Newest Members
rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x
12367 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
bluesky (44), Brother B+ (48), emal7717 (53), estuardo (52), kwf777 (56), LeeAnne (30), mapleleafsn (52), otherside (61), ronnie (59), Scott1962 (52), thrive-n-survive (42), tom3065 (36)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12367 Members
74 Forums
63562 Topics
444099 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#284917 - 04/22/09 12:41 PM 10 Ways to Relieve Stress
terpprm Offline

Loc: Elyria, Ohio
So in class last night, we talked about relieving stress and I thought I would give you the Ten ways that I remembered, and that I thought were best.

1. Get organized. When one's life is not organized, the clutter can cause stress even for those without any type of anxiety or stress disorder. If one's life is organized, the stress of trying to locate things is reduced and the mind feels more in control of situations. Organization can be achieved through time and practice, and does not have to be done in one day. Even organizing one's desk at work can assist in making one feel more in control of situations and eliminate the stress associated with a lack of control and not knowing where things are.

2. Get plenty of rest. One of the most common reasons for stressful behaviors and feelings is a lack of sleep. If one is not getting the proper amount of sleep, the body does not have time to recover from the day and therefore can feel tired and sore. This tired and sore feeling can cause physical and mental stress throughtout the day, making anxiety more prevalent.

3. Get the right foods. Eating healthy can reduce one's chances of a brain chemical disorder and imbalance. Try to eat foods with little or no trans fat, since it blocks many of the chemical reactions in the body that are quite necessary for normal living. Try eating fruits and vegetables, as they are known for their ability to cause a feeling of enjoyment when eaten. Chocolate, in small amounts, especially dark chocolate is known to release pleasure chemicals in the brain and reducing stress. Reducing or eliminating caffeine and other stimulants is a great way to help the body deal with stress as well.

4. Get fit. Aerobic and cardio exercises are well-documented ways to reduce stress. These exercises can include taking a leisurely walk, to taking a fast paced cardio classed. These activities allow dor the brain to think on something different, such as the movements, and allows for the subconscious to deal with the everyday stresses.

5. Get a pet. Even if owning a pet is nmot possible, visiting a pet can greatly reduce one's level of stress. Petting a dog or cat is well known for its relaxing affects, for both the pet and the person. Taking a few minutes to visit a pet can greatly assist one in managing stress.

6. Look at the positives. Viewing life as a chore can cause stress, and not realizing the joys one has all around. Instead of looking at the amount of work that needs done, think of what work has been completed and how best to complete the work that needs to be done. Think about the things that bring joy into one's life when one feels stressed or over-whelmed.

7. Take a break. If one has been working for a while, taking a break can greatly reduce the amount of stress one feels. Even if working on a deadline, getting up and away from the desk for a few minutes can increase one's efficiency by reducing stress. Working hard is good, working efficient is better, and eliminating stress is best!

8. Light a candle. The light of a candle is symbolic of hope, and can cause a jump in positive chemical rections when viewed. Keeping a candle nearby also gives something to look at when reflecting on life's joys, and keeping stress at bay.

9. Relax. Many people are so focused on work and other responsibilities that they forget to relax. relaxation techniques, such as meditation, and massage therapy have long been known to reduce stress levels. People often forget that relaxing is a part of a healthy lifestyle and by skipping this aspect, people often cause more stress and feel the effects of stress more profoundly.

10. Talk to someone. The idea that "no man is an island" is very true. If one does not talk about the stressful situations in his or her life, that stress builds and can cause devastating health effects. Talk to someone, one's spouse, and best friend, and even one's dog. Though it seems like such a small thing, reaching out and talking to someone is one of the best ways to eliminiate stress, and anyone can do it. There are professionals who can help manage stress through talking, called psychotherapist. these doctors are able to assist with help for anxiety and depression, which are often theeffects of harboring such stress.

Dealing with stress is one of the natural remedies for anxiety. With these simple techniques for reducing stress levels, one should have no problem in managing daily stress and reducing anxiety levels. If these methods do not help in relieving anxiety, one should talk to one's doctor about a physical for anxiety.

I just went ahead and copied the paper word for word, since my instructor is the one that wrote it, I don't have to worry about copyright and crap.

Hope this helps!
Philip

#284932 - 04/22/09 04:32 PM Re: 10 Ways to Relieve Stress [Re: terpprm]
wes-b Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Western, Canada

Philip;

many thanks for the list... I have seen it, of variants of it, from time to time... and when I practice these suggestions I do reduce my stress level...

I also had a list of 40 stress relievers,,, these were on the comic side of things... A couple I recall off the top of my head are ;

- Make up a new language and ask a stranger for directions.
- when someone says "have a nice day" tell them you have other plans.
- see how many marshmallows you can fit in your mouth.

the list rolls on...

Love and best wishes, Wes

Continuing to meet more of my fellows as I "Trudge the Road of Happy Destiny".

My Story, 1st pass

#284964 - 04/22/09 09:30 PM Re: 10 Ways to Relieve Stress [Re: wes-b]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
Philip,

That is a excellent list.

I believe another way to look at Wes's contribution might be, "Don't take life to seriously".

For me..."The deal is that, there are really no big deals" or "Don't sweat the small stuff (and it's all small stuff)".

That being said...My ism = incredible short memory...So, it's still possible for me to forget this list and become overwhelmed at any given momment.

and still the list rolls on...

Eye of the Tiger (Survivor)

island

#284988 - 04/22/09 11:22 PM Re: 10 Ways to Relieve Stress [Re: 1islandboy]
terpprm Offline

one of my favorite exercises is to write down all the bad things in my life, and then burn it! this can do a few things. it knocks out the opoint of talking about it, if you put it on paper, AND, you can watch it burn and knock out the candle lighting one ;-) more effective if you use scented paper! LOL

Philip

#285284 - 04/24/09 11:45 PM Re: 10 Ways to Relieve Stress [Re: terpprm]
nomansanisland Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NM
hey terp!!! yes...no man is an island...we all need each other even if we think we can go it alone...you are soooooo smart!!!! great post!!! Nomansanisland!!

Edited by nomansanisland (04/24/09 11:45 PM)

#285285 - 04/24/09 11:46 PM Re: 10 Ways to Relieve Stress [Re: nomansanisland]
terpprm Offline

i owe it to my instructor ;-) thanks noman....i thought of you when we read that in class!

Philip

#285287 - 04/25/09 12:52 AM Re: 10 Ways to Relieve Stress [Re: terpprm]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Philip,

Great post - I try and do most of what you put down here and yes, I really does help.

Thanks for sharing this - it reminds me that I need to be more vigilent in maintaining this regimen.

#285288 - 04/25/09 12:53 AM Re: 10 Ways to Relieve Stress [Re: joelRT]
terpprm Offline

yes Joel, i find myself doing almost all of them, and if anyone on here knows me, i am pretty well relaxed ;-) so i guess it works.

Philip

#285308 - 04/25/09 09:38 AM Re: 10 Ways to Relieve Stress [Re: terpprm]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Phil,
I printed this one for quick reference!

Thanks!

Jim

My Story

#285347 - 04/25/09 06:52 PM Re: 10 Ways to Relieve Stress [Re: Jim1961]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Also, this is certainly "On Topic". Maybe post in "Health & Wellness"?
Jim

My Story

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.