Newest Members
Jerone, teba, Serpenta, mojo, James M
12114 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
chrisH (34), Malaki619 (32), worcester2003 (51)
Who's Online
11 registered (BraveFalcon, innervoice, maxxie, 6 invisible), 64 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12114 Members
73 Forums
62508 Topics
438071 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#279831 - 03/17/09 01:29 PM help for a friend/student
shethingsd Offline

Loc: Belize, Central America
Hi,
I am a female teacher in Belize, Central America. I have students tell me about their experience, probably because I work with gender based violence, teach self defense to women and girls and talk openly about surviving abuse. I have a student who I am at a loss for advising. He is a survivor of sexual abuse from his three older brothers, an uncle, and another adult male from about the age of 7 years. He is now 19 and confused about his sexuality. He has had some relationships with males and females and claims an equal attraction to both. He also claims that he does not want to be attracted to males and is always adamant that he is not homosexual or bisexual. I am not sure what to do to help him. I have told him that it is ok whoever he is and that I will not judge him, but this culture is very homophobic and there is really no qualified counseling to speak of. I was a social worker in the USA for many years working in child welfare and family therapy, but honestly was never confronted with issues of male abuse and wanting to deny or change sexuality. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Renee

#279847 - 03/17/09 04:36 PM Re: help for a friend/student [Re: shethingsd]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Renee,

You might introduce him to this site if he would be interested.
There are alot of guys here whom have been thru experiences very like that which he has experienced in his life.
There are some young guys here inrecovery to whom he might be able to relate such as King TUT(lewis) and others
Also there is a bookstore on this site where you could get books that address the issue of Childhood Sexual Abuse that he could read.
Two that i really like are Mic Hunter's "Abuse Boys and Mike Lews' "Vistim No More". But there are alot more.
He is lucky to have a teacher such as you to care about him and what he has gone thru.

Pm me if I can be of any help to you or him.

Wish you both the best

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.