Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63373 Topics
443138 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#285214 - 04/24/09 01:27 PM How do you know if you're depressed
Jesse92 Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Or just in a down mood for a while
I've been wondering this for a while..
Any tips?

Jesse

#285216 - 04/24/09 01:50 PM Re: How do you know if you're depressed [Re: Jesse92]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Hi Jesse.

How about keeping your mind occupied/busy? I've been playing Left 4 Dead for about 3 hours now, I don't have time to feel depressed, I'm too busy killing zombies.

#285262 - 04/24/09 08:07 PM Re: How do you know if you're depressed [Re: Hauser]
Anarion Cti Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eastern US
I'm not a doctor or a psychologist, but here's an attempt to explain it in a nutshell: Depression comes in many forms and degrees of severity, but common symptoms include long periods of time with inability to enjoy the things you usually enjoy, inability to get out of bed in the morning, constant crying, constant fatigue and malaise, sleeping too much or too little over long periods of time, etc. One or two days of being down does not usually count as depression, so far as I know, unless the patient is feeling self-destructive and/or suicidal. There are many physical causes of depression, so usually seeing a doctor first is a good idea in order to rule out medical causes of depression, such as failure of the adrenal glans or insufficient levels of seratonin. Getting into counseling is also recommended, in tandem with having a complete physical exam with blood work to see if your blood chemical levels are normal. Hope this was helpful.

"Whom have I in heaven or earth but You?"

#285297 - 04/25/09 03:13 AM Re: How do you know if you're depressed [Re: Anarion Cti]
Jesse92 Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
I just been feeling.. different lately. Esp since we moved to Thailand and even more so since something happened again.
Well maybe I will feel better again when we go back home again in a few weeks.

#286260 - 05/04/09 09:18 AM Re: How do you know if you're depressed [Re: Jesse92]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Jesse,

The symptoms of clinical depression need to be confirmed by a doctor, so seeing one ought to be your first priority. I'm not a doctor, but I can say that almost every abused teen I have worked with has suffered from depression. It's not surprising. Struggling with the issues that sexual abuse leaves a guy is a terrible emotional burden.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.