPORTED. When I was a boy that age, these types of abuses were NEVER mentionned let alone were they a prosecutable offense.

We have a long, long way to go before we find ourselves living in a society that ressembles anything close to parity between the genders - but we're closer now than we were in my youth and I think that that is something to celebrate and then build on.

#287475 - 05/14/09 12:43 PM Re: Teen boy abused by other teens *Triggers* [Re: joelRT]
myboyhoodfears Offline

i was at the hospital today, and while i was waiting for my apointment i decided to nap...

as i sat with my eyes closed, i heard two older gentlemen discussing this case,..the one was shocked to hear that the victim returned to school after the assult and did not report it...

as the two chatted back and forth, the conversation was beginig to piss me off,..they were going in the direction of blaming the victim...and i was just waiting for one of them to say something like "its his fault for not telling" or something similar,..mad

but the nurse called my name..and i was off to my apointment...sigh.

#287478 - 05/14/09 01:21 PM Re: Teen boy abused by other teens *Triggers* [Re: FormerTexan]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
Andy, newspapers have to say alleged until it has been to court and the accused have been found guilty. otherwise they could be sued and held liable should it come out that the story was wrong.

I don't know if the mother was really in denial about schools being dangerous. You should expect the schools to be safe. Schools have come a long way in the last 30 years. I think overall they are safe. Terrible things happen to people everywhere all the time. If this school had repeated case after case similar to this with different suspects then we could say the school is unsafe but an isolated incident however terrible doesn't mean the whole institution is bad.

I know for myself school saved me. I felt more at home in my middle and high school than I have ever felt at my actual house. Schools can be great they are for many kids the only structured environment that they are allowed to express themselves, learn and know that there is some one there who can help them when they need it. thats more than a lot of us ever got anywhere else so to say schools are unsafe I don't think is fair.

anyways I'm not trying to be argumentative hope it doesn't seem that way I just don't think what the mother said was all that bad.

Chris.

#287480 - 05/14/09 01:55 PM Re: Teen boy abused by other teens *Triggers* [Re: theatrekid]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

The line that bothers me:

"I want to protect him," she said. "It's so private."

I pray it's not so "private" that she never allows him therapy and support. This sounds just too much like my family and the old "skeletons in the closet" and "sweeping unpleasantries under the carpet."

As for "alleged" I was told the news has to say that or they "color the opinion" of the public and you can't find a non-biased jury if the news has been saying "The older boys did this and that" At least, that's they way I heard it.

m

Kirkridge - October 2008
Alta - September 2012
Alta - September 2013

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.