Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
4 registered (petercorbett, GT13568, 2 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63412 Topics
443341 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#281915 - 04/02/09 08:40 AM '______ has removed themselves from this topic'
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
how does that make you feel when you see that in a your private message mailbox?

the first time i experienced that, i thought some one was angry with me, and was cutting me out of their life with the marked disdain of a door slammed shut. that felt like i was being condemned to the pits of hell. can't help but wonder 'was it something i said?', which quickly deteriorates into 'what's wrong with me?'.

silly me, huh?

as i think about it though, i get the idea that probably a lot of people have this reaction, initially, and it's not just a 'me' thing.

i just wanted to let people know that if i have 'removed myself from a topic' it's only because i'm trying to keep my mailbox organized.

by the way, what is a 'themselves' and how does that relate to a singular individual when 'selves' is plural? was there a rule for that in elementary school? idk crazy

inquiring minds want to know,

ron

#281920 - 04/02/09 09:26 AM Re: '______ has removed themselves from this topic' [Re: Sans Logos]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Indeed - the forum's word choice is incorrect. It should be "himself". The problem is, there is no singular pronoun in existence that can apply to a person of either gender. There's either "him" or "her", but nothing when the subject can be either male or female. In literature, an ambiguous pronoun is given first as male, then as female, and then male - switching back and forth over the course of the text. But since we don't talk the way we write, most people have fallen into substituting "them", "they", or "their" when talking about a singular ambiguous subject, even though those are plural.

Edited by melliferal (04/02/09 09:28 AM)

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#281933 - 04/02/09 10:54 AM Re: '______ has removed themselves from this topic' [Re: melliferal]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
thanks melliferal....very informative. ron

#281948 - 04/02/09 02:42 PM Re: '______ has removed themselves from this topic' [Re: Sans Logos]
lars3229 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa
Ron, I had the same reaction the very first time this happened to me. Then i realized that when I was tidying my mailbox, I had been doing it to my friends as well! Oops! LOL

Now we all know. smile

Ken

like dust,
I'll rise.

-Maya Angelou

"I quite often remember to forget these sorts of things."
-Winnie the Pooh, The Tigger Movie

#281951 - 04/02/09 02:58 PM Re: '______ has removed themselves from this topic' [Re: lars3229]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
in all our training docs - it would say 'themself', not 'themselves'

not that it means anything - but then again, if 3 people drop, would you get 3 messages, or one? in which case the plural again would right.

this is why i hate writing "Standards" or at least one reason

m

#281958 - 04/02/09 04:50 PM Re: '______ has removed themselves from this topic' [Re: MarkK]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
In my own case, I have participated in somewhere near 300 PM topics during my tenure here, and so I have had to send that message out over 100 times to different people. I have moved a number of shorter topics to Word and have just deleted a number of others. And I am still carrying 194 PM topics today, leaving me only 6 available for new business. I have had to ask a number of people to reuse the same PM topic to save me space.

Perhaps the solution would be to offer more PM space or the possibility of a PM archive where PMs could be moved to save space in the current PM file. That way nobody would have to get the message that seems like I don't care anymore to some. I'm sure that most members never use their full PM space, yet I have used 50% more than my available PM space in just 10 months, and I'm also sure that many of the senior members are in the same boat as I'm in with having to delete PMs to save space.

Just a suggestion for our webmaster.

Thanks Nathan,

Mark

#281970 - 04/02/09 05:36 PM Re: '______ has removed themselves from this topic' [Re: Trucker51]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I dont like it when people remove themselves from PM topics either, i always read over it to see if i said something wrong, but i guess it is necessary, especially with the mods, since there is only limited space. So i understand. Maybe in the next site update more PM space could be an idea?

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#281973 - 04/02/09 05:52 PM Re: '______ has removed themselves from this topic' [Re: king tut]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Originally Posted By: king tut
but i guess it is necessary, especially with the mods, since there is only limited space.

The mods actually have a capacity of 10,000 PMs each. Seems ridiculously high to me, but it's configured by the software and we have no control over it. Likewise, the member limit of 200 seems really rather low. Hopefully, UBB will increase that or parameterize it in the future.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.