Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
3 registered (traveler, 2 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63367 Topics
443101 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#285466 - 04/27/09 03:58 AM Omer Kdar
jls Offline

Omar was a 15 year old boy when he was captured in Afganistan, allegedly for throwing a grenade at a medic in 2001, one that would have been there to help him. There are questions about his arrest and interrogation, given the evidence of American air strikes on the site, plus his subsequent incarceration and interrogation at Guantanamo Bay. Omar should be considered a child soldier in every respect. His family is another story. JS.

#285511 - 04/27/09 12:35 PM Re: Omer Kdar [Re: jls]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
He should be repatriated. The Canadian Government should be ashamed. As for the family, that is indeed another story.

Jim

#285512 - 04/27/09 01:33 PM Re: Omer Kdar [Re: Geeders]
wes-b Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Western, Canada

Being this is a media story and sound bytes and what sells advertising often deviates from truth; I strugle with solid judgement in this specific situation... My understanding of what my government has done on behalf of one of her citizens I am saddened... I have wondered how different, if at all, the response would be were the detainee of Scandinavian heritage (to personalize it)???

the perpetuation of hate only begets more hatred. and those are the emotions I feel around the dynamics of international relations.

Hugs, Wes

Continuing to meet more of my fellows as I "Trudge the Road of Happy Destiny".

My Story, 1st pass

#285585 - 04/28/09 03:02 AM Re: Omer Kdar [Re: wes-b]
jls Offline

It is certain that because Omer Kadr is middle eastern he has been centred out for attention but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was captured in battle in Afganistan. On that subject, the most recent information I've been privy to suggests that when the U.S. attacked the compound he was in, Omer may have already been injured (i.e. shot) and that the American medic in question was also mortally wounded in a battle that involved friendly fire in the form of air strikes and fire fights on the ground. Just my thoughts. JS

#285679 - 04/28/09 11:59 PM Re: Omer Kdar [Re: jls]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Just a reminder of the purpose of this forum as stated at the top of the page here, the forum is specifically for posting and discussion of abuse and recovery related news items.

#285689 - 04/29/09 02:15 AM Re: Omer Kdar [Re: WalkingSouth]
jls Offline

Forgive me but I think Omer Kdar's story of being a child soldier who's imprisionment and torture in both Afganistan and in US custody at Gauntanamo Bay deserves attention at the highest order. Omer's abuse started when his father forced and indoctrinated him to go and fight in Afganistan. His recovery lies in him being repatriated back to his home country in order for him to heal.

#285711 - 04/29/09 08:48 AM Re: Omer Kdar [Re: jls]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
JLS:
While the issues you state are compelling and cry for justice, please be aware that many of us have important issues that should also be publicized. How about the rape of women and children in the Darfur refugee camps, child prostitution in Thailand, rape in prison, etc. These are all significant issues and have a link to sexual abuse (which Omar's situation apparently does not) and there are many websites that discuss ways to fight these injustices.

What we are saying here is that while the story of Omar is an outrage, it really has nothing to do with recovery from child sexual abuse and if we all brought our non-sexual abuse outrages here, there would be a huge load of compelling stories and survivors' recovery would get lost in the forest.

I sent you a pm a few days ago but it looks like you did not read it yet.
Ken

#285879 - 04/30/09 05:46 PM Re: Omer Kdar [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
jls Offline

Hi Ken. I got your pm. I guess I'm just someone who can't help but make the links between injustices, especially when it involves the most vulnerable in this world being victimized in any way, shape or form. However, that said I see your point that this board is for the discussion of sexual abuse and its after effects on people, no matter where they are, so I'll stick to that. As you said, regrettably there is no lack of material to talk about with concern to sexual exploitation of the vulnerable on this planet, which definately deserves our attention. Agreed that here we should focus on that. JS

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.