Newest Members
Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss
12364 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bear (42), BoyNoMore (56), Daniel_05 (40), James Landrith (44), john kay (41)
Who's Online
2 registered (susie, 1 invisible), 24 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12364 Members
74 Forums
63542 Topics
443969 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#280852 - 03/26/09 09:44 AM Why do people build homes on flood plains?
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/weather/03/26/floods.north.dakota/index.html

Let's see. Here is a river. Here is a river bank. Here is the history of this area: floods every 20 years. Hey!!! Let's build a house here!!!

Are people really truly stupid idiots? The answer is: YES

#280853 - 03/26/09 10:18 AM Re: Why do people build homes on flood plains? [Re: Hauser]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Hauser

floods every 20 years. Hey!!! Let's build a house here!!!

Hauser

I ask myself this question every year when the fires break out in California. Wealthy and supposedly intelligent people build expensive houses in the hills over Los Angeles and other California cities where the natural vegetation burns periodically. In fact the plants there, called chaparral, are not able to propagate themselves unless they burn periodically. They have always burned periodically. They dry up every year so that they can burn. So, to repeat your question: Is this stupidity?

Then I cringe sick eek when I see this on TV and they talk about rebuilding their homes with disaster releif money from US.

The same is true with the wealthy people who build their expensive homes on the outer banks on the eastern coast of the USA. These areas are typically subjected to hurricanes periodically. So, we see in the news coverage how these homes have been swept away again. Why don't they learn? Again you hear about government relief payments to rebuild their expensive homes.

That is taxpayer (our) money used to rebuild these expensive homes which would predictably be swept away.

Now let's ask your question again. Who is it that is stupid?

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#280860 - 03/26/09 10:51 AM Re: Why do people build homes on flood plains? [Re: pufferfish]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

It's not me, I've never once voted for a politician that supported government welfare. In other words, I've never voted for a Republican or Democrat in my life, and I doubt I ever will, especially with how they're ruining the economy even more now.

#280863 - 03/26/09 11:04 AM Re: Why do people build homes on flood plains? [Re: Hauser]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Hauser
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/weather/03/26/floods.north.dakota/index.html

Let's see. Here is a river. Here is a river bank. Here is the history of this area: floods every 20 years. Hey!!! Let's build a house here!!!

I feel very much the same way when I see a house here, perched precariously on the very edge of a deep river valley wall - or occasionally even "hanging over", where the street-level floor of the house is actually the second floor, and the lower floor seems to be hanging off the side of the cliff. I've seen how quick erosion can eat away at valley walls, and like the flood-plain houses you've mentioned, it isn't an "if" question at all, but merely a "when" that house is going to take the tumble.

No sense whatsoever.

Edited by melliferal (03/26/09 11:05 AM)

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#280864 - 03/26/09 11:08 AM Re: Why do people build homes on flood plains? [Re: Hauser]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
London is basically all built on a flood plane too. I know the thames barrier is mostly for surges, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is a flood plain, so not the best choice for a place for a capital city- in some ways.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#280867 - 03/26/09 11:32 AM Re: Why do people build homes on flood plains? [Re: king tut]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
YOU WANT FUNNY?????????????

Lorie wants us all to MOVE THERE ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder how I'll look as a slack-jawed MO-ron being interviewed from a boat in my front yard.

"Well.......we never have this shit in New Haimpshire....ooops...thar goes my house flo-tin a-way......huh......the tornadoes tooked my kids last months....but I guess life is better here....I'm mean....you gots these fun rescue boats and all....huh"

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#280877 - 03/26/09 12:18 PM Re: Why do people build homes on flood plains? [Re: pufferfish]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: pufferfish
Again you hear about government relief payments to rebuild their expensive homes.

Are you sure? I was under the impression it was insurance payments - thought the government money went to rebuild public buildings and infrastructure.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#280878 - 03/26/09 12:21 PM Re: Why do people build homes on flood plains? [Re: melliferal]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Only the Federal Government offers "flood insurance", since private companies aren't stupid enough to offer it.

(did I actually teach Mel something?)

#280898 - 03/26/09 02:15 PM Re: Why do people build homes on flood plains? [Re: Hauser]
lars3229 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa
Personally, I find it offensive to call people stupid because of where they choose to live. If that's the case, everyone is stupid:

Those who choose to live in near wildfires. Those who live where tornadoes and hurricanes annually destroy property and lives. Those who live where snowfall can collapse their roof. Those who live in places where termites eat at their walls. Those who live in areas of high crime.

No one is stupid. They may made bad choices, but stupid? Seems a bit harsh, but maybe it's just my mood.

like dust,
I'll rise.

-Maya Angelou

"I quite often remember to forget these sorts of things."
-Winnie the Pooh, The Tigger Movie

#280899 - 03/26/09 02:20 PM Re: Why do people build homes on flood plains? [Re: lars3229]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
What about New Orleans?

Floodplains are good places for farms. The farmer has to have somewhere to live. But . . .

Allen

pufferfish whistle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.