Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beluga (64), Isreal101 (65), Phil Sober (41), phil1973 (41), Teddy Bear (63)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63638 Topics
444455 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#272840 - 01/27/09 07:42 AM Re: Alcohol [Re: Hauser]
davismile Offline

Loc: Florida
Well, I had been struggling from alcohol addiction for one year. I went through alcohol de-addiction treatment and have been clean and sober since then. I found a good rehab center by using the services of http://www.recoveryconnection.org/. I'm really happy I did. I knew I couldn't kick the habit by mere determination. The rehab helped me to recover FULLY. They prepared me for the emptiness I would feel after I stopped drinking. I think that you need to seek professional counsel. I'm afraid that if you don't you may slip right back into drinking to fill the void. So seek some help - talk to professional counselors who know about addiction. Try the site I mentioned. I hope that you are able to get some help.

#272876 - 01/27/09 11:43 AM Re: Alcohol [Re: davismile]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Davis,

Welcome to M/S.
Congrats on your year of soberity.
I also found AA to be a place to find help and support on the road to recovery from alcoholism and drug addictions.
I found there friends to replace the ones that I had while I was drinking and using. Whom I had leave behind in order to stay sober.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#274679 - 02/10/09 03:05 AM Re: Alcohol [Re: michael banks]
endlessjourney Offline

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
What's happenin' bro?

Playing guitar, cruising around, and meditation were my main three. Self-improvement helped me a lot as well. I think I cleared the bookstore out of all the Self Help books they had. The drive to better myself and live a happier, healthier, and more satisfying life helped me to deal with the boredom. I know the boredom and depression hits hard after quitting according to most. I don't try to deny what is, but, I do try to look at the situation in a positive light. A great counselor I knew told me once, "You can have all of the good emotional feelings when sober, that you have when you drink. I try to look at it like, "enjoying life without the hangovers, and loss of money.
Just my little trick.

Good luck. Congrats by the way.
Jason

Truth is the very reason we strive to live. It surrounds and resides within us. Accepting the truths we already know and seeking out those we do not is a direct path to inner balance and joy. For life is not a means to an end, but a journey. Life comes and goes but the truth will always live on.

#282253 - 04/04/09 06:18 PM Re: Alcohol [Re: joelRT]
jls Offline

Hi. I just wanted to say try and remember the boredom that came with drinking alone compared to what you feel now that you're sober. I'm sure the isolation and frustration still remains but try and think of it as it's not because of the drinking, it was what the drinking was trying cover up. Just my 2 cents JS

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.