Newest Members
Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive, BCtejas
12495 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
8 registered (JHNebraska, jahfree, BuffaloCO, dew, 2 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12495 Members
74 Forums
64163 Topics
447752 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#281980 - 04/02/09 06:53 PM Adult or Child?
jls Offline

I struggle with this all the time, since when it happened I wasn't a child yet I wasn't an adult either. Rather, I was a minor teenager living on the street + engaging in survival sex with older men in order to stay alive. I talked about this with my counsellor recently. She started by asking me how I made money while living on the street. Despite that she and I had never talked about it before I just blurted out what happened. She was very supportive and encouraged me to look at myself in that situation as a boy rather than an adult. However, this is very hard for me since it is a challenge for me to rememeber how it felt to be a kid in general. Is this normal?

#281986 - 04/02/09 07:59 PM Re: Adult or Child? [Re: jls]
Dusty Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
jls

I think not remembering how it felt to be a kid is very normal, there are many of us here that feel the same. You did what you had to do to survive.

Dusty

#281999 - 04/02/09 10:02 PM Re: Adult or Child? [Re: jls]
christianfather Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TN
Originally Posted By: jls
However, this is very hard for me since it is a challenge for me to rememeber how it felt to be a kid in general. Is this normal?

I don't remember what it was like being 14-16

#282018 - 04/02/09 11:48 PM Re: Adult or Child? [Re: christianfather]
Tinman Offline

Loc: Lake Forest, CA
Jls, varying degrees of memories of being a child are common in survivors.

I remember before and after. Not in between so much.

To the perps: Don't worry about me coming after you. But you damn well better watch out for God! "Vengeance is mine", saith the Lord

#282075 - 04/03/09 09:28 AM Re: Adult or Child? [Re: Tinman]
stan12 Offline

I don't remember much feeling like a kid either. As I kept surpressing feelings and memories, I remember being very angry when I was 14-16 and constantly got into trouble. In fact, I sought out things to do wrong like vandalism.

#282078 - 04/03/09 10:05 AM Re: Adult or Child? [Re: jls]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
I was never a child and have no idea what that feels like. I have said all my life that I was born old.

I remember my childhood - every stinking bit of it, I just never felt like a kid. I was in perpetual survival mode all time.

I started turning tricks at fourteen, just after I escaped my 'familly home' and I continued to make my money that way until I was twenty eight.

Turning tricks was easy for me and a natural progression in my life. The violence, in all of its manifestations, that I grew up in set me up for a life on the streets. I couldn't believe at first that men were actually offering me money for what I had be forced to give for free when I was younger.

To survive on the streets at fourteen, you'd better be damn grown up. So no, I was never a kid, don't have a clue......

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.