Newest Members
Mike Boyd, Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger
12133 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
casey (45), flaredsoul (31), Madcap (29), susie24 (59)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 65 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12133 Members
73 Forums
62563 Topics
438366 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#285119 - 04/23/09 07:42 PM Work Related Stress
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA

Edited by Riley (11/04/10 09:35 AM)

#285122 - 04/23/09 08:31 PM Re: Work Related Stress [Re: Riley]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Riley,
Stress is a constant part of my life.

I take care of people on the heart/lung machine. While the surgeon is repairing whatever is wrong with their heart it is my job to keep them alive and keep them healthy while in a state of artificial shock more or less. There are no bathroom breaks, lunch breaks, coffee breaks, no breaks period. From the time the surgeon opens the chest to begin till the chest is closed and the patient is stable, I am there. I have safety systems in place but there is always the possibility of something going wrong. I can make no mistakes at all. Each run must be perfect. I have been doing this for 30 years now and yes even with all of that some people don't make it and will die during or after the surgery. I have to make sure it is not because of anything I have or have not done.

I work alone and have for many of those years. I am in the process if interviewing and hiring another person to help me now that the program is expanding. Needless to say this person has to be high calibre too.

I oversee the maintainance and cleaning of the equipment so that I know it is in good working order and I have backups for backups. I do all of this as a survivor with all that it entails. Sometimes I will spend a few minutes in restroom clearing my head of all my issues so that I can give 100 percent to the people I serve.

I think because my job requires of me a high degree of focus it has actually helped me cope by forcing me to set aside for however long the case takes all my own problems. Sometimes I will come home and just collapse and zone out. I guess we all cope in different ways.

Since discovering this site I have been able to work through a great deal of my stuff with the help of many of you. My toughest time in my whole life was when I lost access to this kind of support for a while as I had come to depend on it. I also went through a divorce, the hospital went from one surgeon to two surgeons and two heart rooms and I lost my other perfusionist to an error and am solo again for a while. I was forced to oversee the opening of the new OR suite, handle optaining new equipment and supplies, and kicked out of my home and move into an apartment on my own.

Yes I know stress. I also changed my T eventually during all this. Work stress when combined with personal stress is a killer and suicide ideation at moments looked almost like a valid option for a few minutes there once in a while but I made it.

One thing that helped in all this was the connection I had made with several people here on the site. The calls to check on me, the text messages, the prayers and emails, and instant messages were a life line. While I do not recommend off site contact, I will have to admit it may well have saved my life. I am only telling you here of part of the stress. There was a little more to it than this but you get the picture I am sure.

Moral of the story, stay connected. Do what ever it takes to stay in touch with your support network. If you don't have one GET one and get it now. Find people who will stand by you and love you though the insanity that we will occasionally go through. Whether it is therapist, doctors, friends, family, or wonderful fellow strugglers that you have never met.

Still standing with spoon in hand and bowl full, waiting for sprinkles.

#285240 - 04/24/09 06:06 PM Re: Work Related Stress [Re: Riley]
jls Offline

Hi Riley. Work and time constraint stress is an interesting topic. I work in a shelter for homeless men where both exist and are often in conflict. I hear what your saying about trying to get the job done on time. I'm a lead hand where I am so I know what it's like. I don't know what the answer is except to say that maybe we shouldn't be all about our work for the rest of our lives.

#285330 - 04/25/09 04:23 PM Re: Work Related Stress [Re: jls]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks for the responses guys.

Freedom49, I do have a support network. Its funny how you talk about the text messages. My friend sends me stupid texts all day long. I don't usually have time to reply, but it does definitely help. Keeps me grounded, reminds me their is life outside work. I should tell him that, I don't think he realizes how important they are to me.

Riley

#285560 - 04/27/09 08:31 PM Re: Work Related Stress [Re: Riley]
sirjnj Offline

Loc: USA East Coast
Deleted for Personal Reasons

Edited by sirjnj (05/25/09 12:55 PM)
Edit Reason: Google Search Access

#285641 - 04/28/09 06:30 PM Re: Work Related Stress [Re: sirjnj]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Its interesting hearing what other people do hear. I can tell you right now that, I could not do what you do Freedom, waaaay to stressful for me. All I have to do is make sure people aren't stupid to keep them alive. Although you wouldn't believe how many people clime 2 story's of scaffolding without checking it, or walk directly within the swing area of running excavators (a danger area).

Sirjnj, I can relate to the hero/villain scenario. As the foreman I get blamed for anything that goes wrong and praised when stuff goes right(rarity). It sucks.

#285644 - 04/28/09 06:54 PM Re: Work Related Stress [Re: Riley]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Want some workplace stress? How about driving a heavily-loaded semi trying to get out of Chicago in afternoon rush hour with the time ticking away for your 30-hour run 1000 miles away to Denver? Or the stress of trying to deliver a dozen deliveries in a single day around Chicago? The truck takes 3 times the distance to stop as the average car. Your boss is cracking the whip, the customers are running behind or there is a line to unload. The shipper doesn't care how much time gets wasted, and the receiver is threatening to find someone else that can get the job done on their time schedule. Every other place that you show-up at the customer is mad that you weren't there earlier. And then it starts snowing or raining really hard.

One time I had to go to the 40th floor of some highrise that was getting built on the open-air construction elevator to ask the general foreman where to park my flatbed trailer so that the rooftop construction crane could unload it. There I was, holding onto a support column, looking over the edge, 40 floors down as the foreman pointed out where he wanted my truck.

Getting called names and getting treated badly used to really raise my heartrate. I really wanted to show them who was a lot bigger more than a few times. Sometimes when traffic got really bad I would get off of the Interstate and just take sideroads so that traffic wouldn't bother me as much. Get me a big milkshake, Slurpee, or a Big Gulp and just try to cool off. Maybe take a couple-hour nap and then get back to work after rush-hour. I used to enjoy driving late at night because traffic was light.

Maybe you should take the afternoon off and get something cold to drink in the air-conditioning somewhere, then work later after your boss has gone home, when the pressure is somewhat lessened. Try to tell your boss a few jokes and get him laughing. Always try to keep him laughing and off-guard. You would be surprised how well that strategy works.

Just remember, a loaded semi takes 3 times as long to stop as your car, and will run right over your car if you get into the way. And you are in a much less safe position right alongside a semi on the highway too. It is a lot safer and less-stressful for the semi driver if you will quickly pass and give them a couple hundred feet of clearance before pulling ahead of them. Just for safety reason.

"Can't we all just get along", Rodney King.

Mark

#285648 - 04/28/09 07:31 PM Re: Work Related Stress [Re: Trucker51]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
How about getting a high-severity case of trouble for the phone system of a major banking company, and you are requested to be on a conference call (with an all-star cast of IT people from said bank, as well as a few people from your own company and a couple vendors) in fifteen minutes? And, they want a solution now, and how to prevent whatever happened in the future, since they are losing millions of bucks per minute. Even if it's not your company's system's fault, it's assumed so by everyone until you prove otherwise. This conference call takes up half of your day, and on top of this firestorm, you get pushed another case of trouble for another customer who thinks they are more important than any other, and also thinks their trouble ticket is the only work you have to do that day. Meanwhile you have a backlog of half a dozen or more cases that need customer status of some sort.

One of these days, I'm doing something fun for my paycheck.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#285666 - 04/28/09 11:18 PM Re: Work Related Stress [Re: FormerTexan]
endlessjourney Offline

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
It sounds like you grasp the concept of reality from reading your post. It's hard to separate the idea of one's performance and one's character. As we all know the economy hasn't been the greatest. I got laid off of my job with seven other people. I was in retail sales selling TV's and electronics. I was new to the whole scenario but I couldn't help but think, "they laid me off because I wasn't selling enough". I immediately started beating myself up thinking "I'm a failure, I can't talk to people, I'm not smart enough". Perhaps I didn't sell enough but it was hard times for retail and hard times for me starting to work in a new industry.

The fact I realized from my experience is, no one reaches there quotas everytime. No one will win every time. I began to mentally separate my getting laid off from myself as a character. Growing up in dysfunctional families and with CSA, a lot of us have learned to take the blame for things that weren't really our fault although certain individuals convinced us that it was. Kindof the short end of the stick being a child having to contend with kin or other perps that are older, stronger, and wiser. Fortunately, were adults now though smile.

Truth is the very reason we strive to live. It surrounds and resides within us. Accepting the truths we already know and seeking out those we do not is a direct path to inner balance and joy. For life is not a means to an end, but a journey. Life comes and goes but the truth will always live on.

#285789 - 04/29/09 10:41 PM Re: Work Related Stress [Re: endlessjourney]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

I was dealt a major setback today.

My boss was supposed to be meeting one of our subs today and when the time came my boss was no where to be scene. The guys asked if I had a plan and I said no my boss has it. He flipped out and started yelling and swearing at me. It was close to the end of the day and we were cleaning up anyway so I quietly said, "I don't know what to tell you" and got in my car and left. I don't know why but it devastated me. I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry, but no I had classes to go to.

Then I heard "Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf on the radio and I wanted to just drive. Hop on the next highway that said West and drive. No plan, no route, no destination, only a half pack of cigarettes and a full tank of gas. I wanted to run,hide, escape, anything you want to call it. I started thinking about it, picturing it, and it really calmed me down. I was gonna drive down to my brothers apartment, punch him square between his eyes and just drive till I couldn't keep my eyes open. Stop at all the little dirty diners, all the dark dive bars, and sleep at dingy motel-no-tells. I don't know why but this really relaxed me. I've never been more then a couple hundred miles from my house and I feel like I need to experience something else.

As Trucker Mark says, "We stay here, we die here"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.