Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 25 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63175 Topics
441758 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#282291 - 04/05/09 04:16 AM cell phone
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

I finally got a cell phone. Actually it was an old phone from work that was no longer being used and I went ahead and got a new SIM card for it and prepaid for minutes on it. I wasn't ready to make the full-on cell phone commitment, but I have plenty of minutes so I suppose it is pretty much my phone.

Why is this important? I held off for a long time and not sure exactly why. I would give excuses to people but I think the biggest reason is that I wasn't worth getting a hold of and I wasn't worthy of getting a hold of others. Don't get me wrong, I have no intention to have the thing glued to my ear. But I went out tonight with some friends and it was nice to be able to get texts as to know where people were and all that. I even ran into someone I knew and phoned them so they had my number on their phone. A little thing, but it felt like progress.

Eric

#282303 - 04/05/09 08:33 AM Re: cell phone [Re: ericc]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Originally Posted By: ericc
A little thing, but it felt like progress.
Yayyy for progress!!!

Progress in our recovery is never a small thing! We always work damn hard for every inch of ground that we gain.

Good on you eric.

#282318 - 04/05/09 10:57 AM Re: cell phone [Re: joelRT]
Clockwise Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I think Joel is right, progress is never a small thing. Every step you take is a step towards progress. Congrats!

#282345 - 04/05/09 12:40 PM Re: cell phone [Re: Clockwise]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
And so it begins. In a few months you wont be able to step out of your house without your phone! but i think this is definitely progress!

Cell phones and recovery are strangely intertwined, i think, because both are about communication, and people. I strongly believe that since abuse is something that often happens in isolation, it is important that healing happens surrounded by people. There is the catch that isolation can sometimes feel like safety, but i think that is a catch to avoid.

I hope you can see a little more that you are worth contacting!

Be careful, though. Cell phones also give an easy route to isolation, because once you become more reliant on your phone, and then feel like isolating for whatever reason, all you have to do is switch your phone off and then you are basically dead in the water- so be careful of that, cell phones are wonderful for communication but also act as a big red button of avalanche when you are feeling down.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#282360 - 04/05/09 01:42 PM Re: cell phone [Re: king tut]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks guys. I still have my "land line" and intend to keep it. I want to limit the cell phone use for certain situations at least for now. My home phone does not have caller ID so I never know who is calling. I go through periods where I just let the answering machine answer it. But lately I have made a point of answering it myself whenever it rings. It felt too much like isolating when I didn't answer. There are still times when I am in the middle of somethings that I don't answer, but I can tell the difference between that and the isolating behavior.

Eric

#282538 - 04/06/09 03:46 PM Re: cell phone [Re: ericc]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Better get a chain-drive cell phone so that you don't lose it!!! They sure can come in handy when the car breaks down or something else goes wrong. I forgot mine once fling into LAX and it just happened to be the day that the guy shot-up the El-Al counter at the Bradley Terminal. I came into Terminal 3 on Frontier and had to walk past Terminal 1 just to find my ride. And I couldn't call them because I didn't have my cell phone, though finally someone else let me use theirs.

I don't know if this is common among survivors, but I was a bit slow on acquiring and learning to use technology myself. I have never used GPS, only got on the internet 4 years ago, and didn't even own a CD player until the late 1990s.

Welcome to the cell phone era, give me a call sometime,

Mark

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.