Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AndyP (48), Gaius (50), JoziSA (52), mmafan66 (48), nltsaved (36), RMM (52), Steve63 (51), zenboy (51)
Who's Online
3 registered (myrlin, RepressedMem, susie), 24 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64028 Topics
446827 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#283935 - 04/16/09 08:14 PM Afraid to change
jls Offline

Seems that if I'm not taking care of myself properly I suffer less memories and reminders of the abuse. However, when I'm eating better, getting more excercise and drinking less they are more frequent and more vivid. I don't know what to do about this since I want my life to move forward yet I feel afraid and stuck. Suggestions are welcome.

#284024 - 04/17/09 12:36 PM Re: Afraid to change [Re: jls]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Coping mechanisms can be a real bitch sometimes. When I'm overwhelmed, I cope in not great ways. Smoke and drink too much, don't eat properly, do what ever I need to do to get through. The trick for me is reminding myself of who exactly is in control. Its hard, real hard somedays to stay in control, but with practice I'm getting better at it. I just need to remind myself who is in charge of me now. I am.

You may want to review what your coping mechanisms are with your T if you have one. They can often see things we can't, and that objectivity helps to map out new ways of coping.

Hang in there!

Jim

#284066 - 04/17/09 06:46 PM Re: Afraid to change [Re: Geeders]
wes-b Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Western, Canada
jls my brother...

I think you are at the edge of why many survivors stay isolated. For me there was about 8 years from my initial disclosure to my getting serious about healing. The first time I went to a hand full of therapy sessions and when it got scary I ran away... pretended I was ok... Hell, I simply numbed out with (work/food/sex) and isolated more and more until I turned back to face my demons... slowly at first and them I tipped it all over, leaving no back door for myself.

That said, let me assure you that each fear, wound, scar, issue that I have faced and worked through has taken me to a better overall place... there is still an ebb and flow to my life... the lows are higher than they used to be.

Heck I still have "fuck-it" thoughts.

When I was not working on my healing and recovery I was numb, and had few memories or flashbacks, and was truly unfeeling. I was emotionally dead and disconnected from life. Today I try to choose life, with all of it's uncertainty, and enjoy being alive.

one day at a time. :-)

Wes

Edited by wes-b (04/17/09 06:57 PM)

Continuing to meet more of my fellows as I "Trudge the Road of Happy Destiny".

My Story, 1st pass

#284072 - 04/17/09 08:10 PM Re: Afraid to change [Re: wes-b]
jls Offline

Perhaps its when I'm not taking care of myself that I'm confronted with more immediate concerns i.e. hunger, fatigue, being hung over etc, which allows me to not deal with the deeper underlying issues since all of my time is taken up with trying to get by in the "here and now". Does this make sense to anyone?

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.