Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
3 registered (BraveFalcon, traveler, 1 invisible), 12 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64159 Topics
447733 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#284579 - 04/20/09 11:09 AM Re: Am I saved? [Re: MarkK]
Anarion Cti Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eastern US
Thanks for reminding me of these wonderful truths, MarkK.

"Whom have I in heaven or earth but You?"

#284676 - 04/20/09 10:00 PM Re: Am I saved? [Re: Anarion Cti]
pseudo Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Gary,

As a former born-again, I struggled with a LOT of that kind of doubt. "If I'm really a new creation, and behold all things are made new, then why do I still have these same sinful attitudes about [fill in the blank]?" Whether it's lust, or any other sin.

The bottom line is, no matter what creed you believe (or don't believe), we're all human. We've got biology and experience-driven habit working against our drive to be pure.

If you've been a compulsive donut-eater your whole life, and one day decide to quit, of course you're going to struggle when you see that box on the breakroom table. Doesn't mean you're bad, just means you've eaten lots of donuts in your life. It takes time and persistence to get over it. Each time you say NO when your body says YES, that's one step toward healing. And if you give in and say YES once, it's not the end of the world. We all mess up. God forgives us. You get back up and get back on the "road of happy destiny."

Also, watch out for your mind playing tricks on you. Happens to me a lot. It convinces me that what I believe isn't really true, that it doesn't really matter, and I can go back to my old ways. That's the addict/flesh talking.

If you want Biblical reinforcement, read and meditate on Ephesians and Romans.

ps

#284836 - 04/21/09 09:42 PM Re: Am I saved? [Re: pseudo]
sojourn111 Offline

Loc: midwest
PSEUDO,
Did you have to go there ... DONUTS! I have a box of them sitting on my kitchen table that my enabling mother in law brought last night. I am eating one while I sit here and watch Biggest Loser... MAN!! Ad I feel bad for the women that gained 1 lb and did all that work.

Seriously, I like how you stated that, especially the fact that the mind does play the games with us. Gary you are an awesome person and please listen to what PS has said. The struggle is not going to lose it for you, the fact that you struggle is proof of your heart. Aspiring agaionst all odds towards what you believe.

#284857 - 04/22/09 12:01 AM Re: Am I saved? [Re: sojourn111]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

I've been following this thread with some interest. There's something about it that bothered something within myself. I finally decided what it was/is.

I grew up in a very conservative denomination. This question was always high on the list of things talked about in the discussion groups before church. It was high on the list of things being preached about from the pulpit. It was high on the things I worried about in the wee hours of the night when the evil of my ways pressed in on me.

Now, all these years later, I realize what a load of crap it all was. The "evil" ways I thought were my decisions were not mine at all. I was being SEXUALLY ABUSED. I had no choice in that. It was not my evil.

Now, I will agree that there are things I do that I am responsible for. Some of them are wrong and do damage to "my neighbor". For those I am responsible to my neighbor and my God.

Now, to my point... As humans our tendancy is to spend waaaayyyy too much time worrying about the being "saved" and way to little time worrying about relationship. IMO. Has anyone here ever considered the way the religious elite of Christ's day acted? They demanded perfect obedience to the very smallest of un>

#284865 - 04/22/09 12:38 AM Re: Am I saved? [Re: WalkingSouth]
sojourn111 Offline

Loc: midwest
That is perfectly stated and absolutely coorect.

"Better spent developing relationship with that Creator"

Perfect!

#285439 - 04/26/09 08:34 PM Re: Am I saved? [Re: sojourn111]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Gary,

What a good question. I have found I struggle from time to time, perhaps the flesh versus the spirit. It was only in the last few years I started to figure out the drive behind the temptations. In my head, what makes the temptation understandable still doesn't make it any less bearable. I personally hope my Father takes into account the cause behind the temptations. It's a bitter pill.

Andy

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#287437 - 05/14/09 03:04 AM Re: Am I saved? [Re: wojax]
Logger Offline

Loc: USA
Gary, I have in fact questioned whether I am a true Christian-- most of my life in fact. This questioning has led to a spiritual journey, and at long last, an answer. The short answer is, I'm not Christian at all-- I'm Muslim. Only Islam proved itself to be consistent with my internal belief system. On the question of personal redemption, Islam is different than Christianity in that rather than Jesus having died on the cross for our sins, we are responsible for our own. On judgment day, we bear witness against ourselves-- no one is allowed to intercede. Basically, we get what we deserve, not an atom's weight more or less. Our good deeds are weighed against our bad. Both religions (Islam and Christianity) enjoin the good and forbid the bad. Both believe in life after death. I hope I haven't offended anyone, I'm just trying to throw out a different viewpoint. Take care-- Logger

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.