Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
12to17 (58), Aaron7712 (48), Defiance Is Best (46), Interpreter (30), Kenn (55), RichardPaulPoill (68), soul (34), Tyler845 (27)
Who's Online
2 registered (tbkkfile, wiresguy1), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63808 Topics
445577 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#281980 - 04/02/09 06:53 PM Adult or Child?
jls Offline

I struggle with this all the time, since when it happened I wasn't a child yet I wasn't an adult either. Rather, I was a minor teenager living on the street + engaging in survival sex with older men in order to stay alive. I talked about this with my counsellor recently. She started by asking me how I made money while living on the street. Despite that she and I had never talked about it before I just blurted out what happened. She was very supportive and encouraged me to look at myself in that situation as a boy rather than an adult. However, this is very hard for me since it is a challenge for me to rememeber how it felt to be a kid in general. Is this normal?

#281986 - 04/02/09 07:59 PM Re: Adult or Child? [Re: jls]
Dusty Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
jls

I think not remembering how it felt to be a kid is very normal, there are many of us here that feel the same. You did what you had to do to survive.

Dusty

#281999 - 04/02/09 10:02 PM Re: Adult or Child? [Re: jls]
christianfather Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TN
Originally Posted By: jls
However, this is very hard for me since it is a challenge for me to rememeber how it felt to be a kid in general. Is this normal?

I don't remember what it was like being 14-16

#282018 - 04/02/09 11:48 PM Re: Adult or Child? [Re: christianfather]
Tinman Offline

Loc: Lake Forest, CA
Jls, varying degrees of memories of being a child are common in survivors.

I remember before and after. Not in between so much.

To the perps: Don't worry about me coming after you. But you damn well better watch out for God! "Vengeance is mine", saith the Lord

#282075 - 04/03/09 09:28 AM Re: Adult or Child? [Re: Tinman]
stan12 Offline

I don't remember much feeling like a kid either. As I kept surpressing feelings and memories, I remember being very angry when I was 14-16 and constantly got into trouble. In fact, I sought out things to do wrong like vandalism.

#282078 - 04/03/09 10:05 AM Re: Adult or Child? [Re: jls]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
I was never a child and have no idea what that feels like. I have said all my life that I was born old.

I remember my childhood - every stinking bit of it, I just never felt like a kid. I was in perpetual survival mode all time.

I started turning tricks at fourteen, just after I escaped my 'familly home' and I continued to make my money that way until I was twenty eight.

Turning tricks was easy for me and a natural progression in my life. The violence, in all of its manifestations, that I grew up in set me up for a life on the streets. I couldn't believe at first that men were actually offering me money for what I had be forced to give for free when I was younger.

To survive on the streets at fourteen, you'd better be damn grown up. So no, I was never a kid, don't have a clue......

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.