Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Daniel McKinney (35), Framery (44), JohanDoug (70), ltlkty (55)
Who's Online
5 registered (TOM2, Obi, 3 invisible), 25 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63181 Topics
441796 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#285687 - 04/29/09 01:55 AM Seeing my T
jls Offline

Tomorrow I will be seeing my counselor for the first time in two weeks yet I have no idea what to talk about, despite everything that's been going on with me lately. While she is really good at drawing me out, she shouldn't be the one doing most the work so I am at a loss at how to start. Suggestions on how to start are welcome.

#285690 - 04/29/09 02:29 AM Re: Seeing my T [Re: jls]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
start out talking about your day, something thats been on your mind, or maybe a relationship you have with someone? just a few ideas hope they help

Chris

#285699 - 04/29/09 07:17 AM Re: Seeing my T [Re: theatrekid]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
I frequently have trouble with dissociation during the session. I've printed out my posts, and let her read them and parts of my journal. That way I'm communicating even though I'm in the FOG. I then know that SHE KNOWS what I'm going through.

Jim

My Story

#285710 - 04/29/09 08:43 AM Re: Seeing my T [Re: theatrekid]
Clockwise Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
You could just start out by telling her the thing that's been on your mind he most that past week or two. Even if it's the same thing as last discussion or if it seems small and insignificant. She's there to listen so she's not going to disregard whatever it is you bring up. I'm sure your not her first client so she probably knows your nervous, most people are nervous when they have to start conversations with anyone. It's natural, just relax.

#285726 - 04/29/09 09:42 AM Re: Seeing my T [Re: jls]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: jls
Tomorrow I will be seeing my counselor for the first time in two weeks yet I have no idea what to talk about, despite everything that's been going on with me lately. While she is really good at drawing me out, she shouldn't be the one doing most the work so I am at a loss at how to start. Suggestions on how to start are welcome.

I see my T today... after two weeks... and I'm in the same boat.

Honestly.... I'd rather not go.

She does almost all the work of getting me to talk too. Wonder if that's how it is for most of us??? Would be interesting to see.

I'd give you an idea, but I'm all out...

Ohhh How about talking about the fact that you don't know what to talk about? maybe it'll lead to something.

#285815 - 04/30/09 02:48 AM Re: Seeing my T [Re: JustScott]
jls Offline

After not seeing her for more than 2 weeks its like I didn't know what to say, given that the intesity of the last session has worn off. Meanwhile I'm left with the same feelings so I'm not sure where I'm going in therapy.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.