Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobbyJay (53), john50049 (57), Samii (34)
Who's Online
5 registered (Logan, aniceguy, 3 invisible), 24 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64017 Topics
446770 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#286563 - 05/07/09 08:44 AM physical affects
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Good Morning, I am writing this before I go to work. I am glad I have a job for several reasons but the only one I will mention here is at my job I am liked and I believe it there. I will not isolate there.

I am ok but struggling this morning as I am having gagging reflexes along with flashbacks. I haven't had one of these in awhile.

Do others have physical affects from the abuse? Affects during "recovery"?

It is comforting to know there are others out here like me.

Peace,
DJ

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#286611 - 05/07/09 01:45 PM Re: physical affects [Re: DJsport]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
DJ

Welcome to MS - I hope you find much healing here

it's quite possible that you are having what is know as "Body Memories" - I know I've had them off and on - less in the past few years...

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#286685 - 05/08/09 12:25 AM Re: physical affects [Re: TJ jeff]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Do you get gagging reflexes without any real logical reason like going to the dentist which is very triggering for me?

#286697 - 05/08/09 01:52 AM Re: physical affects [Re: DJsport]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
DJ

I hav'nt been to the dentist in over 13 years - guess that answers your question...

btw - I do consider it a perfectly logical reason that we have a gag reflex when in situations such as a dentist due to the abuse we endured

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#286699 - 05/08/09 02:22 AM Re: physical affects [Re: DJsport]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
DJ,
For a long time I have had a real problem going to the dentist and getting X Rays. They have to stick that big ol film holder in the back of my mouth and having their fingers and that thing in my mouth panics and gags me something awful. It takes forever for me to push through that and get it done but I do and I am a mess for a while after. This goes back to my childhood abuse experiencs but I did not realize for a long long time. Now that I know about it I can handle it better.

#298283 - 08/06/09 04:40 PM Re: physical affects [Re: Freedom49]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi, All.

This is a post I posted a few months ago.

The gagging reflexes have stopped. The gagging I was having were like the dry heaves.

I also lack balance at times. Does anyone have a lack of balance?

DJ

#298291 - 08/06/09 07:42 PM Re: physical affects [Re: DJsport]
didi Offline

Loc: USA
Hello DJ sport!

My son and nephew could not brush thier teeth for a couple of months due to the gagging. The Dentist is really an issue as well.

My son is currently in Occupational Therapy. The therapist informed me that he is having an issue with "His Core" which effects his balance and Motor skills. (both fine and gross)
I am currently researching if his lack of abdominal strength (core) to see if it is due to the abuse. He is a healthy boy, normal weight, very athletic and not out of shape at all. He should not be experiencing these difficulties. He did not have any of these issues before the abuse. This also effects his balance.

I am so sorry that you are re-living this experience, it is very triggering and scary. ( I live it through the kids every morning while helping them brush thier teeth frown )

Take Care, Didi

#298296 - 08/06/09 09:43 PM Re: physical affects [Re: didi]
didi Offline

Found this ...

http://books.google.com/books?id=pzbrOVj9kMkC&pg=PA69&lpg=PA69&dq=children+of+sexual+abuse+and+abdominal+problems&source=bl&ots=6uJxI2MoK9&sig=y9i6uzsppuoks4150VgVe0jPHxE&hl=en&ei=o4V7SvSnAonQM_-uxYID&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8#v=onepage&q=&f=false

(copy and paste the link)

#298361 - 08/07/09 11:58 AM Re: physical affects [Re: didi]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi, Didi.

Thanks so much for the information.

I will probably have more questions but, I want to pick up this book.

My doctors have no answers so I hope this will help.

Peace,
DJ

#298366 - 08/07/09 01:08 PM Re: physical affects [Re: DJsport]
didi Offline

Hi DJ!

I want to pick up this book as well, it is VERY informative.
If you have any questions please feel free to PM me with them.My son is currently in Occupational Therapy, Vision Therapy and CSA therapy. He has a lot going on, but collectively they are all helping him.

Take care,

Didi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.