Newest Members
JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish, JPmc
12437 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
8 registered (MrsC, Sonata1, Mr. Malaise, peroperic2009, Obi, 2 invisible), 13 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12437 Members
74 Forums
63848 Topics
445829 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#286766 - 05/08/09 05:39 PM I despise violence
jls Offline

Hope this isn't off-topic but here goes...

No matter how much violence I've seen in life I refuse to act out in kind. Instead I've come to a conscious decision to renounce all violence, whether it be physical or sexual, as one of my values since in my experience violence is most often inflicted on the weakest by the weak, if that makes any sense.

#286773 - 05/08/09 08:18 PM Re: I despise violence [Re: jls]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

It totally makes sense to me. Most people who are aggressive (passive or otherwise) are acting on deep-seated insecurities in my opinion. I try to avoid violence myself, though in self-defense on an as-needed basis (especially if I am wound up) I will defend myself. But I would rather take the higher road in life. I think you can get to a place in life where people sort of become obvious and their BS and posturings stand out for what they are. Okay, end of rant.

#286775 - 05/08/09 08:33 PM Re: I despise violence [Re: jls]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Is it the buddhist monks? trained in martial arts, but then i guess that's not about violence, it's a spiritual thing as much as anything.

But i think you have to be able to fight. Violence isn't good, but sometimes i think you have to fight.

I'm not violent. But if i need to fight, i will fight. If i need to protect i will do that. The world isn't a haven. Just my opinion- there may be other ways to stop terrible people, sometimes an iron fist can do more harm than good, but some people know nothing besides their own insanitys, some people can not learn and can not understand, and they must be fought.

Violence- weakest by the weak- hmm, not sure, when i think about violence my first impression is of african leaders who slaughter their own people in such terrible ways- thats what i think of when i think of violence. If there was still enough resources in Africa for our leaders to care we would be doing more to take these people down- instead of just having the UN sit there doing nothing. Sometimes violence must be met head on.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#286849 - 05/09/09 10:38 AM Re: I despise violence [Re: king tut]
jls Offline

For the purposes of self-defence or self-preservation some times violence is necessary, although it is always regrettable. I say this because I believe that every time we resort to hurting another human being it hurts a part of our own humanity too.

#286857 - 05/09/09 11:53 AM Re: I despise violence [Re: jls]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
jls,
I agree with you. Violence is never a good thing. When attacked or threatened there is no alternative however, you can become a victim and statistic or you can become a survivor. I do not agree or support violence per se, but there are people in the world who do enthusiastically. They make it necessary to be prepared. I agree with the addage, talk softly, but carry a BIG stick. Just my opinion and may reflect on my childhood.

#286860 - 05/09/09 12:18 PM Re: I despise violence [Re: Freedom49]
jls Offline

Yes I agree that there are people who engage in violence with enthusiasm but quite often it is the weak victimizing the weak. I suppose my position on violence comes from what I am subject to at work. Just last week a guy was punched and fell backward onto the cement, smashing his head. The back of his head felt like mush and looked like hamburger. Despite how traumatic his injury was what got me is that the whole thing was initiated over $5.00 owed for a drug debt. It that way it is senseless. I see this kind of thing happen week in and week out so I suppose my conscious rejection of violence is a way to help me cope in an incredibly violent environment. I more or less refuse to participate, and by participation I include accepting violence as just the way it is in this world. Call it the opposite of "if you can't beat em, join them" I guess.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.