Newest Members
FredM88, Vermona, Jas52, oliviaavaxj, biboy24
12109 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
-Matt- (39), kevin1963 (51), Northwoods (61), rcb0973 (58), sportinrucks (29)
Who's Online
7 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, Lost Mountain, JayBro, 3 invisible), 49 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12109 Members
73 Forums
62492 Topics
438000 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#282617 - 04/07/09 12:42 AM An idea for MS?
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
While cruising a completely unrelated support site, I discovered that they offered the following Forum:

Introductions
If you are new to the website or the forums and wish to publicly introduce yourself, post here. Tell us your story, how you came to join our family, life lessons learned, and tell us what makes the world a special place for you.

My question is could this be adapted and incorporated here at MS?

As one of the members here who makes it a point to welcome the new-comer in the hopes of making him/her feel acknowleged and thus validated I think that maybe a Forum such as the above could go a long way for all members of MS to offer a word of welcome to the new guy who takes the chance to make that first post. I have noticed that far too often these guys go unrecognized by the majority and I personaly find that to be a sad statement of who we are.

I was always under the impression that we are all here to offer each other mutual support, but sadly I'm not seeing a lot of that on the DB and most especially where new people are concerned.

Thanks guys - just my two cents

#282620 - 04/07/09 01:01 AM Re: An idea for MS? [Re: joelRT]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Joel,

I think that this is a great idea because alot of times new guys post way down on a topic or reply to an old one.
this would be an easy way for a new guy to became part of and make it easier for the older members to recognize and welcome them to M/S.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#282639 - 04/07/09 07:28 AM Re: An idea for MS? [Re: michael banks]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Joel & Mike,

I agree that an Introductions section would enhance the DB and make it a little more inviting to new guys. I had a just-registered guy (teen) enter chat one morning, and ask where the Introductions forum was. I looked to make sure and then told him "sorry." I scratched my head then wondering why M/S does not offer one.

God Bless,
Jim

My Story

#282664 - 04/07/09 12:35 PM Re: An idea for MS? [Re: Jim1961]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Generally introductions are made on the public MaleSurvivor board, although yes there is nothing bold there to indicate that that is the correct place to start. And the introductions are spread across the forum.

I think it sounds like quite a good idea, an introductions forum, that way less people will get lost on the way. I think everybody should feel welcomed. Sometimes, as Mike said, i come across new members whos first post is in reply to another topic, and then there is the difficulty of welcoming new members within somebody elses topic without "hi-jacking" the thread. An introductions forum would give more people opportunity to welcome new members.

So good idea Joel, i think it would enhance the site. I hope this is given some consideration.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#282685 - 04/07/09 07:04 PM Re: An idea for MS? [Re: king tut]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Great idea, Joel, and one that I think may encourage new guys to make that first post which is always so hard here. I'll post this idea in the mod forum for discussion and see if we can get something going on it.

Thanks,
Eddie

#282697 - 04/07/09 07:43 PM Re: An idea for MS? [Re: EGL]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
I see a fair number of new guys posting on some of the lesser public forums. I have tried to welcome them when I have found them, usually having to temporarily hijack someone's topic to do so. There have been a number of new guys lately on the sexual identity forum and a couple on the off-topic forum too. One of my own objectives here has been to help new members dispel their fears and get right into their recoveries, because it sure would have helped me when I first started therapy and groups to have someone encourage me.

I think that a new member forum might help encourage new members somewhat in that regard. We might also need volunteers to watch the new forum and be willing to help new members feel comfortable in what can be a very stressful time for them.

Mark

#282860 - 04/09/09 01:21 AM Re: An idea for MS? [Re: EGL]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Thanks everyone - I really appreciate the feedback. smile

#282861 - 04/09/09 01:23 AM Re: An idea for MS? [Re: joelRT]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Mark,

I could volunteer some time for that.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#282882 - 04/09/09 09:12 AM Re: An idea for MS? [Re: michael banks]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Coincidentally, look at this post: http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=282818#Post282818

I too am willing to monitor and say "welcome." Time permitting.

Jim

My Story

#283217 - 04/11/09 12:30 AM Re: An idea for MS? [Re: Jim1961]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
YEY! the forum is now alive!

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.